I wish I could do this one, but I've already committed to the NC Recon, Carolina Tactical and hoping to get in the Ft. Benning 3-gun. Best of luck though and kick serious butt with the Saiga-12!!

Fred and I will be there. We are leaving for the FNH Wednesday, and then will drive directly over to the Iron Man. Hell of a road trip :)

I noticed Jack's name on the squad list, too :D

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

It was nice to have met you guys and all the help keeping the Saiga running. Saiga 12s were very well represented this year. You cats are great to shoot with, I gotta get down to Texas and see ya'alls digs down there.

Hopefully people will post some pics... cause I managed to come away with only 6 pics the whole time...

Great Match, Great people, still sore, headed home

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

I was there, shooting in Open but still using my old Beretta Extrema as I didn't get my Saiga in time to modify it for the match. Saigas were VERY well represented indeed, 3 were on my squad of 12 shooters & very nicely done too. One Saiga went down due to the ( if I recall correctly) disconnector shearing in half, would have been an easy fix if the shooter had some spares with him. I saw Dusty use his Homer Simpson (!!) gun to great effect & RJ had his R&R Racing Saiga running nicely too. Dusty & RJ both placed in the top 10, RJ being 3rd so the Saiga is the shotgun to have in Open..

I made mention to several folks that the Saiga is going to level the playing field in Open class & some new folks are going to start winning matches. The shotgun part of 3 gun has always a major factor in winning & losing; he who can reload the fastest has the advantage. Using a tube gun with sticks requires the shooter to develop fine motor skills whereas changing a mag in a Saiga, even without a mag well is a gross motor skill that even the dumbest African peasant can master pretty easily.

SinistralRifleman won Trooper again this year so congrats to him, well deserved! :super:

A friend at the match (thanks Pete!!! :wub: ) gave me a Gunfixr gas reg to start me on the path of creating my Saiga comp killer so watch this space for the results..... :D

Thanks Gman. This is definitely the match to use a Saiga-12 at. The Saiga-12 again gave me an advantage in trooper class. Mine ran fine the whole time, only getting a little sluggish on chambering the first round out of a magazine towards the end of the match. The few times that happened I just slapped the bolt into battery.

This match just gets better and better every year!

The stages this year were set up in such a way that they ran more efficiently, and were easier for shooters to understand without as much RO direction on the stage. Though the round count was slightly lower, the match was no less challenging. As usual, the ROs and staff did a great job of keeping the match running and helping shooters through the stages.

Stage 7, the totally blind Pirate-Hostage escape stage is quite possibly the best stage I have seen at a 3 gun match ever. Very creative and challenging. Thanks to Sam and the guys for making that happen.

Thanks again to the Gibson family for putting on the most technically challenging and physically demanding match in the country!

Congratulations to all the other competitors who completed the match in Trooper class. Simply finishing the match in Trooper is no easy accomplishment.

Edited by SinistralRifleman
A friend at the match (thanks Pete!!! :wub: ) gave me a Gunfixr gas reg to start me on the path of creating my Saiga comp killer so watch this space for the results..... :D

Yer Quite welcome. Pay back for kindness from one of your fellow 7th Armored Brigade Soldiers in the First Gulf War. Now lets see what your Saiga morphs into.

Stage 7, the totally blind Pirate-Hostage escape stage is quite possibly the best stage I have seen at a 3 gun match ever. Very creative and challenging. Thanks to Sam and the guys for making that happen.

I gotta agree that was indeed one of the funnest things I have ever shot in any Three gun match. I hope Sam dreams up some more stuff like that. The belt fed 240 Golf at the end was a REALLY nice touch that didn't have to be there. I am sure that cost Sam a small fortune.

The stage did provide one of the funniest moments in the whole match. Sam yelled at one of our squad walking up to the stage to hurry up and run down the road.

"This is the RUN part of run and gun ! ! !"

To Which Ian Harrison (former British Army) Strode up purposefully and replied in his British accent

"Officers never run, it scares the men."

The look on Sam's face was priceless.

Congrats on winning trooper, Russell that is an ass kicker to even finish. One guy in my squad was wearing NO KIDDING La Sportiva Makalu's (serious mountain climbing boots) so as not to twist an ankle humping all his gear from stage to stage.

HARD CORE ! ! !

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Edited by IPSC_GUY

The match is over :)

SinistralR won Trooper again; Ian (the guy in the great story) took third in Trooper. Some fat ass took sixth in Open, somehow, despite blinding incompetence. Squad 7 was Saiga-Heavy and a great bunch of hard working SOB to boot :D

Alex

The match is over :)

SinistralR won Trooper again; Ian (the guy in the great story) took third in Trooper. Some fat ass took sixth in Open, somehow, despite blinding incompetence. Squad 7 was Saiga-Heavy and a great bunch of hard working SOB to boot :D

Alex

I just got the results to open and DUDE ! ! ! you beat Beven Grams ! ! ! Holy Cow plus in overall you were way ahead of Bob Novack and Travis Gibson and a WHOLE slew of others.

I dream about being near the top...

--------SIGH---------

Someday and tens of thousands of rounds later...

Yeah Squad seven was Saiga heavy. Again Tell fred for all his help with mine. Nothing like going into a big match like this and having Super Saiga Gunsmiths right in your own squad.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

I had a couple of fair stages. The funny part, looking at the stages I screwed up royally, is that even if I didn't screw them up I would have been (at best) moved up two places. Lardy, lardy, dem boys is fast :haha:

No problem (on the Saiga advice) :D

What is the point of figuring stuff out if you won't share? Tony, Bob, Jack...all have helped Fred and I figure stuff out, and we threw out what we knew right back ;)

Now that DI, LLC is the THIRD Saiga conversion crew to build a gun for Taran Butler has us running scared...he is a hell of a shooter (and a really funny guy), but picky as hell. He sent the Tromix gun back, sent Jack's gun back, and now asked us to build one for him. This may hurt (laughs)

Alex

First let me say that I am new to this. Have been shooting the local USPSA matches for about 5 months. I want to get into 3 gun. I definately want to go to the Ironman next year. I would really like to pick someone's brain on all this. Any willing subjects, please PM me. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Randy

• 1 month later...

Just got back on this forum and am happy to see the Iron Man supported here so well.

I just shot my first one this summer and loved it.

My 63 yr old father completed it as well, so anybody thinking it's to hard needs to just give it a try. He also won the Heavy Rifle Raffle of a DPMS 308. It's probably one of the best 3 days of training anyone can participate in, and is going to make you a better shooter no matter what.

I was the only Heavy Rifle Trooper this year, and my LR308 AP4 cost me horribly the whole damn match. It Jammed at least 5+ times on 9 of the stages. Then towards the end my saiga started turning into a straight pull single action. All the cleaning in the world would only help for so long.

Congrats Russell, It's cool to meet you on the web, and looking forward to seeing you next year.

Austin Hecker, who won "Limited" posted some vids of Iron man online.

Here's a perfect example of my worst stage. Warning Profanity!

Just got back on this forum and am happy to see the Iron Man supported here so well.

My 63 yr old father completed it as well, so anybody thinking it's to hard needs to just give it a try. He also won the Heavy Rifle Raffle of a DPMS 308. It's probably one of the best 3 days of training anyone can participate in, and is going to make you a better shooter no matter what.

I was the only Heavy Rifle Trooper this year, and my LR308 AP4 cost me horribly the whole damn match. It Jammed at least 5+ times on 9 of the stages. Then towards the end my saiga started turning into a straight pull single action. All the cleaning in the world would only help for so long.

Congrats Russell, It's cool to meet you on the web, and looking forward to seeing you next year.

Good on Ya for shooting the Ironman and tell your father he is hard core for coming out as well. By the Third morning of getting up at O-dark Thirty I was Tired. I normally work nights and having to shift from going to bed after midnight and getting up when ever to going to bed at 2300 and getting up early is OHHHHHHHHHHH so much fun.

What major issues were you having with both the rifle and your Saiga? My experience with the Ironman is that the Saiga gas port area and plug must be cleaned EVERY NIGHT with out fail. The huge amount of gas (and lead) will seal ya up tight if left unattended.

IPSC_GUY

• 2 months later...

Good on Ya for shooting the Ironman and tell your father he is hard core for coming out as well. By the Third morning of getting up at O-dark Thirty I was Tired. I normally work nights and having to shift from going to bed after midnight and getting up when ever to going to bed at 2300 and getting up early is OHHHHHHHHHHH so much fun.

What major issues were you having with both the rifle and your Saiga? My experience with the Ironman is that the Saiga gas port area and plug must be cleaned EVERY NIGHT with out fail. The huge amount of gas (and lead) will seal ya up tight if left unattended.

IPSC_GUY

Sorry just checked this post from a long time ago.

My 308 was double feeding and stove piping.

My Saiga was Bang, click, rack, Bang, click, rack. I was cleaning my gas port after every stage it sucked so bad! I'm bring two this year just in case.

• 1 year later...