Tech sights now available

thanks for the heads up, ive been waiting for those for, well, forever.

The rail might be better for some people, but this really is a nice rear sight (ive seen a prototype) especially if you dont want to mount optics, this is a good way to go, and a definate improvement over the stock sights. Regardless, it is definitely nice to have options.

I think that only took like 4 years.

Now for the million dollar question. Are the tech sites designed to work if you cut the dang tang? From the picture it looks like the answer is yes.

I'm not finding much in the way of rails with integrated rear peep site that work without the rear tang.

Edited by cscharlie
Now for the million dollar question. Are the tech sites designed to work if you cut the dang tang? From the picture it looks like the answer is yes.

I'm not finding much in the way of rails with integrated rear peep site that work without the rear tang.

I believe they do, though im not 100% positive. I do know that it doesn't mount to the rear tang screw, so i cant see why it wouldnt work without the tang. Also, the maker of the rail system that Post-Apoc linked to told me that he has a version coming out/in the works specificaly designed to work for underfolder AK's. You might want to ask him about that. www.texasweaponsystems.com/index.html

I'm no AK expert, so please help me understand ...

But part of what makes an AK an AK is the design of the bolt and they action that occurs during firing. The bolt slams back against the rear compressing the spring, strips a round and closes the bolt. That slamming processing is why guys install those blue "buffers". Won't the process of firing basically be slaming the bolt / spring back into the rear sight each shot?

I like the concept, it just seem "flawed".

-Bryan

I'm no AK expert, so please help me understand ...

But part of what makes an AK an AK is the design of the bolt and they action that occurs during firing. The bolt slams back against the rear compressing the spring, strips a round and closes the bolt. That slamming processing is why guys install those blue "buffers". Won't the process of firing basically be slaming the bolt / spring back into the rear sight each shot?

I like the concept, it just seem "flawed".

-Bryan

The idea is that the sight sits in the same dovetail your recoil spring/dustcover latch does, all the way to the rear, and that the action can only push it back into the end of the dovetail, so it wont move. it further has screw adjustments to keep it from tilting with movement. The S12 is the only AK that i have seen the bolt carrier actually smash into the rear trunnion (and then its going to hit the front of the trunion long before it actualy hits the end of recoil assembly) and in most cases that is just due to an over abundance of gas (ie, the wrong setting for a given load.) I dont need a peep sight on my shotgun, personally. I dont think this will have any problem on any AK unless your bolt flies back hard enough to knock your spring assembly out of the dovetail and blow your dust cover off, and then im guessing you have bigger problems than sight picture.

Of course, theory is theory and practice is practice, we wont really know for sure until a few more than the handfull of people who have tested one to date put one on a rifle and put it through its paces.

Edited by ReverendFranz

It attaches using the rear recoil spring trunnion slot. It should be stable (?)

The thing I don't like is look at the gaps and edges where the sight base attaches to the new dust cover. It just doesn't look finished and the last thing the AK needs is more sharp edges to snag shit and cut up your hands during serious training drills.

I had very high hopes I guess, their other sights look well made and smoothly integrated.

Just my .02..

The only review Ive seen answers everything I wanted to know. Its a good sight which the AK never really had before since I dont hang a bunch of crap off rails of a MBR. Iron sights is the only thing that makes sense for an AK. Wish is was less costly though but what in this biz is ever cheap.