Help me diagnose my Saiga 12 problem.

Ok, here's the deal. I was firing my newly converted saiga 12, that I just finished. I was using a MD Arms 20 drum. It was loaded with federal's military grade buck shot. I inserted the loaded mag and released the bolt. Took aim, pulled the trigger, bang, the empty shell ejected, and the new one loaded. I pulled the trigger and the trigger didn't move. I cleared the loaded shell thinking it short stroked or there might be a misfeed. After pulling the bolt back and clearing the recently loaded shell with a new shell. She fired just fine. So instead of semi auto, it became a bolt action shotgun.

I do not beleive it was the drum at all. I beleive it was my conversion. I used a tapco double hook trigger. I harvested the disconnector spring from the old trigger group. I am wondering if this might be the problem. Any other ideas or solutions?

thank you all.

Edited by ihateliberals

Did you take off the top cover and check to see if there is any debris stuck down near the trigger or maybe one of the spring legs has managed to slide over and bind up. I know there are several posts from the past about placing a slight bend in the hammer spring legs to keep them from sliding over and binding. Just some thoughts....

No worries, sometimes its hard to search for what you don't know you are searching for..LOL Glad you were able to find the posts and I believe that CSS (forum business member) has some videos that show where to bend the hammer spring as well.

I used a tapco double hook trigger.

Why the double hook trigger?

Did you mod the receiver for the double hook?

(And is it binding?)

Did you mod the trigger for the S12 (remove hump)?

Edit: Yes, the hammer hump.

Thanks Chile.

Edited by Spartacus
I used a tapco double hook trigger.

Why the double hook trigger?

Did you mod the receiver for the double hook?

(And is it binding?)

Did you mod the trigger for the S12 (remove hump)?

Removal of hump is from the hammer, and if using a BHO, you need to remove about a 1/8 off the side of the hammer, or it too could bind.

Tho I guess that those wouldn't directly affect the overall ability to pull the trigger.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I'd bet $10 it's one leg of the mainspring, (the side with the BHO), "wandering" over and interfering with the trigger due to recoil. This seems to be a very common problem. I guess I got lucky with my mainspring. I try to push it over to the trigger to simulate the problem.. it pops right back out where it's supposed to live, (just finished my conversion.. pics soon as I get my Krebs sights mounted).

I cycle mine many many times (empty) anytime I take apart the FCG (which isn't often becaise it's a pain in the ass). I test the BHO, check out all the parts, and watch all the movements to make sure nothing is going to screw up when I take it to the range. That's how I caught my spring problem. I just bent the legs inward a bit in the middle and now they don't interfere.

Yes I modified the receiver for the double hook and no that is not sticking. I also filed down the hammer so it will work with the bolt hold open.

Would the spring moving over cause it to be become a bolt action? Like I said after a manual cycle of the bolt, she will fire, then I cycle by hand again and it will fire again. Extraction/feeding is not an issue.

thanks again,

Chris

Chris, sounds like your gun is missing the disconnector and the hammer is riding home.

You fire, trigger is pulled, hammer misses Discon, follows the bolt, no bang, no clicky.

Then you rack the bolt, trigger is NOT pulled, hammer catches in the trigger, then you pull it and BANG.

I'd say you're hammer is missing the discon.

EDIT.

Re-read your post, so the trigger won't move after each shot? is it not resetting? Can you push it forward after each shot manually and fire? If that's the case, the leg of a spring is falling off, (Probably the right side one) and it's failing to reset the trigger. Bend the spring leg out a bit towards the BHO and it should be ok...

~SN

Edited by SaigaNoobie
Ok, here's the deal. I was firing my newly converted saiga 12, that I just finished. I was using a MD Arms 20 drum. It was loaded with federal's military grade buck shot. I inserted the loaded mag and released the bolt. Took aim, pulled the trigger, bang, the empty shell ejected, and the new one loaded. I pulled the trigger and the trigger didn't move. I cleared the loaded shell thinking it short stroked or there might be a misfeed. After pulling the bolt back and clearing the recently loaded shell with a new shell. She fired just fine. So instead of semi auto, it became a bolt action shotgun.

I do not beleive it was the drum at all. I beleive it was my conversion. I used a tapco double hook trigger. I harvested the disconnector spring from the old trigger group. I am wondering if this might be the problem. Any other ideas or solutions?

thank you all.

I just finished a conversion too and after the first test fire (which went fine) I decided to polish the hammer, follower, and bolt. To do the hammer I just pushed down the sheppards hook and pushed out the pin, polished, and reinstalled. When I reinstalled the sheppards hook it went up into the last coil on the mainspring, not up against the pin. This caused the action to not reset correctly. It was a little had to see the problem at first but when corrected all was fine again. Point is, maybe the same thing might have happened here.