Anyone know if you can vang comp a saiga 12?

I suggest calling them. Hans is, I believe, rather old school and prefers the telephone over e-mail. Hans will sometimes answer the phone. He is much more informative and helpful than whoever the younger guy is who answers the phone.

I doubt that they will do a Saiga, just my gut feeling. When I have called and spoken to Hans, I got the feeling that he prefers working on Remingtons, Mossberg 590A1s with the heavy barrel and maybe Winchesters.

One of my 870s has a Van Comp ported barrel. It looks awesome, but I cannot comment on the claimed recoil reduction because I also have an Endine on that particular shotgun. As to providing a tighter pattern, I lack sufficient expertise to comment on that. I do know it puts out a very nice soaked telephone book blasting pattern!

I would like to know what you find out from Hans.

Question for the Experts - Would porting the Saiga 12 barrel alter or affect its ability to cycle shells, particularly the dreaded lower recoil variety?

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

If the Vang Comp process is like Mag-na-port (which it looks almost exactly like) then the vents are done by EDM and not drilling or milling and could possibly be added to the Saiga-12 barrel. Vang Comp also usually does a back-boring as a package with their shotgun barrel work. This, I believe cannot be done to the Saiga-12 due to the hard chrome lining. Just my opinion, you may be able to save some bucks by using a mid-barrel comp or muzzle-brake.

Will,

Porting should not effect the cycling to any great extent that I'm aware of. Now it may have some minor effect to your shot patterns.

Edited by Ronswin

Magnaporting affected the cycling on an 1100, had to upsize the gas ports. Makes me think it would affect a Saiga because it seems more sensitive than the 1100.

Edit to add the barrel was cut to 18 inches on that 1100 so that may have contibuted.

Edited by A307
  • 1 month later...

King Armory says they are coming out with replacement barrels so I have been thinking about getting one when they come out and send it to Vang for his treatment minus the porting.

Great pattern with everything and less recoil. Win, win. Should not affect the gas system too much.

I have had a Vanged 870 for years and love it.

KKAHN

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but I just came across it and I have an answer to the original question...

IIRC, back in 2005 or so, I asked Hans Vang about getting done to one of my Saiga-12s. The OE barrels are too thin walled to be done successfully and he wont do 'em. He has tried on his own. If these new barrels are of thicker construction and more consistent/higher quality, he may be able to do them. FWIW.

-P.