Saiga 7.62 finished conversion

A few months ago I asked about converting a Saiga into an AK-103 clone. I researched everything that I needed to do and was all ready to do the conversion myself.

I saw many examples of great looking rifles on this forum from people of all experience levels and felt I would be able to accomplish it as well. However, it was quickly pointed out that to be a true clone I needed a folding stock. I thought about it for awhile and decided that I really wanted that feature. I'm not a machinist/welder, so I contacted Keith at TAC-47 Industries to do the conversion for me.

All I can say is I'm very pleased with his work. I was a little worried by the "red jacket incident", but that was resolved and Keith is a stand up guy who takes pride in his work.

img0009e.jpg

I didn't go to extremes to make it a perfect ak103 copy. But it's a great rifle and I'm very happy with it.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7766/img0015liv.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7819/img0019peu.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2535/img0021mkn.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3103/img0022lwu.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this forum, you're all a wealth of knowledge.

Looks very nice!

I didn't go to extremes to make it a perfect ak103 copy. But it's a great rifle and I'm very happy with it.

You didn't?

You're as close as you can get in this country.

I think your rifle turned out pretty fantastic, dhlogic. :up:

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the entire weapon appears to be the same flat black.. from the stock to the muzzle brake. Looks like a durable, high quality finish. But it's that AK-103 folding stock which really sets it apart... that's one feature my rifle doesn't have that I wish it did.

The main thing that I didn't do to it was change out the gas block to one with the lug for the grenade launcher. I kept the stock one.

AK-334.jpg

I'm glad the finish turned out the way it did too :) The rifle was completely stripped and parkerized and should prove to be very durable.

Thanks for the kind words.

The main thing that I didn't do to it was change out the gas block to one with the lug for the grenade launcher. I kept the stock one.

AK-334.jpg

I'm glad the finish turned out the way it did too :) The rifle was completely stripped and parkerized and should prove to be very durable.

Thanks for the kind words.

If you don't mind me asking, what did this set you back? Like you, I am no machinist, and am not too proud to pay someone who knows what they're doing?

FQ13

AK-334.jpg

Hmmm.. my SGL20's gas block has that lug on it. Unfortunately it's ground down on the sides. :(

No grenade launching for me, I guess. :lol:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
You didn't?

You're as close as you can get in this country.

Nice looking gun. but he is correct its not a muesum replica. There's quite a few small details missing if you really want to go that far. Functionally, there would be no difference between his gun a mueseum replica other than looks, so for most people who aren't heavy collectors, there is simply no point in it. But, if you're interested in what makes a collectors gun, I can point out some of the differances.

First and foremost, punch welds on the FSB and gas block.

punchwelds.jpg

The proper selector stop, proper engraving, and auto stop.

103selector.jpg

An actual Russian trunion with Russian folding stock, not the K-VAR one

103stock.jpg

Removal of the ugly import and commercial markings. This requires a builder who is a licensed 07 Sot So that they can claim they built a new rifle using an old receiver. Perfectly legal, but not cheap. Also, proper dimples, izmash factory logo, and firing prrof should be installed/retained. Now would also be a grest time to get the serial number engraved on the left hand side of the action cover, make sure you have a late model Russian rear sight, Russian sling, and a correct 7.62 103 brake [NOT a reamed out 5,45 brake as so many people tend to use].

103markings.jpg

Then you'll have a mueseum quality replica. I did it... and it was damn expensive.

ak103a.jpg

Hope that explains it some.

At any rate, he's still got a fun shooter that will likely out last all of us and be a lot of fun to plink with. Use it in good health.

redsoldier has it right, thanks for typing out a thorough reply. As he has stated, going that far costs a lot and really brings it up to the next level. I don't have Russian magazines or bayonet either, they are both Bulgarian. I've read this forum for months and getting my rifle to be close to ones like yours was my goal.

Speaking of price, as someone asked about it earlier. When I bought my Saiga, I wasn't sure how far I'd take it. When I did, I thought maybe I should have bought a SGL-20 to start with instead, for cost savings reasons. However it would have ended up being pretty close after all was said and done.

Don't worry about it, dhlogic.

Redsoldier doesn't have a 'museum replica', either.

Both of you are more accurate when calling your rifles "ak-103" clones than any of these wannabes who slap a fixed stock on their Saiga and install military front end parts, though.

Nalioth,

Give me a break!

In defense of those of us (like 1918 and I) that have done everything EXCEPT the integral AK103 folding stock, I think it is a hell of a lot closer to an AK103 than a AKM.: 90 degree gas block, AK103 size piston carrier and bolt, 24mm FSB and brake, polymer, stainless steel lined AK103 handguard. Have we now gotten an "ultra level" exclusive club where only those who can afford to retro fit their Saigas with true 103 stocks can call them AK103 clones? I guess I will have to call mine an ALMOST clone, hahahaha! :rolleyes:

Nalioth,

Give me a break!

In defense of those of us (like 1918 and I) that have done everything EXCEPT the integral AK103 folding stock, I think it is a hell of a lot closer to an AK103 than a AKM.: 90 degree gas block, AK103 size piston carrier and bolt, 24mm FSB and brake, polymer, stainless steel lined AK103 handguard. Have we now gotten an "ultra level" exclusive club where only those who can afford to retro fit their Saigas with true 103 stocks can call them AK103 clones? I guess I will have to call mine an ALMOST clone, hahahaha! :rolleyes:

redsoldier forgot to laser inscribe a "pin hole" on the right side and tack weld a pivot pin head on the left side for his 'museum replica'.

. . . but yeah, if it ain't got got a side folder, it's not real close to being an AK-10x clone (no AK-10x rifle has ever been issued with a fixed stock)

dear god, people on here are rediculous. Came here for help and share a love of guns, and I do get wanting it to be "perfect" but some have way too much time and money.....

dude, you got a great looking gun, congrats! it's not officially a russian issue weapon but we ain't in the russian military so you'll be fine. I'm about to convert a 2nd gun to an ak 103 look.... don't plan on a cleaning rod (wouldn't use it), a new FSB and bayonet isn't likely, and my stock won't fold most likely cause I don't need it too (REAL CQB will lead me to grab my shotty). some will turn up their noses, I'm more worried about it's functionality and my ability to kill if needed, don't plan on installing the climate controled museum vault with LED lighting and a queue line either

there are times this forum is great, but there's a few times it's just fucked up..... just sayin

Nalioth,

Give me a break!

redsoldier forgot to laser inscribe a "pin hole" on the right side and tack weld a pivot pin head on the left side for his 'museum replica'.

. . . but yeah, if it ain't got got a side folder, it's not real close to being an AK-10x clone (no AK-10x rifle has ever been issued with a fixed stock)

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah! It's still closer to an AK 103 than an AKM! To each his own. I guess I will never be a member of the "real AK103 side folder snob club" I am so sad, wah wah! If you want blasphemy, when I can get a Saiga 12, I'm not going to convert it! Just better sights for deer hunting.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah! It's still closer to an AK 103 than an AKM! To each his own. I guess I will never be a member of the "real AK103 side folder snob club" I am so sad, wah wah! If you want blasphemy, when I can get a Saiga 12, I'm not going to convert it! Just better sights for deer hunting.

I don't plan on joining that club, either.

We'd have to repeal a 1986 law for me to think about it.

My 'fixed-stock-not-an-ak103' comment was not directed at you, but at the folks who trumpet their "AK-103 clone (with a fixed stock) is an "accurate depiction"".

I don't plan on joining that club, either.

We'd have to repeal a 1986 law for me to think about it.

My 'fixed-stock-not-an-ak103' comment was not directed at you, but at the folks who trumpet their "AK-103 clone (with a fixed stock) is an "accurate depiction"".

Thanks, I understand that! I was just messing with you! Maybe we should call them "WABAK103" for WanABe AK 103s! Hell you can call mine a CETME or Gyrojet Rifle for all I care, I still love my Siaga. The stock refinish job on my GP WASR 10/63 I also picked up is almost done. It will be my Saiga's ugly stepchild! :rolleyes:

dear god, people on here are rediculous. Came here for help and share a love of guns, and I do get wanting it to be "perfect" but some have way too much time and money.....

dude, you got a great looking gun, congrats! it's not officially a russian issue weapon but we ain't in the russian military so you'll be fine. I'm about to convert a 2nd gun to an ak 103 look...some will turn up their noses, I'm more worried about it's functionality and my ability to kill if needed, don't plan on installing the climate controled museum vault with LED lighting and a queue line either

there are times this forum is great, but there's a few times it's just fucked up..... just sayin

:lolol: Thanks Phoenix, you saved me a post. I couldn't agree more.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

wow, and I thought I was just offering some information on how it could be done closer since some asked how it could have been done closer... never saif he had to do it, or that there was anything remotely wrong with hsi rifle either. Some people are certainly touchy.

Incidentilly, I inquired about adding a "fake pin" and was STRONGLY advised against it.

dude, you got a great looking gun, congrats! it's not officially a russian issue weapon but we ain't in the russian military so you'll be fine. I'm about to convert a 2nd gun to an ak 103 look...some will turn up their noses, I'm more worried about it's functionality and my ability to kill if needed, don't plan on installing the climate controled museum vault with LED lighting and a queue line either

:lolol: Thanks Phoenix, you saved me a post. I couldn't agree more.

Gotta part ways with you guys, time+effort=cool in my book. Gotta respect a man that goes the extra mile for authenticity...