Finally New Conversion Goes to the Range

After installing the Dinzag bullet guide; after buying some East-Bloc milserp magazines; after installing the ATN sight... I finally got to shoot my converted SAIGA. I went out to a 100 yard range to sight it in. Started at 25 and worked out to 100 yards. Groups at 25 were as expected and very tight. At 100 yards the rifle was shooting about 8" high. While I read about some of you with your sub-MOA groups, I was very pleased with 9 ring (6 inch) groups with the red-dot reflex sight. The dot just about covers the 9 ring on a Palma 100 yard target. I put about 150 rounds down range without a problem. I am very happy with my rifle and extremely happy that I completed the conversion. I don't believe a $995 Arsenal has anything on my $550 conversion other than a flash hider.

post-18034-1246120856_thumb.jpg

nice work.

What kind of red dot? (edit.. oh, ATN is the brand, I thought it was some craxy acronym the kids are using)

Is that painted on your stock or photoshopped?

looks great, Tapco forearm looks sharp too.

Edited by kope007

is the tapco handguard confertable with the rail on the bottom, i was going to get a utg quad rail and leave the top part of cuz i like leaving the gas tube naked but im thinking the tapco handguard is cheaper and it looks nice. I also like your buttstock, unique and makes the overall rifle look nice.

Nice conversion. I bet your red dot is the reason for the large groups. Red dots are usually 3 MOA on just the dot. That has you out to 3" at 100 before you even take a shot. Then the side mount you have is going to move on every shot. Don't care how hard you tighten it down because the fact it's a side mount adds another 1 MOA so your already at 4" groups before you shoot.

Go to your irons and you will reduce your groups. Or if you need the red dot go to a tactical rail front hand guard into a scout configuration.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

is the tapco handguard confertable with the rail on the bottom, i was going to get a utg quad rail and leave the top part of cuz i like leaving the gas tube naked but im thinking the tapco handguard is cheaper and it looks nice. I also like your buttstock, unique and makes the overall rifle look nice.

I don't think that would work with utg cause it doesn't attach to rifle at all, just top piece to bottom.

nice work.

What kind of red dot? (edit.. oh, ATN is the brand, I thought it was some craxy acronym the kids are using)

Is that painted on your stock or photoshopped?

looks great, Tapco forearm looks sharp too.

The "Infidel" on the stock is applied. I then sprayed a few coats of matte clear to seal it. I got it from the Gabe Suarez site.

The handguard works fine. You don't have to attach the rail. I place my hand behind the rail and in front of the magazine. It cost less than $45.

Ted, great looking job!!

There is nothing like the feeling of doing the conversion yourself, huh!!!

You're absolutely right. When I bought the Saiga, I rationalized ALL the reasons to leave it as it was. Then I started reading this forum. After you remove the first rivet, you're committed. It wasn't hard and nothing was ruined. Like the wise man said... we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

:super:

I don't believe a $995 Arsenal has anything on my $550 conversion other than a flash hider.

:haha: Aside from a dimpled receiver, Higher end furniture, cleaning rod, proper handguard retainer, non-neutered rear sight, FSB with bayonet lug and muzzle brake your right......a $995 Arsenal build doesn't have anything on your conversion. :haha:

I don't believe a $995 Arsenal has anything on my $550 conversion other than a flash hider.

:haha: Aside from a dimpled receiver, Higher end furniture, cleaning rod, proper handguard retainer, non-neutered rear sight, FSB with bayonet lug and muzzle brake your right......a $995 Arsenal build doesn't have anything on your conversion. :haha:

C'mon Sal.. you're right, but don't be a dick. The OP's proud of his rifle, don't piss on his parade. :D

C'mon Sal.. you're right, but don't be a dick. The OP's proud of his rifle, don't piss on his parade. :D

Heh, yeah, I retract the dickishness! Ive been eating pancakes and girl-scout cookies all morning.

Hey I do have a question for the OP though: What is with the "infidel" logo? I saw a guy with a patch on his range bag that said that as well. I mean I don't understand what thats about? Is that some brand that Im not aware of or something?

Edited by bigsal

Heh, yeah, I retract the dickishness! Ive been eating pancakes and girl-scout cookies all morning.

Hey I do have a question for the OP though: What is with the "infidel" logo? I saw a guy with a patch on his range bag that said that as well. I mean I don't understand what thats about? Is that some brand that Im not aware of or something?

Infidel is what the muslim community calls all people who arent muslim. Its also a slang term for any of us (US Soldiers) over here in the sand. You see alot of guys that have been over here that have infidel patches.....its kinda like a big ol' F*** you.

Infidel is what the muslim community calls all people who arent muslim. Its also a slang term for any of us (US Soldiers) over here in the sand. You see alot of guys that have been over here that have infidel patches.....its kinda like a big ol' F*** you.

AHH! Never knew that, thanks RedneckSoldier. Why would they call US soldiers infidels? Seems kinda F*cked up. Dunno If repeating the negative term is any better though. Its kinda reminds me of black dudes who use the N-Word all the time.