so im thinking about getting into reloading. i know with the way ammo is now it isnt quite the cost saver it once was but i need another hobby and well i think itll be fun. so any suggestions on primers? loads? powder? and bullets? im looking for some long range accuracy. thanks to everyone in advance the people in here are nothing but helpful and im sure this topic wont be any different!

Edited by yugritin

Primers - whatever you can get these days, harder ones are a bit better for the saiga but I've shot soft ones without any slam fire issues (CCI's work fine, winchesters a bit softer, federals softer yet)

Powder 4895 is a decent powder to start with, or you can use something like ramshot tac. Just get yourself a couple reloading manuals, so you can develop a short list of powders that might work with the 308, then go shopping and see what you can find on the list. Develop a load off the powder, and select a bullet that works with the powder's speed (see manual)

Bullets, pretty much anything is digestible by the saiga, but most people stick in the 150 to 168 range. In my experience, most any bullet in that weight range will work, but for best accuracy you will want to sort them by weight. As you might expect, costlier bullets have a tighter weight range than less expensive ones. For longer range accuracy, you might start with some 168's and see how it goes. Get a few boxes of 100 and see what your gun likes.

In fact you find people who can develop good loads based upon almost whatever's available within reason (but I do not recommend doing so for starters). Always start on the light end of charges. Better accuracy is found with weight sorted bullets, and closely measured charges. Even at that, your gun will have preferences for loads that you'll need to figure out through experimentation. Good luck.

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff

I am working up a load right now using 155gr Lapua Scenars,IMI brass,Varget powder,Wolf primers because I just happened to have those components laying around and need to use them up and the results are quite promising.

Reloading is fun and the day you find a load that really makes your particular gun shine makes it all worth it :D

so im thinking about getting into reloading. i know with the way ammo is now it isnt quite the cost saver it once was but i need another hobby and well i think itll be fun. so any suggestions on primers? loads? powder? and bullets? im looking for some long range accuracy. thanks to everyone in advance the people in here are nothing but helpful and im sure this topic wont be any different!

Accuracy....with a Saiga? Just kidding....

To start with, a single stage press, new or used. A set of dies with a full length sizing die, new or used, Lee dies are great. A Lee Perfect powder measure, Some hard primers if they are for an autoloader, If you are reloading for a .308, the suggestion for 4895 powder is good altho the poster did not designate the brand of powder. I use IMR 4895 but the Hodgdon powder is a great powder along with Varget. For cost considerations, 150 gr bulk bullets are good and give me the best and cheapest groups in my AR. Range pickups are a good start for the brass, use less powder in the military brass.

You will need case lube and case trimmer and a powder scale, along with a deburring tool.

Get a book or two on reloading, The Lee manual is a good read for a beginner. Then decide what you want to do.....

• 4 weeks later...

If you look for one manual, I'd suggest Lyman's 49th. It is pretty generic, full of info, trim case length to, etc.

Also, most ball or spherical powders require magnum primers for the best burn. Just load 1/2 grain lower and go from there and check the presure signs on your brass.

Military brass is different inside, and needs to be reduced in load for starting, around 10% at least.

Saiga .308 Winchester has a 1:12 twist rate. Keep that in mind when reloading for bullet weights.

You should get better accuracy when you find a combination of powder and bullet that your particular rifle likes.