Whenever I bring up Tesla in a conversation, people rarely if ever know who the man is or many of the things he is responsible for. Each one of us uses some type of his technology every day. He should have been hailed as one of the great heros of his time, yet is sadly not even taught about or noticed by anyone. He had so many great inventions and we owe so much to him, that it is a shame he was screwed over by so many and died penniless. He truly understood electricity and had some very innovative ideas about electrical and mechanical devices. I would think that if he were alive today he would be a major threat to the thugs in power that want to control us so badly. One can only imagine what he could have accomplished with modern materials at his disposal.

Back in the 70's we used to wander into the hanger and watch the "Project Tesla" goings on at a little "Abandoned" base in Nevada. It was neat as hell to watch them make lightening and nail airplanes with it inside a big old B-17 hanger.

If you can find the PBS Nova special on Tesla floating around somewhere, it's great to watch. Telsa was the original mad freaking scientist, and that's pretty epic. It's a shame he had no business sense, but nobody can have it all. He was too busy laying the foundations of technology for the next hundred years or so and couldn't be bothered with things like worrying about marketing strategies, or making blueprints on paper instead of in his head, or not making a wicked awesome Tesla Coil missile defense system a la Command and Conquer: Red Alert, or not implementing wireless energy transfer over 60 goddamn years before anyone else even really understood how it worked.

Happy birthday Tesla.

Edison invented electricity. I know. I read it in a textbook. :rolleyes:

If Tesla were alive today he'd be working for the Gov. or he wouldn't be alive today.

The entire reason we have Edison and not Tesla is that Edison's child was sold & taxed and Tesla's would have been given...

Edited by VincentYGB
Whenever I bring up Tesla in a conversation, people rarely if ever know who the man is or many of the things he is responsible for. Each one of us uses some type of his technology every day. He should have been hailed as one of the great heros of his time, yet is sadly not even taught about or noticed by anyone. He had so many great inventions and we owe so much to him, that it is a shame he was screwed over by so many and died penniless. He truly understood electricity and had some very innovative ideas about electrical and mechanical devices. I would think that if he were alive today he would be a major threat to the thugs in power that want to control us so badly. One can only imagine what he could have accomplished with modern materials at his disposal.

My daughter was given a summer reading assignment in the 4th grade to read a biography of someone born before 1900. She asked me for a suggestion and I recommended this book: http://www.tfcbooks.com/mall/more/242ntsg.htm

I told her that we will play a joke on her teacher to see if she who he was. My daughter reported back that her teacher

was searching the net to figure out who he was. Student teaching the teacher.

:)

Yakdung

A few years back, Ford was testing one of his engine designs for production. It was a very simple design that had a bottom plate with "peaks and valleys" that rotated and the pistons rode around the plate in a stationary position. Very simple and elegant. Few parts. I had a video of the operation, but cannot find it. Ford made a big deal of it at the time, but never followed through. I think it used reed valves or something for the induction and exhaust. It was very efficient. Tesla also made possible the hydroelectric dams with his idea that fluid would cause it's own coupling effect, much like when you try to pry apart plates that have been immeresed in water that won't easily separate. I think a lot of his ideas are laughed off because they involved long distance electrical transmission (which he proved would work), ray guns, time travel, the Philidephia Experiment, etc., But from what I've read his documents were seized by the feds before/after his death. The man was so far ahead of his time that it is scary, he is recognized by Congress as having inventing the radio, despite what you may believe about Marconi. His death ray is suppoesely divided into 7 sections, and only when the 7 countries that hold each piece of the puzzle unite, they might then discover it secrets. That's cool about your daughter Yak!

Edited by BronCobraJet

Without Tesla, none of us would be here on the 'net, because He invented practical electric transmission. He also invented the Tesla coil which made the spark ignition engine possible. We still use Tesla coils in every gasoline engine.