Disabling the folding butt safety lock

I think this is a legitimate topic. The Philippines actually has some fairly enlightened gun laws.We have many freedoms. Many of our lawmakers are firearms collectors and hobbyists. Registered Gun Owners here are usually a happy, peaceful lot...many of whom are hobbyists. Crimes occurring with registered firearms are almost unheardof. Almost all gun crimes are committed with loose firearms (I'm a newspaper editor...I would know...). Unlike Russia and other countries we here in the Philippines do not have laws governing how short your shotgun can be. So this folding stock safety issue is not really applicable.

I shot my Saiga for the first time and when our host saw my shotgun he mentioned he had one and had the safety disabled. I said "Wow. Cool. How did you do that?". Then he mentioned something about a gunsmith "grinding something down". Currently (Who Knows? The Situation May Change...) as a food entrepreneur and newspaper editor I do not have a practical use for a folded butt Saiga that can fire (I'm sure having one would be Hellishly Fun). Then also the thought of someone "grinding" my much beloved Saiga 12 tends to inspire some pretty hurtful feelings.

My question is...If it were legal in your country to have a firing folded stock saiga would you go through this modification? If it meant "grinding" on your beloved Saiga 12?

My question is...If it were legal in your country to have a firing folded stock saiga would you go through this modification? If it meant "grinding" on your beloved Saiga 12?

You can have a folding stock firing S12 in the US. Well, in most states anyway. Some states don't allow folding/telescoping stocks at all :rolleyes: .

Edited by 22_Shooter

Well I'm going to guess that izmash exports the folding stock guns with the lock that engages some sort of trigger block. I'm guessing that is a simple mod to one or two parts. The reason they do it is to make the gun safer to transport, folding the stock turns the safety on and it won't fire.

I don't really see the use. My brother had a folding stock on his for awhile, I fired it folded a few times. Painful hard to control, slow follow up shots. Since you hold it in about the same place as you would with a stock its not really more compact.

Well I'm going to guess that izmash exports the folding stock guns with the lock that engages some sort of trigger block. I'm guessing that is a simple mod to one or two parts. The reason they do it is to make the gun safer to transport, folding the stock turns the safety on and it won't fire.

I don't really see the use. My brother had a folding stock on his for awhile, I fired it folded a few times. Painful hard to control, slow follow up shots. Since you hold it in about the same place as you would with a stock its not really more compact.

No, it's got nothing to do with safety (except of those bungling children).

It's a law that was made in some countries that is similar to our barrel length laws. The countries in question didn't want anyone to be able to fire a shorter weapon.

to actually answer the OP's question, Yes, i would do it, and have seen it done, (though im afraid i dont know the details of the modification) it should be a simple mechanical modification, and it will only make the firearm more versatile, with no downside that i am aware of. It is an extraneous safety that has no practical purpose, other than to slow the deployment of the weapon. You may not need it, but if you think about it, and you ever did need to quickly respond to a threat at close range, is there any reason you would want to be kept from being able to respond immediately, after taking off the standard safety, or would you rather take the time to unfold the butstock (and thereby limit the maneuverability of the weapon) before being able to respond? Also, as is the case with all extraneous safeties, introducing one more disabling system only creates one more point of potential failure, and removing it, will only ensure that your shotgun is that much more reliable, and immediately available when, and if you ever do need it.

Now, if you are not willing to do it yourself, and im sure there are members here who can give you more guidance, and it isnt a feature you particularly feel you need, I would consider how much you are willing to pay to have it done. If the price is too high, you always should ask yourself if you would rather improve something that already works for what you need it for, or if that money would be better spent on something else, like ammunition :)

Personally, i would take a good hard look at how it works, and pull out my set of files.

Edited by ReverendFranz
I think this is a legitimate topic. The Philippines actually has some fairly enlightened gun laws.We have many freedoms. Many of our lawmakers are firearms collectors and hobbyists. Registered Gun Owners here are usually a happy, peaceful lot...many of whom are hobbyists. Crimes occurring with registered firearms are almost unheardof. Almost all gun crimes are committed with loose firearms (I'm a newspaper editor...I would know...). Unlike Russia and other countries we here in the Philippines do not have laws governing how short your shotgun can be. So this folding stock safety issue is not really applicable.

I shot my Saiga for the first time and when our host saw my shotgun he mentioned he had one and had the safety disabled. I said "Wow. Cool. How did you do that?". Then he mentioned something about a gunsmith "grinding something down". Currently (Who Knows? The Situation May Change...) as a food entrepreneur and newspaper editor I do not have a practical use for a folded butt Saiga that can fire (I'm sure having one would be Hellishly Fun). Then also the thought of someone "grinding" my much beloved Saiga 12 tends to inspire some pretty hurtful feelings.

In the autonomous republic of Tzatzikistan is legal, so I can provide you with the info.

The bad people at Izmash have specifically inserted two long rivets above the offending metal bar so you will not able to just pull it off. One can punch the rivets out but you will have to unflattering holes left in the side s of the receiver. Easiest and snickier is just insert a dremmel with a cutting disk on the left side of the receiver and carefully grind the abusive metal rod in half. This thing is tuff because it is steel. Cut litlle at a time so you will not cut your receiver.

Then with a set of thin pliers unfold the metal bulge in the front piece which folds around the hammer if remembering well. With some effort you will get rid the front piece and then the other half will get off.

Clean your receiver from the debris, fold your gun and the safety should go to fire position.

Joe