Tapco 30 rd mag failing

Has anyone else tried these? My Tapco 30 rounder does not feed properly. It looks cool and matches my stock tho. I think it shot 2 or 3 rounds before failing. After further inspection it seems really flimsy. Did I just get a dud or are these junk? Thanks for any feedback.

I doubt they're all junk (consistency, after all, is rare), but I've heard others mention issues with them, the only one I've had my hands on could only be loaded to 27 rounds. Tapco is now a board member, you might try sending them a PM on the board, emailing them, or calling them. Good luck!

It's actually my prefered magazine for my AK's.

I have traded several Combloc steel mags for Tapco mags (on another forum).

Now they have come out with a 20rd AK mag, but I can't find anyone with reasonable pricing (yet). I'd love to have some of those for my Ak pistol.

Tapco20rd.gif

Edited by TheDarkHorse

I actually tried this thing on my draco ak pistol. It fit really tight. 100 round drum is really fun with the akp. Thanks shandlanos for the tip, I will try to contact Tapco. Darkhorse, Im taking from what you say that they are usually reliable and I may have overloaded it or this particular one is just bad. I will try it with 27. Thanks.

Anyone else have any similar issues with this mag?

mine work great i have 2 30 rounders they take all 30 rds you just have to empty them and reload them a few time if they wont take all 30 then everytime after that they will, if anyone knows of any mag coupler that fit the tapco's lemme know

...the only one I've had my hands on could only be loaded to 27 rounds.

Tapco had a issue with over length springs on the early mags. They offered to replace te springs on the mags that would not fully load.

Actually, you can trim your springs, or as I chose, slightly shorten the follower to allow it to fully load...I liked the heavy spring for reliabllity purposes.

Can you describe how it malfunctioned? Might as well send an email to Tapco and see what they say. They'll might exchange it for a new mag if you write them.

I've got 4 Tapco 7.62x39 mags, and they have not malfunctioned yet. They take 30 rounds no problem and fit snug in my Norinco.

Thanks guys, I will contact them. The problem with it is that it stopped loading after about 3 rounds and my akp jammed. It was kinda tough to lock it in, really tight. When I took it out it was jammed up about an inch down, and the plastic seemed really flimsey. Thanks for the advice, it sounds like they work well for you all. I will contact Tapco. Thanks

It was kinda tough to lock it in, really tight. When I took it out it was jammed up about an inch down, and the plastic seemed really flimsey.

They seem to make these with some oversize material on the rear latching point, so they can be "fitted" well. As they come, they are to tight in some weapons. Material removed, slowly & with care, off the TOP of the rear lug addresses this.

As for the jam...sometimes the followers have some excessive "flash" from the molding process that needs to be smoothed.

If you want to addres those, it probably will make it work.

In any case, the mag, replaced or not, will have to be fitted to the weapon.

Good luck.

Edited by lollygagger

The fit should be tight at first....that's the way you want it.

"Fitting" can be done several ways.

The way I prefer, is sitting in my comfortable chair and taking each mag and inserting it (not forcing them) into each AK I own about 4-5 times each. This way, any excess wears away from the sides and the tab without going overboard. With use, they will rock and lock as good as any steel mag. Mine fit all my AK's and still have a snug (not tight) fit.

Gentle filing is the next best way.

Avoid using a dremel at all cost!

Thanks a lot guys. I will try putting it in all of my ak's to break it in a little. I had never filed a mag until I recieved my MD20 for s12. With $ on the line I was thrown into the fast lane. I did a great job so I am somewhat confident in my ability file,tho I dont have much experience. Thanks again.

Update: I have some more info on this mag. After taking it apart I have found that the follower is rubbing on the inside of the mag, causing it to get stuck. Without the spring in the bottom of the follower, the follower moves easily through the mag without rubbing or getting stuck. Only when the spring is inserted into the follower for reassembly does it rub and get stuck. The spring is fit so tight it pushes out on the sides of the follower causing the rubbing ,then the failure to feed. Any ideas? I thought about squeezing the spring with pliers to stop it from putting pressure on the sides of the follower. Does this sound like it might work?

I have fixed the problem! To resolve the above issue I replaced the follower with a metal one out of a 5 rounder. It now feeds perfectly. I then slowly filed the sides until it fit easily and very snug. I just took it to the range and it worked flawlessly! I like the way you can use the mag as a forend grip for AK pistols. It has a good grip and is legal.

I know this isnt the WTS/WTT thread butiil put it here anyways cuz fi i dont get any takers ill just keep them

I have 2 new Tapco 30 rd mags ill sell for $40 shipped or trade for 1 30 rd Bulgy Waffle Circle 10 pm me if interested

also if u have any 30rd cirlce 10 waffles ur trying to get rid of pm me

and Tapcos work great but i have a bunch of Circle 10 40 rd mags and i want some 30 rd mags to match