WARNING ** AK Bullet Guide ** WARNING

I finished the mechanical part of my conversion and cycled the gun 10 times and it worked with out any problems

I loaded one bullet and tried to cycle the gun but it would not lock.

I had to call Mike at Firing Line and he not only help me extract the bullet but he explained what happened and how to fix it.

Suffice to say, the rivet I removed that makes the bolt rotate and lock in is in a different position them the ramp on the original bullet guide.

If you use an original AK Bullet guide you have 2 options

1. The easy way is to cut off the ramp so it fits under the original rivet.

2. You can remove the rivet but then to file the ramp one stroke at at time until it hand cycles and locks in with out any resistance. You do this with just the bolt, no spring or carrier

I will have to do #2 since I removed my rivet, which incidental is the more correct way to do it.

Due to time constraints I don't have time to take images but I will fit my bolt to my ramp tomorrow and post pictures.

Right about now I am wishing I had paid $30 for a Danzig Bullet Guide kit.

Feel free to say "I told you so" :)

Thanks

I considered drilling through the Bullet Guide from the outside and re-installing a new rivet But Mike said I could fit my bolt to the ramp as long as I'm patient and only take one file stroke at a time

I just notched mine around it. That said, I already had one from K mart.

Dinzag's kit comes with everything needed and is designed for the Saiga.

Edited by Boba Debt
I've read it someplace, but will recall from memory. Doesn't that rivet on the left side serve the purpose of starting the bolt to cam into position for firing (battery)?

That's what this thread is all about.

Rivets and 3rd lugs on .308 are not something to grind off. Russians are a frugal bunch. My ancestry is Germans from Russia, and they keep everything and waste nothing. If it was not an important part they would not have put it in there. 1 rivet X 500,000 rifles amounts to a lot of money to them. It's a pivotal point, as I suspected, a starter for the bolt. (per the link) I have read this on some other site, though, as well.

My curiosity is can the bullet guide be used in conjunction with the regular Saiga magazines, either Soviet supplied, or the Sure Fire American made?

My curiosity is can the bullet guide be used in conjunction with the regular Saiga magazines, either Soviet supplied, or the Sure Fire American made?

This has been covered multiple times here in the past.

To recap:

If you modify your factory mags, they'll work with the bullet guide.

I'm not sure what you're asking regarding the SureFire.

I've found that my factory 10 round magazine works with out any modifications with my bullet guide, but I have no reason to use it because I just use my Chinese 5 round mag for reduced capacity fun.

The short magazine works much better on a bench than using the 30 round mags like a poorly balanced tripod.

Well, I have the factory 10 round magazine and the Sure Fire 30 round magazine that both have the built in bullet guide. By installing a bullet guide on the rifle, will this effectually make the magazines I have useless unless I modify them? I don't want to modify the factory nor the Sure Fire magazine. I want my cake and eat it too as the saying. If the bullet guide is in place, then you say the factory and Sure Fire won't work as issued without modifying them?

I find the 10 round works better for testing bullets as well. When you try a 3 round load of certain powder/weight, you don't need a 30 rounder. Standard factory is more than adequate.

Edited by Darth AkSarBen
Well, I have the factory 10 round magazine and the Sure Fire 30 round magazine that both have the built in bullet guide. By installing a bullet guide on the rifle, will this effectually make the magazines I have useless unless I modify them?

I find the 10 round works better for testing bullets as well. When you try a 3 round load of certain powder/weight, you don't need a 30 rounder. Standard factory is more than adequate.

What with all the variances in manufacturing, you'll not be able to answer that until you try it.

At the most, a slight shave off the top of the feed ramp may necessary.

I finished the mechanical part of my conversion and cycled the gun 10 times and it worked with out any problems

I loaded one bullet and tried to cycle the gun but it would not lock.

I had to call Mike at Firing Line and he not only help me extract the bullet but he explained what happened and how to fix it.

Suffice to say, the rivet I removed that makes the bolt rotate and lock in is in a different position them the ramp on the original bullet guide.

If you use an original AK Bullet guide you have 2 options

1. The easy way is to cut off the ramp so it fits under the original rivet.

2. You can remove the rivet but then to file the ramp one stroke at at time until it hand cycles and locks in with out any resistance. You do this with just the bolt, no spring or carrier

I will have to do #2 since I removed my rivet, which incidental is the more correct way to do it.

Due to time constraints I don't have time to take images but I will fit my bolt to my ramp tomorrow and post pictures.

Right about now I am wishing I had paid $30 for a Danzig Bullet Guide kit.

Feel free to say "I told you so" :)

Thanks

Yes, i LITERALLY told you so yesterday in the other thread :haha:

Edited by jabara572

Rather then adding info to this post I have decided to create a new post which I will title "Installing an AK Bullet Guide in a Saiga"

I wil set it up as a mini tutorial and hopefully I will address all the potential issues that may occur when installing the AK BG

I made a bullet guide from an AK bullet guide which I ground to fit the Saiga and I notched it to allow using the Saiga factory mags and AK mags. It looked good until I installed the bullet guide into the rifle and the bolt would NOT close. I had to use the Dremel tool with a RotoZip bit to grind away the interferences until the bolt closed properly. Now I can use both AK and Saiga magazines.