what else do I need for my conversion?

Besides the bullet guide, FCG, the pistol grip, the handguard, and the stock, what else do I need? I'm about to order all of my parts, and want to make sure to get everything at once.

Thanks.

Jim

Check the for sale section private sellers. Most of the parts you will need have just been posted at a great price.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=42

Edited by vulcan16

I would also recommend that you get the retaining plate from either carolinashooterssupply.com or dinzag. That way you can throw away the retaining spring from the original config. Also, you want to get a set of at least four plugs for the holes you are going to leave (little plastic plugs cost $1 a set).

Make sure you also get the PG hardware. Other than that, I'd suggest a sheet metal screw/nut/washer set from Wal-Mart. Otherwise, I'd say you're good to go. Good luck, and be sure to post pics afterwards!

I will. But what are you referring to by "PG hardware"?

Thanks.

I would also recommend that you get the retaining plate from either carolinashooterssupply.com or dinzag. That way you can throw away the retaining spring from the original config.

What's the benefit of this?

Also, you want to get a set of at least four plugs for the holes you are going to leave (little plastic plugs cost $1 a set).

Where do you get these?

Thanks.

Besides the bullet guide, FCG, the pistol grip, the handguard, and the stock, what else do I need? I'm about to order all of my parts, and want to make sure to get everything at once.

Thanks.

Jim

Check the for sale section private sellers. Most of the parts you will need have just been posted at a great price.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=42

Thanks for the tip.

My list

Tromix FCG (comes with shepherds pin so you don't need a retaining plate)

AK mag

Bullet guide(only if your using AK mags)

ACE internal stock adapter(I didnt need the plastic plugs for the old FCG holes as the internal adapter blocks the holes and looks fine,, you might need the plastic plugs to cover the hole left when you drill out the FCG pins)

ACE skeleton stock

Saw PG

PG nut

My list

Tromix FCG (comes with shepherds pin so you don't need a retaining plate)

AK mag

Bullet guide(only if your using AK mags)

ACE internal stock adapter(I didnt need the plastic plugs for the old FCG holes as the internal adapter blocks the holes and looks fine,, you might need the plastic plugs to cover the hole left when you drill out the FCG pins)

ACE skeleton stock

Saw PG

PG nut

What size nut do you need for the PG? That sounds like the only thing on your list that adds to mine (other than the oversight of magazines on my posted list). I don't need the internal stock adapter, so far as I know, since I'm getting a fixed Warsaw Pact-length KVar stock.

Although, looking at your list again, I'm not sure whether I need a retaining plate or not. I'm getting the Red Star Arms trigger group. Do I need some sort of pin or plate?

Thanks.

Magazines

What type of Hand Guard are you using?

I'll decide sometime today or tomorrow. Something that is vented and that allows a bottom rail.

Why not vent and/or re-contour the factory handguard. I did it on my S12 and was pretty happy with it.

I'd spend the cash on the retainer plate, it's worth it to be able to just drop in, and not have to fiddle with the retaining wire, IMO.

The pistol grip nut is a piece that sits in the hole in the bottom of the receiver, and accepts the bolt that holds the pistol grip on. It's a pretty cheap piece. You may or may not need to cut a hole in the bottom of the receiver, some guns have them cut, some don't.

Magazines

I'll decide sometime today or tomorrow. Something that is vented and that allows a bottom rail.

Why not vent and/or re-contour the factory handguard. I did it on my S12 and was pretty happy with it.

I might do that. I've been having a hard time deciding on the handguard, and may just decide on one later. Maybe I'll pick up a U.S.-made gas piston for now, so I can get my conversion done without rushing on the handguard decision. Is the Tapco one as good/durable as the factory one? How is ease of install?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Magazines

I might do that. I've been having a hard time deciding on the handguard, and may just decide on one later. Maybe I'll pick up a U.S.-made gas piston for now, so I can get my conversion done without rushing on the handguard decision. Is the Tapco one as good/durable as the factory one? How is ease of install?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

On the other hand, after having read up on removing the old gas piston and installing the new one, it sounds like a royal pain in the arse. I'm already pushing my mechanical can-do to the limit with the conversion as it is.

Well if the stock is to be US made then you will have the 4 US parts to make you compliant.

Carolina sells the FCG Retainer Plate, the 6 holes plugs (you only need 4), and everything you would need.

My parts for everything came to just under $100 total. I need to get the US forearm (Tapco Fusion $42) or US gas piston to be straight.

4 parts on a Siaga, unless the muzzle is threaded, then the attachment should be US. Read the 922 thread up top in the stickies....

Thanks, you've broken the log-jam. Now I can begin ordering the stuff. I'm still not settled on a pistol grip, because I handled the one I thought I wanted at the gun show last week and didn't like it. I'll probably get a $12 cheapo and look for a permanent solution later.

So here's my list:

KVAR black Warsaw Pact-length fixed stock

Cheapo pistol grip + Nut

Red Star Arms trigger group + retainer plate

Dinzag bullet guide

Magazines

Hopefully that will do it.

Jim

OK, do I need something additional to attach the buttstock to the receiver? This is the stock I want:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=251&page=1

Further down the page, it shows other recommended items, including "AK-034LP SCREW ~ For attaching the polymer Buttstock to the (stamped or milled) receiver". I would have thought necessary attachment pieces would have come with the stock.

Also, the recommended items show "AK-045 SCREW ~ for Pistol Grip". Presumably, this is what attaches to the PG nut others referred to in this thread earlier. I didn't realize I would need to get it separately.

Just trying to avoid more shipments than necessary...

OK, do I need something additional to attach the buttstock to the receiver? This is the stock I want:

Further down the page, it shows other recommended items, including "AK-034LP SCREW ~ For attaching the polymer Buttstock to the (stamped or milled) receiver". I would have thought necessary attachment pieces would have come with the stock.

Also, the recommended items show "AK-045 SCREW ~ for Pistol Grip". Presumably, this is what attaches to the PG nut others referred to in this thread earlier. I didn't realize I would need to get it separately.

I think you are going to need all of those recommended products. That still looks like a very good price considering you get the pistol grip too! I'll have to look at getting one of those for myself:) I had resigned myself to the fact that I would just get a ACE skeleton non-folder + internal block for about $109 from CSS.

I think you are going to need all of those recommended products. That still looks like a very good price considering you get the pistol grip too! I'll have to look at getting one of those for myself:) I had resigned myself to the fact that I would just get a ACE skeleton non-folder + internal block for about $109 from CSS.

Does it matter that the recommended screw is made in Bulgaria? Does that make my pistol grip foreign?

EDITED TO ADD: Nevermind. I'll get the screw and nut from Carolina Shooter's Supply. Cheaper there anyway.

Edited by Jim Digriz
That still looks like a very good price considering you get the pistol grip too! I'll have to look at getting one of those for myself:) I had resigned myself to the fact that I would just get a ACE skeleton non-folder + internal block for about $109 from CSS.

You may want to hold off on getting that KVar stock. Mine came by UPS today, and is a POS. It looks like it came from the reject pile: scratches, splotchy and irregular finish, various other imperfections. Hopefully, I've just got the freak bad one, and they'll replace it. Will find out Monday and report back.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
That still looks like a very good price considering you get the pistol grip too! I'll have to look at getting one of those for myself:) I had resigned myself to the fact that I would just get a ACE skeleton non-folder + internal block for about $109 from CSS.

You may want to hold off on getting that KVar stock. Mine came by UPS today, and is a POS. It looks like it came from the reject pile: scratches, splotchy and irregular finish, various other imperfections. Hopefully, I've just got the freak bad one, and they'll replace it. Will find out Monday and report back.

Jim

I should mention that KVar replaced the bad stock with a good one, without any trouble.