Barnauls FTLing in S-410

I own a S-12, and a S-20 just got the 410 a few weeks ago............

Took my new (1994) Saiga 410 to the range last weekend. The Barnaul slugs would fail to load about one out of every other mag, deforming the front of the steel case and helping to fill the range's bad ammo bucket. I took the mags apart and used silicone spray on them and worked the followers a bit. Have not tried to shoot again.....yet. Has anyone else experienced this FTL behavior? TIA

(Bvamp, the new Baikal IZH 43-E-1C handles great and is a real well ballanced S x S.......... a real smooth shooter with a good feel, shot about 40 game loads just to try and loosen it up, but have not tried to bust any clays yet.......)

Edited by Ol'smokie

That sounds exactly like what mine does, the tip of the shell rides too high and smashes into the guide, deforming the tip of the shell. here is the post I made a while back about it.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1556&hl=

I still havent found the solution and my 410 is away at firefly arms (for way too long now) so I have not been able to tinker with it for a while. All I know is it sucks!!! Mine at least feeds plastic shells perfectly, yours?

Chris is your's also a 94'? Mine is and I had the same problem for awhile. Seems like everyone else I've seen with this problem had one of the old guns too. It's really strange but mine has cured itself! I've put prolly 150 rounds of barnaul shot and slugs through it in the past month and have had no jams. Mine was doing the exact same thing as yours when I first got it. I believe it must have to do with the gas system. I think the newer models have a different gas block setup and that might be why they don't have these problems. That would make sense with your problem cause the barnauls are hotter loads than most of the plastic shells. Mine did jam once on the first shot last week but I had just cleaned and oiled it and had a little too much clp on the rails so I think that caused it. After that first shot it ran fine for 2 more boxes of shells. Back when mine was jamming it was happening with both plastic and metal cased shells. I took the gas system apart and cleaned the hell out of everything and it has not failed since. Now I clean it after every few boxes of shells. If it's not the gas system, which I'm convinced it is, then it has to be some kind of breakin thing.

Man you still have'nt gotten that thing back yet? I was wondering why you have'nt been showing her off.

Man you still have'nt gotten that thing back yet? I was wondering why you have'nt been showing her off.

Yeah been 3 months, Its converted I have been waiting for him to refinish it with that moly-resin, I am officially getting pissed, he wont return my e-mails or phone calls, last I heard (early febuary) he had some problem with his air brush system, kinda sounded like BS, If I dont hear anything this week, I may have to contact a lawyer or something, it is getting ridiculous, I'm not sure what I should do. Anyway I dont want to hijack this thread, I'll start a new topic later after I call him again.

Chris

Edited by chris410

The only ones I've seen in 3" are made by Brenneke. I have not tried them Because they are so expensive (over twice as much as barnaul) I have read they are more accurate though.

http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?pid=48675

My Saiga .410 must be unusual... It has absolutely never jammed or hiccoughed or had an FTE or anything. It has been a jewel of reliability and accuracy. It is, BTW, a 95. It was reliable right from the get-go after the initial cleaning when I got it.

Have not tried shot loads, just slugs. Barnaul slugs work great and give good accuracy. Yes, the Brenneke are more expensive -- $5.95 per box/5 -- but give even better accuracy than the Barnaul. given the design of the Brenneke slugs, I feel they would be better than Barnaul in the HD (Home Defense) role.

At first I didn't see why some of you felt you needed a short shoulder stock but, after taking a second (third and fourth) look at things, I think you're right -- it is a tad too long. Thought it was just me at first because I have a shorter than average reach (which is one reason why I prefer Italian milsurp rifles over others) but I had also found the standard AK stock too short! Curiouser and curiouser...

Edited by Aethelbert

TRY gander mouontain for a GOOD SOURCE of US made hunting .410 slug loads... I was in the local store the other day and saw at least a half dozen brands... plastic cased slugs....

winchester, remington, federal.... a few others. brenneke.. whatnot..

Give them a shot... or a SHOUT.... cant hurt..

:smoke:

Ya, at the gun show yesterday, I chatted with a ammo dealer who thought that putting 200 rounds through the .410 would be the true test, then see if it still jams...she's probably right......... thanks for the tips on the ammo sources also !! Will give them a holler.........can never have too much ammo it seems.........Here's LilBaby with Kobra....but with choke and #6 loaded.........

S

post-734-1110122141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ol'smokie

NedPepper, those are the ones I have been using that FTL one out of 10.......but I have decided it's a break in issue (Bernaul slugs).....will wait till I have put several hundered through the "new" .410 Saiga, and see if it's still a problem..several folks have had no problems with those and about half have had similar probs. I got 300rds so they better start workin' :unsure:

Shoot safely,

Smokes

Edited by Ol'smokie

Hey, I am "hoarding" them rounds. Like all good gun nutz, LOL. Got 3 guns to break in now............what's a muther to do? Maybe I could hire a "gun babe" to do some of the work? Know any? (no wives accepted, LOL), Here is latest "breaker-inner"........

Smokes

post-734-1110429171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ol'smokie

Yeah been 3 months, Its converted I have been waiting for him to refinish it with that moly-resin, I am officially getting pissed, he wont return my e-mails or phone calls, last I heard (early febuary) he had some problem with his air brush system, kinda sounded like BS, If I dont hear anything this week, I may have to contact a lawyer or something, it is getting ridiculous, I'm not sure what I should do. Anyway I dont want to hijack this thread, I'll start a new topic later after I call him again.

Chris

Who has been giving you the run around?

I ask so I don't send my .410 to the wrong guy/shop.

Ditto on my 95 Saiga410 it has been 100% reliable from day one with 3" Remington,Winchester,Federal and Barnual slugs/#3 shot.

I bought a 2-1/2" mag from EAA and have not been able to get it to feed reliably with shot or slugs. It does the same thing that some have reported with the Barnual ammo. The front of the shell hits above the chamber.

I have fired 3 boxes of the Barnaul 00buck 12ga in my Saiga12 and it functioned 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Chris...

Thats the reason I did not send one of my S12s to Sam@Firefly....I haven't heard anything bad about his work...but I just had a hard time even getting a hold of him to even talk about doing one...Couldn't even get him on the phone...so I sent all mine to Dave Michener EliteArms in Hurst ,Texas..Dave answered EVERY email & Phone call & get's em back to me withi'n two weeks ..he works the gas ports where they fire EVERYTHING!..even the cheap light loads. & duracoats em to what ever specs you/color you want..If you just want the Conversion..it's less time than that.. & he uses overnite or 3day shipping...Course I'm in Texas,too..so even 3 day is overnite...

I was going to send one to Firefly just to compare thier work..but hell...he won't even answer me about selling one of his completed S12s he advertised on here & AR15.com..I got one Email reply from him..then that was it...when i asked if he would open up the ports..

I've heard some good things about his work from people he did some conversions for...But his "Bedside REPLY manner"...kind'a sucks... :lolol:

You bet ,Smoke!!...My Webpage..that is NOT MY webpage..it is Elite Arms Conversions(Dave Michener)

If I got that to work..It's www.elitefirearms.net His phone number is on my Cell speed dial.. 817-285-8663..If ya get his answering machine...leave your name & number..Tell Dave ..that Wade Sent ya....& he 'll call ya rt back as soon as he get's your message..he does his email the same way... Eliteguns@aol.com

I'm about ta send em a 410 & a S20 myself....he's done a Outstanding job on my S12s"... After his port job...they eat anything I feed em..even the 7/8ths oz Cheep wally mart Speed loads...haven't had a hiccup,yet!!.. :super:

Edited by StarLynx

I think he said he opened em up an extra .002...( twoThousnadths??)..I noticed there are 4 ports in there when I removed my piston...On another I looked at..awhile back..there were only 2..Older model maybe???..Dunknow cuz that was the first time I look at this one to see the 4 ports..