"Scout" Saigas

I know that by strict definition only bolt action rifles can be true scout rifles but since all rules are made to be broken the Saiga 308 fits the bill on all other points. I converted mine to a scout type last month and the more I use it the more I think it is the best scout rifle Ive ever shot. The scout scope mount that has become available is excellent, its held zero though 500 rounds a a good bit of travel and banging around. Target acquisition is fast for a scope and very accurate.

So how are you other guys doing with this setup? Anyone using a red dot or other sighting system?

Can you post pics of the rifle and the mount? I too made a scout out of mine but I'm not happy with the forend. I heavily moded a UTG quad rail and I just dont trust it.

Sure its also in my avatar. Not a very good pic i know but best i have.

saiga308a.JPG

103_2628.jpg

Edited by Rhodes1968
Can you post pics of the rifle and the mount? I too made a scout out of mine but I'm not happy with the forend. I heavily moded a UTG quad rail and I just dont trust it.

saiga308a.JPG

103_2628.jpg

That's the route I plan on going with my .223... I am planning on mounting on a UTG quad rail. I noticed you're not too happy with yours... Is this because you had to dremel the heck out of it to make it fit the .308?

Also, what scope do you recommend? I don't want to go too fancy, since I have never gone with a scope. I'm more of an open sights kind of gal.

Thanks

The problem I had with my UTG modded for a 308 is recoil. The UTG rail clamps down around the gas tube and barrel. When I attached a bipod to the bottom of the quad rail and shot about 5 rounds, the recoil from the rifle acting against the bipod put pressure on the quad rail forcing it forward and broke the spot weld on the upper handguard retainer on the gas tube thus moving the whole contraption forward. (note this was not a standard Saiga gas tube. The Saiga gas tube has a heat shield on it and had to be replaced with a rommy gastube for the quad to fit)

I had a friend re-weld it for me, better than the first time. So far it has held, but it has left doubt in my mind about reliability. With 308 recoil, I don't trust the top rail to hold zero with a bipod on the bottom contantly shocking it. I think the scout scope option will be better with one of those surefire type forarms.

I use a simmons variable pistol scope. Losing faith in the whole scout idea though. I think a forward mount is best suited for a red dot holo type sight. For me, target aquisition is slowed by this forward mount type and co-witnessing through the scope on its lowest setting 4x32 is possible but really slows me down. For the record, I am intrigued by Jeff Cooper's scout rifle concept. I love the way they look, I love how they are supposed to perform quick shots. I'll do some more work on mine before I scrap the whole idea.

100_0136.JPG

I still have one other change to make to the stock. I'm adding an ace receiver block (no tang cut), an ace folding mechanism and a regular AR buffer tube for the command arms stock to slide on. I'm not interested in firing the rifle with the stock folded (though it will), I want the rifle to fold up for compact storage. When complete, this will be my answer to Gabe Suarez's Guerilla Sniper Rifle.

saiga308a.JPG

103_2628.jpg

What scope mount is that?

Great Write-up on this Mount.

Scout Scopes .Com Mount.

It hold zero very well when removing and reattaching the scope. Uses allen but am looking for a wing nut type to replace them.

Use a 2-4x fixed mag Long Eye Relief (pistol) scope or something like a 2-7x variable.

Mount has built in iron sights that are sufficient.

NCStar isn't bad from my experience its held zero though 500 rounds or so. Scopes are like cars every one has a different opinion.

I suggest using as low a scope ring set as possible that allows the scope to mount.

Edited by Rhodes1968
Great Write-up on this Mount.

Scout Scopes .Com Mount.

It hold zero very well when removing and reattaching the scope. Uses allen but am looking for a wing nut type to replace them.

Use a 2-4x fixed mag Long Eye Relief (pistol) scope or something like a 2-7x variable.

Mount has built in iron sights that are sufficient.

NCStar isn't bad from my experience its held zero though 500 rounds or so. Scopes are like cars every one has a different opinion.

I suggest using as low a scope ring set as possible that allows the scope to mount.

Just what I have been looking for. I have the HK sights so I was dying to forward mount a scope where the typical sights go. Thanks much.

You all might look at the Tapco Intrafuse stock for the .308. I have one on my Saiga and it came with an extra piece for just the .308 Saiga, so I know it fits and it has 3 rails on it. Picture of it and a side mount scope mount that works pretty well. You should see my 3 shot one hole group with this rifle and scope combo.

saiga_223_converted.jpg

vern_3shotGroup.jpg

I plan on putting an Intrafuse fore grip on the .308 I get this fall.

You all might look at the Tapco Intrafuse stock for the .308. I have one on my Saiga and it came with an extra piece for just the .308 Saiga, so I know it fits and it has 3 rails on it. Picture of it and a side mount scope mount that works pretty well. You should see my 3 shot one hole group with this rifle and scope combo.

I plan on putting an Intrafuse fore grip on the .308 I get this fall.

I like those also, its whats on mine, but mounting a scope on that far forward, or any sighting system, throws the balance off to me at least. The scout mount at least puts the weight between the support points. I just must get some lower scope rings and bring the scope closer to the barrel, think I will do so this week before the Appleseed shoot this weekend.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Rhodes1968, that looks like a long and heavy scope to be stabilized with such a short mounting point. It looks like you could defect it with one finger pressure on the objective end of the scope. Those types of mounts are usually intended for red dots and low power long eye relief scopes.

The scope that you have mounted does not look like a long eye relief scope. What is the make and model if you do not mind my asking? You say that it is an NCStar?

Regarding scopes in general, everyone may have an opinion, but not everyone is correct...

Rhodes1968, that looks like a long and heavy scope to be stabilized with such a short mounting point. It looks like you could defect it with one finger pressure on the objective end of the scope. Those types of mounts are usually intended for red dots and low power long eye relief scopes.

The scope that you have mounted does not look like a long eye relief scope. What is the make and model if you do not mind my asking? You say that it is an NCStar?

Regarding scopes in general, everyone may have an opinion, but not everyone is correct...

It is NCStar ER is 9" its a 4x 32mm and has been very stable the only time Ive had to rezero is going from a 25m to a 200m range. It originally was on my Mosin which also uses a scout mount and I had no problem there either with the scope although the mount itself required some work.

There are things I want to change, lower mounts, lighter 2x scope, etc that must wait a while but the config is working better than I had hoped. I dont put anything requiring batteries on an MBR, just my opinion. If it will still function with dead batteries then its a keeper.

Of course every one sees their opinion as correct.

I need a good sling, any suggestions?

I like the 1 1/4" GI M14 slings. Do learn how to use it for shooting though to see why I like them. If you want something else this site has instructions on making one that will be better than most you can buy for 5 times the price. Modify it for your rifle as you see fit;

DIY Sling