My 5.45x39 conversion!

Finished up my new 5.45x39 I picked up from Cadiz yesterday. Came out pretty nice! I can't wait to shoot it. Parts are as follows:

Tapco G2 TG

Tapco warsaw AK syn stock

Tapco SAW PG

LH x 14mm threads+ A1 style bird cage flash hider (USA)

Home made bullet guide (pics I made a lip over where the mag inserts and then lowered it closer to the barrel so the guide is nice and high on the rounds but doesn't interfere with the locking/rotating motion of the bolt. IE if you have made your on bullet guides you probably know what I'm talking about. I also made a notch on the underside of the guide to prevent contact with the top of the magazine. Sorta a "_--" shape.)

Surplus AK74 mags, locks in with no mods

Also does anyone have an opinions on the best way to clean this rifle after shooting corrosive ammo?

post-10068-1251054796_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1251054831_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1251054862_thumb.jpg

post-10068-1251054911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krom

Quote: Also does anyone have an opinions on the best way to clean this rifle after shooting corrosive ammo?

Best way is scrub chamber, bore, gas port, piston with hot soapy water, rinse, dry, follow with Hoppes9 down bore.

BTW, nice job. How does she shoot? What ammo?

Edited by m1key
Quote: Also does anyone have an opinions on the best way to clean this rifle after shooting corrosive ammo?

Best way is scrub chamber, bore, gas port, piston with hot soapy water, rinse, dry, follow with Hoppes9 down bore.

I have not fired it yet I will be shooting some 53gr surplus from aim. I'm kinda curious if the recoil will feel any different than my .223 saiga seems like I read that the 5.45 is designed to have less recoil, I guess I'll find out.

Also my .223 launches brass into the next county.... further than all my other sagia's. Not sure if that is normal or what. I wish I could reduce how far it throws the brass though, I finally got all my stuff to start reloading .223 and my rifle hucks my brass so far I can't find most of it :-(.

Edited by Krom

Krom, That looks great! I am picking mine up this week and I've already ordered the parts for the conversion. I am going with the CAA G27 grip and a Tapco folding stock though, just my tastes.

I wonder if you are the first to convert a 5.45?

Anyway, can you tell me more about how you installed a flash hider? I thought they came without threads on the end of the barrel.

Also, what diameter of black pipe did you start with to fabricate the bullet guide?

Krom, That looks great! I am picking mine up this week and I've already ordered the parts for the conversion. I am going with the CAA G27 grip and a Tapco folding stock though, just my tastes.

I wonder if you are the first to convert a 5.45?

Anyway, can you tell me more about how you installed a flash hider? I thought they came without threads on the end of the barrel.

Also, what diameter of black pipe did you start with to fabricate the bullet guide?

Your correct, they don't come with a threaded barrel, I have a LH 14mm die for DPH.

I didn't use a metal pipe to fab the bullet guide, I cut a piece off the end of some metal stock.

I used 1/2" square metal stock I think, I cut the end piece to more of a rectangle piece, IE the skinny side of the rectangle fits into the grove in the front trunnion (longer side in line with the barrel).

Leave it nice and thick (~2mm) so you can make a shelf, basically a "_--" shape.

You want the high side of the guide to sit over where the stock magazine's lip would be to make the angle the same (I made mine as high as the bottom of the bolt would allow, IE see if the bolt clears, remove alittle and repeat until the bolt does clear without striking the top of the guide).

Then step height of the guide down(thinner) toward the barrel, this allows a the bolt to lock and rotate without hanging up on the guide.

Then drill a hole in your guide, place the guide back into the weapon and position it to be in the same position as where the stock mag lip would be (I also inserted a 74 mag and aligned the front edge of the guide with the back edge of the 74 mag, again mimicking where the lip would be on the stock mag) mark your trunnion.

Remove guide, drill, tap, adjust if necessary (IE I took a good bit of material off the bottom side of the guide prevent the bottom of the guide contacting the top of a 74 mag)

Also you will have to knock down the front lip of your stock mag to use it post guide install.

Hope this helps with the bullet guide, it took me a couple of hours to make it via hacksaw, shop grinder, dremel, and files.

Also thanks for all the positive comments on the rifle :smoke: , I learned everything I know about gunsmith'in and AKs here. So thanks to the Saiga-12 forum community for enabling regular joes like me to build some pretty sweet ass weapons.

Looks great :-D

I plan on installing the same furniture (Tapco stock and SAW pistol grip) but mine will be Olive Drab. I'm an NYer, so I need to hunt down all the East German and steel Polish Tantal mags I can find so I don't have to be stuck with the factory 10 rounder, heh.

Easier 1 step method is to clean normally with Sweets 7.62. It has 5% ammonia that neutralizes all corrosive salts.

Finished up my new 5.45x39 I picked up from Cadiz yesterday. Came out pretty nice! I can't wait to shoot it. Parts are as follows:

Tapco G2 TG

Tapco warsaw AK syn stock

Tapco SAW PG

LH x 14mm threads+ A1 style bird cage flash hider (USA)

Home made bullet guide (pics I made a lip over where the mag inserts and then lowered it closer to the barrel so the guide is nice and high on the rounds but doesn't interfere with the locking/rotating motion of the bolt. IE if you have made your on bullet guides you probably know what I'm talking about. I also made a notch on the underside of the guide to prevent contact with the top of the magazine. Sorta a "_--" shape.)

Surplus AK74 mags, locks in with no mods

Also does anyone have an opinions on the best way to clean this rifle after shooting corrosive ammo?

NICE CLEAN LOOKING JOB. LET US KNOW HOW IT SHOOTS...

Easier 1 step method is to clean normally with Sweets 7.62. It has 5% ammonia that neutralizes all corrosive salts.

Isn't sweets 7.62 allittle too strong for general cleaning?

• 2 weeks later...