Has anybody ever...

A question to you Kalifornia guys, and others that live in non-pistol grip friendly states: Has anyone ever cut the trigger off the bottom of a Tapco G2 FCG and put it in the stock Saiga? I had mine apart today replacing the E clips with a spring wire from the selector (hate that damn BHP spring@#$%^&*). Anyway, I was looking at my parts bag to make sure I still had the original stuff to re-factory it if I move back to Kalifornia in a few years (long story).

The Tapco trigger housing is nearly identical to the factory, except for the trigger. Some of the upper angles and stuff are different, but it has the ledge that the Rube Goldberg linkage engages. While I know the linkage screw up the trigger pull, I think it would still be better with Tapco stuff, plus it is +2 on the 922R. All the axis to edge dimension are identical. I may try it without replacing the bottom plate so I don't have to trim the trigger off, but I can re-install the factory trigger and linkage just to see.

Just thinking aloud...

A question to you Kalifornia guys, and others that live in non-pistol grip friendly states: Has anyone ever cut the trigger off the bottom of a Tapco G2 FCG and put it in the stock Saiga? I had mine apart today replacing the E clips with a spring wire from the selector (hate that damn BHP spring@#$%^&*). Anyway, I was looking at my parts bag to make sure I still had the original stuff to re-factory it if I move back to Kalifornia in a few years (long story).

The Tapco trigger housing is nearly identical to the factory, except for the trigger. Some of the upper angles and stuff are different, but it has the ledge that the Rube Goldberg linkage engages. While I know the linkage screw up the trigger pull, I think it would still be better with Tapco stuff, plus it is +2 on the 922R. All the axis to edge dimension are identical. I may try it without replacing the bottom plate so I don't have to trim the trigger off, but I can re-install the factory trigger and linkage just to see.

Just thinking aloud...

Why would you convert it back? Why not just put a mag lock on it while you are in cali and leave it at that.

I have legal high caps that I have had since the late 80s and 90s when I had a Poly tech, and lived in Kalifornia. I would rather have bullets than a pistol grip. Under the statute, I can bring them back in if I move back, since I had them there before.

Naloith, I figured the disconnector and hammer would be +2, though the trigger would be Russian obviously. The handguard, huzzle attachement and followers (KVar US) are US also. According to the automated checklist, my 922 is OK.

The move probably won't be for several years (I hope) and will only be part year. Other than that, it is too long of a story.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work when you can just install a MMG and still use your high caps, and swap it out whenever you leave the state.

mmgakbtypc03.jpg015-10.jpg

Spending 10 minutes replacing the pistol grip for the MMG seems to me like a better idea than undoing a conversion IMO.

Edited by stix213
I have legal high caps that I have had since the late 80s and 90s when I had a Poly tech, and lived in Kalifornia. I would rather have bullets than a pistol grip. Under the statute, I can bring them back in if I move back, since I had them there before.

Naloith, I figured the disconnector and hammer would be +2, though the trigger would be Russian obviously. The handguard, huzzle attachement and followers (KVar US) are US also. According to the automated checklist, my 922 is OK.

The move probably won't be for several years (I hope) and will only be part year. Other than that, it is too long of a story.

Sorry if I seem dense here, but again, why not just use your high caps with a mag lock while you are in Ca. Seems like a whole lot less of a hassle than changing your rifle's config. Unless you need to do a lot of quick mag changing for training (which I wish we could do here in Ca.), it seems that you would still have adequate firepower for any HD situation with a 30 rounder. Maybe I'm missing a gotcha in the law here, but the Solar Tactical lock takes about 5 minutes to put on and the same to take off, and you don't have to f@@k with your mag release. I'm really not a fan of MM grips (although I have not tried them), mostly because the real benefits of having your thumb wrapped around the grip are lost.

The way I read the law, if it has EVIL features, the magazine has to be fixed, and can still only be 10 rounds. If it is non-evil featured (Mini-14, M1 Carbine, unconverted Saiga) preban 30 rounders are OK. SJ Guy, correct me on this

The way I read the law, if it has EVIL features, the magazine has to be fixed, and can still only be 10 rounds. If it is non-evil featured (Mini-14, M1 Carbine, unconverted Saiga) preban 30 rounders are OK. SJ Guy, correct me on this

Hmm.. I did not think that was the case, but definitely could be wrong on that. Sounds like its time to jump over to Calguns for an answer to that one unless there is someone here who knows.

Irangemaster, I appears that you are completely right (unfortunately). It is NOT legal in CA. to have a rifle with a locking device and feed it 10+ mags. The only option is to go completely featureless if you want to use your 10+ers. Interestingly, it is not even legal to put a bullet button or equiv on a featureless rifle and then use 10+ mags (not sure why you would ever do that anyway). If you want to use your 10+ it looks like you were on the right track, but I'm glad we got the legalities flushed out.

Here is the Calguns post I followed: Post.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work when you can just install a MMG and still use your high caps, and swap it out whenever you leave the state.

Spending 10 minutes replacing the pistol grip for the MMG seems to me like a better idea than undoing a conversion IMO.

ughhhh that is hideous

California sucks.

ughhhh that is hideous

California sucks.

California has its good points, but admittedly firearm laws aren't one of them. Idiotic at best.

Unfortunately the architects of our once great nanny state fail to realize that if you are embarking on a homicidal rampage you probably aren't going to obey any law related to magazine capacity or "evil features," so you are just punishing the law obiding. Plus I am fairly certain that bullets fired from an unconverted Saiga and a converted one hit the same - I admit I haven't yet done a side by side comparison to check if a Saiga with a pistol grip fires deadly .30 rounds while a Saiga without a pistol grip can actually only fire tiny little puppies with little parachutes that just lick repeatedly whoever you aim at, but I'm guessing that isn't really the case although more data is needed.

My favorite one though is how 922r defines the Saiga with the dragunov style thumbhole stock as a rifle suitable for sporting purposes, but California law says if you have a detachable mag it is a deadly child killing Assault Weapon... An Assault Weapon suitable for sporting purposes???? Hmmmm yeah you are right, California sucks.

Edited by stix213

i dont know if this would legally work but maybe you could buy a second saiga and mod it (in compliance with cali laws) to take 10+rndrs. then knock the fcg out, other internals, and remove the furniture of your faux 103 rifle and keep it as a "parts kit" until you move. then resale the extra saiga to some other cali resident in need of a good gun.

ughhhh that is hideous

California sucks.

I'm not sure how much time you've spent living in California, but I for one definitely do not think it "sucks" by any means. I grew up here, then lived out of the country in Scandinavia for 10 years, then moved back, and I can tell you my friend, that there are other places in the world that really SUCK, and this is not one of them. Try living in an eastern block country for a while (if you haven't already), and I think you'll gain a new appreciate for the word SUCK. It seams that people (not surprisingly because its a firearms forum) on this forum commonly agree that Ca. is just a crappy state because of it's firearms laws. I don't like the laws either, but there are MANY other positive things that make this a great State. Natural beauty, really good people, lots of opportunity, and at least where I live, acceptance of all kinds of different lifestyles. I've visited a lot of different states in this country, and I have yet to find one that is not truly great in it's own way, even if they are different than where I come from.... just my $.02.

ughhhh that is hideous

California sucks.

I'm not sure how much time you've spent living in California, but I for one definitely do not think it "sucks" by any means. I grew up here, then lived out of the country in Scandinavia for 10 years, then moved back, and I can tell you my friend, that there are other places in the world that really SUCK, and this is not one of them. Try living in an eastern block country for a while (if you haven't already), and I think you'll gain a new appreciate for the word SUCK. It seams that people (not surprisingly because its a firearms forum) on this forum commonly agree that Ca. is just a crappy state because of it's firearms laws. I don't like the laws either, but there are MANY other positive things that make this a great State. Natural beauty, really good people, lots of opportunity, and at least where I live, acceptance of all kinds of different lifestyles. I've visited a lot of different states in this country, and I have yet to find one that is not truly great in it's own way, even if they are different than where I come from.... just my $.02.

I didn't read any of the above words... but California Monster Man grips look AWESOME... well not the look, but they make AK's FLY... look at that shit? It's floating...

I'll vouch for the fact that California isn't all bad. Not at all. If someone's view of an entire state is based on one set of laws regarding one issue then that seems pretty narrow minded. We all agree that their gun laws suck. I had to deal with them myself on a recent visit there. You know I don't even think their legislators there or in other states think that these kooky laws do any good. I think its just all about making life as difficult and as complicated as possible for anyone that wants to own a gun. Its about trying to wear people down. Of course, it won't work.

I'll vouch for the fact that California isn't all bad. Not at all. If someone's view of an entire state is based on one set of laws regarding one issue then that seems pretty narrow minded. We all agree that their gun laws suck. I had to deal with them myself on a recent visit there. You know I don't even think their legislators there or in other states think that these kooky laws do any good. I think its just all about making life as difficult and as complicated as possible for anyone that wants to own a gun. Its about trying to wear people down. Of course, it won't work.

As a native Californian and someone who has lived here for 35+ years, I can just tell you; it aint what it used to be. We are the highest taxed state in the country, our gun laws were written by monkeys flinging their poo at computer keyboards, we are among the worst for public schooling, traffic is unfathomable to anyone who doesn't live here (about 10 MPH average on a good day on the freeways), we don't have any natural water sources; literally NO natural flowing rivers, streams, or large lakes (if SHTF we would die of thirst without outside assistance, SoCal is just irrigated desert). And the single biggest problem: we are absolutely and completely overrun with illegal immigrants. California is $26,000,000,000 in defecit JUST FOR THIS YEAR. Illegal immigration is a subject that is absolutely not discussed for fear of being branded a racist. They use the hospitals, roads, schools, jails, prisons, welfare system, public works projects, parks, etc. without paying a single penny into any of those systems. The local school district has a 68% hispanic enrollment, that EXACT SAME percent; 68% also receives free lunches (govt. paid). And I am in what is considered to be an affluent area (Newport/Mesa unified). Other districts nearby are much higher with the numbers of children of illegal immigrants. The rest of the country is just beginning to see small trickles of the problem coming their way. Until you spend any real time here, you really don't realize that all we really have going for us is the weather and the beaches. [/rant]