BANG, click, rack???

I've had a converted Saiga12 for a couple years and it's always been very reliable with AGP 10rds and MD20 drums.

I used it at the MGM Iron Man this year and started experiencing a weird problem.

The gun goes bang, then the next shot the hammer just falls "click", then I rack out a live round onto the ground, and the next shot goes BANG again. This repeats over and over until I'm out of ammo in half the shots. When I inspect the unfired rounds, there is a super super light primer strike?? WTF is this all about?

I've cleaned the action and gas block up very well and it will stop, then just starts up again without warning. It's especially trouble some when in competition, and has cost me several matches now.

Any Help Greatly Appreciated!!!

With the chamber empty and the top cover off, check your hammer, trigger, disconnect operation. Cycle the weapon manually and watch for an improper disconnect function. Usually caused by the right leg of the hammer spring being out of proper alighnment and laying on the back of the disconnet. (But not always)...........VK

You may not see the problem by manually cycling the action. It fails only after the gas system cycles the round, indicating that the higher speed and forces involved are triggering the failure.

If you are firing at gas setting #2, will it cycle on #1? This may temporarily resolve this situation but the root cause still needs to be determined.

Definately check what VK told you about with all of the springs. And just for a long shot, check your firing pin. I have had a similar problem in the past with a different kind of gun. Same symptoms that you are describing, but when I checked the pin, I found that it was broken and the two pieces would only connect and discharge the round one out of every three or four cycles. Just a thought.

Honestly, sounds like your hammer is missing the disconnector and riding the bolt home. If your hammer is BARELY catching the discon then this may be the issue. Easy way to check, pull UP on the bolt carrier as you slowly rack it back (with the trigger pulled), see if the hammer fails to engage the disconnector.

Honestly, sounds like your hammer is missing the disconnector and riding the bolt home. If your hammer is BARELY catching the discon then this may be the issue. Easy way to check, pull UP on the bolt carrier as you slowly rack it back (with the trigger pulled), see if the hammer fails to engage the disconnector.

+1

This makes more sense. Undergassed system or possibly too much friction or something blocking movement of the action and absorbing all of the energy from the gas system.

If this happens every time, hand cycle a round and then, before pulling the trigger for the second round, look in to see if the hammer is already forward and up against the pin. If not, aim the gun and pull. If it fails to go bang, then what SaigaNoobie said is not likely the case. But *IF* the hammer is forward before you pull the trigger for the second round, then we have the answer.

*IF* the hammer rode the bolt as the shell chambers, it would NOT go click when the trigger is pulled... there would be nothing to go CLICK... the hammer is ALREADY loose.

I am going to go with either gunked up, or worn, firing pin... or maybe even the broken firing pin...

take the bolt apart... and CHECK. That would be my first order of business... :up:

:smoke:

*IF* the hammer rode the bolt as the shell chambers, it would NOT go click when the trigger is pulled... there would be nothing to go CLICK... the hammer is ALREADY loose.

Da man speaks truth.....

my vote is on the firing pin...for what its worth :rolleyes:

I am going to go with either gunked up, or worn, firing pin... or maybe even the broken firing pin...

take the bolt apart... and CHECK. That would be my first order of business... :up:

I have broke it down before and cleaned everything in the bolt. What I'll do is take apart my other unfired new in the box saiga and see if the firing pins are the same?

• 4 months later...

+1 had same issue ecspecially with hard remington primers, to much oil on firing pin attracted sludge slowing down the pin. clean that baby good every few hundred rounds and disassemble and inspect it for wear or breakage if the cleaning doesn't help. remember, no oil on bolt face. perhaps some creative application of moly would work better than conventional gun oil if sludge is the issue. good luck!!