Dad gave me an old Winchester Model 94 he got from a cousin a few years back. Said he didn't want it, or had no use for it. It was dirty as sin with lots of gunk (looked like rust) in the barrel. I cleaned her up last night and she sure is nice looking. After cleaning out the barrel, it appears that the rifling is between 95 - 99% intact. Only one slightly small looking nick in the bore on an area where I noticed a big rust patch had formed. My question to you older guys is where the heck is the SN#? There are no SN marks anywhere.

Nothing there. Not even evidence that there was ever anything there in the first place. Just smooth metal with natural wear all around the receiver. The exterior looks like it has been around for a very long time. However, the internals are all pretty much in excellent condition. Like I mentioned earlier, the bore is excellent. I believe that this rifle was used often at one time, and then for whatever reason, was stored without being cleaned. I soaked the bore with Hopps 9 for about an hour before I started running brushes and swabs through it and was really surprised to see all the gunk come right out to reveal such a nice bore. Where else on the rifle would Winchester have placed an identification mark or serial number if not under the receiver?

I have a 94 from November 55, I know that because I looked up the number. IRC guns had to have a # by the Gun Control Act of 1968

Figured I would check and Will is right on the placement, right where the handguard meets the receiver on the bottom of the gun.

Edited by scoutjoe

Conceivable that it doesn't have a serial. I've seen a number of used guns in Cabela's gun library for sale without serials, I asked about it and they said they're still legal to possess so long as they started life legally without the serial (as opposed to defaced = felony) and sell, they just write "NSN" on the 4473.

Found out more about this last night. Apparently, the previous owner before my father got the rifle, would mail order his rifles from Sears and Wards (way back when you could do this). So, it's very likely that this was a Winchester 94 made for such a company. But I would still expect to see a SN# in the same place as every other similar rifle. Like I said, the metal is smooth with no evidence of any tampering or filing down in the area where the number should be. Unless this thing is really that so old that the numbers have eroded away. I really don't know. Oh well, I don't care. I'm just going to finish cleaning her up and will try her out this weekend.

Found out more about this last night. Apparently, the previous owner before my father got the rifle, would mail order his rifles from Sears and Wards (way back when you could do this). So, it's very likely that this was a Winchester 94 made for such a company. But I would still expect to see a SN# in the same place as every other similar rifle. Like I said, the metal is smooth with no evidence of any tampering or filing down in the area where the number should be. Unless this thing is really that so old that the numbers have eroded away. I really don't know. Oh well, I don't care. I'm just going to finish cleaning her up and will try her out this weekend.

A lot can happen in 100+ years.

Metal can be altered easily by a skilled craftsman.

This brings a good question to mind; If one does have a 100 year old riffle with the serial # removed long before they acquired it, is that still a felony?

I have an old British Enfield converted to 30.06 that was made in the late 1800s right about the time they started serial #ing them, How could a person tell the difference between a modified # & one that never had a # to begin with? (short of the tests that the FBI preforms polishing, hitting it with an acid & looking at it under special cameras/lenses)

Don't mean to bring this one back from the dead but does anyone know a good link to use for getting info on more modern firearms, say from 30yrs ago. I tried the link posted above to no avail. I'm trying to date a win. lever action 9422 (.22) that I believe is 30yrs old. Also, since i'm here, I can't seem to upload my profile pic onto my profile. Any help, thanks

Not sure I can be much help. JUST BE CAREFUL dont just give your serial numbers to anybody....you could try googling it.............

As far as your pic goes try turning off your firewall temporarily, I know I find my firewall is tight enough to make diamonds......

Anymore info DLT as far as your WIN is conserned????? Just curious...........

Edited by Bean.223