This is the first bolt action gun I've ever owned, and while I've always heard that bolt guns were inherently more accurate than semi-auto guns, I had no idea how much so. The Howa is a pretty economical gun, and I cheaped out on my scope (I found a Eurolux 2.5-10X scope with Leupold rings at the gun show for $50), so I wasn't expecting much in the way of accuracy, mainly because of the scope.

DSCF1445-1.jpg

DSCF1444.jpg

Well, I went to an actual shooting range on monday, and was pleasantly surprised. This is the first scope I've ever sighted in at a range, I've half-assed my POSP at the 'shootin' spot' but that doesn't really count. I was hitting pretty much the same hole at 100 yards once it got on point, and I'm totally stoked. I've never been hunting before, but now I feel obligated to go shoot a deer or something.

Bolt actions are NICE.

I love my 8mm Mauser. I don't have the heart to do permanent mods to the gun since it was in mint condition when i got it, so I just have a Mojo aperture replacement sight on the back. Scopes mounts require drilling :(

But yeah, the thing is a tack driver. I have been giving thought to getting a replacement stock for it and keeping the original. Maybe I can find something with integrated rails or I can just grab a .308 and use that for long range.

About how much was the gun, out of curiosity?

Bolt actions are NICE.

I love my 8mm Mauser. I don't have the heart to do permanent mods to the gun since it was in mint condition when i got it, so I just have a Mojo aperture replacement sight on the back. Scopes mounts require drilling :(

But yeah, the thing is a tack driver. I have been giving thought to getting a replacement stock for it and keeping the original. Maybe I can find something with integrated rails or I can just grab a .308 and use that for long range.

About how much was the gun, out of curiosity?

Drill baby Drill! It is not worth so much that it will change your life. It is a tool. Let it loose. Customize that sucker!

Yeah, the Hogue stock is pretty what got me interested. I saw it sitting on the shelf at the gun store, picked it up, and it felt really nice. I think the heavy barrel helps a lot, surprisingly, the recoil is comparable to my Saiga .308. For $480, you can't go wrong.

Yeah, that's it, but mine didn't come with a scope or rings. I believe the barrel is free floating, I think I remember the guy at the gun shop saying something about it. That means that it doesn't touch the stock, correct? The barrel is pretty beefy, and the stock shoulders great.

Yeah, that's it, but mine didn't come with a scope or rings. I believe the barrel is free floating, I think I remember the guy at the gun shop saying something about it. That means that it doesn't touch the stock, correct? The barrel is pretty beefy, and the stock shoulders great.

just do the dollar bill test.....if you can slide a dollar between the barrel and stock you should be good to go...if not get out the emery(sp?) cloth