Bullpup Saiga 308?!

Yeah I hear ya. I'm more interested in a 308 bullpup as a main battle rifle. You really cant use 308 for home defense just because of penetration, but if I like the kit, I'd love to have a higher caliber BR when the SHTF. Right now I don't have a semi auto larger than 223/12 guage

Mossberg used to sell a 500 Bullpup...really bad-a looking.

Bullpup design is a really great concept, but execution rarely meets the promise. The problem is the remote trigger linkage. I don't know of anyone who has solved the problem and made the bullpup trigger crisp and precise. Until that happens, it is at best a compromise design with long, slow, numb triggers.

Still, they are sweet looking and it's nice to have a full length barrel and full power rifle in a really short package.

...taking a rifle and removing what makes it better than a pistol.

Umm...not really. You still have a full length barrel on a shoulder fired weapon, so pretty much all of the advantages of a rifle remain. Maybe the sighting radius is less, but everything else remains.

I built a bullpup on my 7.62x39... Even with all the weight I added to the front I could not get a good balance. I had to add an extra pistol grip to the front so you could lever the nose down, even then the rifle walked up really bad.

I think the action needs to be custom built for a bullpup.

I built a bullpup on my 7.62x39... Even with all the weight I added to the front I could not get a good balance. I had to add an extra pistol grip to the front so you could lever the nose down, even then the rifle walked up really bad.

I think the action needs to be custom built for a bullpup.

Have you looked into having your barrel ported?

It was not really a problem with recoil as much as just poorly distributed weight. The bolt flying back unbalances the rifle. I don't think its something porting will really fix. Maybe a .308 with a 21 inch barrel would be just the thing, after all most are really nose heavy to start with.

Again I'm not talking about something I bought in a kit just something I slapped together in maybe a weekend. I added several solid steel 1/2" plates right in the front of the grip and I had the back PG all the way back I could. Even still it was really back heavy.

Best part of making the little monster was trying to align the scope mount to the bore, ended up cutting a plate of 16 gauge about 3/4" tall and setting it on the sight pins and then putting the scope mount flat with that. ended up being about three inches off at 50 yards (more luck then skill I'm sure).

th_IMG_2142.jpg

Edited by csspecs

Though I have nothing to do with this auction, I do know the seller's work. Doug Hall is a master craftsman and gunsmith and his work is well known here in Atlanta. I saw that rifle once in the past and it was really nice. I would not mind having it and I have no crap.

As to the Bullpup vs Conventional rifle debate. You will seldom find folks with a Bullpup that do not like it.

The ones's that you usually hear carping about them usually fall within two catogories.

They fired one once and because the weapons handling was a obviously different they figured it was just easier to bash it then learn something new.

They have never even shot one and are just repeating some Internet bullshit they read to make themselves seem like they have a clue.

I'm not exactly sure how you can think a bullpup design takes away the advantages a rifle has over a pistol. Please list what the advatages that a rifle has over all pistol and then explain how they are done away with. I seriously don't get that comment at all.

I have owned a few bullpups (aug and PS90) and I rather like them. I have never tried any of the Ak bullpups though. The two traditional disadvatages of the design have been the lack of ambidexterity and the trigger. Various designs have dealt with issue one and are fully ambidextrous. Purportedly the RFB has a good trigger. I would really like to try one to confirm but the reports are all positive. Hopefully other Bullpup designs can capitalize from the improvements made there.

• 1 month later...

I have the everlasting internal struggle as to weather or not to bullpup my 22" 308. I picture it with a railed forearm mounted long range scope and a harris 6-9" bi-pod. A nice compact long range beast. Maybe I'll buy another one so I can have both. :devil: