thanks for all the input and info.....i took a trip to austin today and had a chance to visit with my unce who is retired military and told me to hold off on my purchase cause he is gonna try to hook me up with a military issue eotech im onna give him a month i he doesnt come through its either the millet or the pk

Only one retail outlet has the PK-AS right now (Kalinka Optics).

Even though its a bit spendy, its worth picking up as they will no longer be imported.

I really don't understand some people's obsession with having iron sight co-witness with their optics. If your optic fails for any reason, it is unrealistic to assume you will still be able to look through it to continue using your iron sight. I personally am using a mount with a quick release lever with my reflex sight (Mueller Quick Shot reflex sight comes recommended by me by the way, 3 MOA at smallest setting), which always keeps zero when reattached to the rifle. So in a situation where an optic fails I don't have to continue struggling to see through the freaking broken optic for my supposedly superior co-witness setup, where instead I just flip a lever and toss the broken optic immediately.

Light refraction from cracked and crooked glass in your optic will make your sight appear in a different location relative to when your optic was functional, making your co-witness setup ending up completely throwing off your aim with a broken optic. Bad idea IMO if you think this will work to use your irons as a backup like this. Good luck with that though.

I'd really like to see a rifle configured with co-witness, then have someone mess up the glass so a lens is crooked and see how good you see those irons after that and if they appear lined up still with POI when fired. I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed.

Battery failure is #1 worry, not breaking glass. I give no thought whatsoever to the glass in my optic actually breaking. If something put that much force on my optic, I'm fucked, if not my arms holding the rifle or my face. If the battery dies, there's no "Struggling" to see anything, there's just no aiming dot there. If mud or something gets on it, wiping it off with a finger is quicker than anything else.

Just dropping the rifle from arm-height, on hard packed dirt, directly on the optic, it doesn't even lose zero, and that's with my fairly cheap ($160) red dot. With a sling its hard for me to even see that happen.

That's also why I have a tube-style red dot, not a single lens holographic. That style like you are suggesting does appear kind of fragile, but I've never had one.

Everyone has a preference, go with what you like.

Edited by Sharker524
thanks for all the input and info.....i took a trip to austin today and had a chance to visit with my unce who is retired military and told me to hold off on my purchase cause he is gonna try to hook me up with a military issue eotech im onna give him a month i he doesnt come through its either the millet or the pk

Even though its a bit spendy, its worth picking up as they will no longer be imported.

Nooooo! http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pk-as.html

$60 cheaper there. I have bought from those guys twice now and had no problems.

Incorrect, eastwave hasn't updated their website in over a year. Email them and they will tell you those are not in stock. Further eastwave will no longer be importing them. Kalinka Optics is the sole retail source for these in North America as of this date. You still can find them for around $350 on gunbroker...

Incorrect, eastwave hasn't updated their website in over a year. Email them and they will tell you those are not in stock. Further eastwave will no longer be importing them. Kalinka Optics is the sole retail source for these in North America as of this date. You still can find them for around $350 on gunbroker...

I got my PK-AS from Eastwave about a month ago, after e-mailing them and verifying that they did, in fact, have it "in stock". The package came from Belarus in about a week and a half. Why would they have stopped offering them? They seem to have a direct connection to the BelOMO factory and it seems like it would be pretty lucrative. I mean, how much can it cost the Belorussians to make one of these? $350 for it is a huge rip-off, IMO.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I'll kick in a +1 on the Vortex Strike Fire and the UTG Quadrail. I've only got about 2000 rounds through my rifle with it, but so far, no failures on the Vortex. Holds zero perfectly with (go ahead and laugh bigsal) a UTG side mount. The Vortex has not needed batteries yet after many many hours of play. Check the reviews on both and make your own decision.

well i got to shoot my rifle today for the first time after the conversion, i put 130 rounds through it and it fired flawlesly and smoothly...the tapco trigger group really makes a good gun better....anyway i quickly sighted in the replica i had thrown on my quad rail and it performed pretty well the scout style mounting wasnt to bad to get used to....still doing my research on the scopes though the millet is out cause i think its to much for this gun maybe when i start on my ar ill pick up one fo that looks like the vortex or the pk are in the running

I got my PK-AS from Eastwave about a month ago, after e-mailing them and verifying that they did, in fact, have it "in stock". The package came from Belarus in about a week and a half. Why would they have stopped offering them? They seem to have a direct connection to the BelOMO factory and it seems like it would be pretty lucrative. I mean, how much can it cost the Belorussians to make one of these? $350 for it is a huge rip-off, IMO.

No shit! Emails sent, if they have them in stock, Im buying two more. I emailed them three months ago and they were out and said they were not getting any more. This is good news indeed if their back!

I really don't understand some people's obsession with having iron sight co-witness with their optics. If your optic fails for any reason, it is unrealistic to assume you will still be able to look through it to continue using your iron sight. I personally am using a mount with a quick release lever with my reflex sight (Mueller Quick Shot reflex sight comes recommended by me by the way, 3 MOA at smallest setting), which always keeps zero when reattached to the rifle. So in a situation where an optic fails I don't have to continue struggling to see through the freaking broken optic for my supposedly superior co-witness setup, where instead I just flip a lever and toss the broken optic immediately.

Light refraction from cracked and crooked glass in your optic will make your sight appear in a different location relative to when your optic was functional, making your co-witness setup ending up completely throwing off your aim with a broken optic. Bad idea IMO if you think this will work to use your irons as a backup like this. Good luck with that though.

I'd really like to see a rifle configured with co-witness, then have someone mess up the glass so a lens is crooked and see how good you see those irons after that and if they appear lined up still with POI when fired. I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed.

You make a good point stix. The quick release lever is a good plan for rail mounted optics... is the weight of the quick release noticeable, or insubstantial?

But really when it comes down to it are any of you really in a combat situation with your AK's, for home defense it definitely won't be my go to gun. Same goes for hunting.

No shit! Emails sent, if they have them in stock, Im buying two more. I emailed them three months ago and they were out and said they were not getting any more. This is good news indeed if their back!

I hope that it wasn't some kind of a fluke thing for me and you are able to get them. Honestly, when I e-mailed them, I was surprised when they answered that they had them in stock, considering that they seem to do most of their business on E-Bay and they don't have the PK-AS' listed there.

I hope that it wasn't some kind of a fluke thing for me and you are able to get them. Honestly, when I e-mailed them, I was surprised when they answered that they had them in stock, considering that they seem to do most of their business on E-Bay and they don't have the PK-AS' listed there.

Well Ive been saving for an SGL31, but if these are in at $288 I will buy two and sell them on gunbroker when they go out of stock again and prices climb back into the $350-450 range. I have not heard back from my email, but Im really, really hoping they have them!