Location of the gas ports S12? Total ports are?

I've poured thru the threads to see if there was a picture showing where to find the gas ports. I remove the plug and all I can see is one large hole to the top of the barrel. I can't see any smaller holes but I took a dental pick and ran it inside the large hole and the pick located two smaller holes.

Does the large hole count for 1 so then I have 3 ports?

Edited by kwesi

No, the "large hole" doesn't count as a gas port. The gas ports are the "smaller holes". If I were you, I'd take another look with a light and a pick. From the way you describe your S-12 running, I'd be truly suprised if you didn't have 3 gas ports. The front port is a little less obvious than the rear two.

No, the "large hole" doesn't count as a gas port. The gas ports are the "smaller holes". If I were you, I'd take another look with a light and a pick. From the way you describe your S-12 running, I'd be truly suprised if you didn't have 3 gas ports. The front port is a little less obvious than the rear two.

I was using a large paper clip at first but the diameter of it was too thick to feel the ports. Did the Vodka specials only have 2 ports?

You don't have a vodka special based on your previous range report.

Keep poking around to find the other port. One of mine has a port hidden visually (but not obstructed) by the gas block. Try a flashlight at the block and look down the barrel (safely of course).

Indeed. I have 4 ports and mine wont cycle low brass on setting 1.

low brass should be fired on setting 2..

i have 3 ports and im able to fire low brass on either gas setting.. then again i have close to 2,000rds through mine

Edited by presto_z

all older guns had 3 gas ports. during the factory retooling sometime a year or so ago, there were some military contract barrels that accidentally got mixed into the fray when full production resumed on that line, and are the barrels that had two gas ports in them. Upon contacting the russians, they started drilling a fourth hole in the regular barrels, as there apparantly was some miscommunication as to what the issue was, and since that time, they have gone back to the 3 port spec.

2 port guns mixed into a couple different batches mid to early late 2008, and the four holers were introduced shortly after the problem was discovered and addressed and only ran for a short time, before the factory went back to 3 ports.

You should fire EVERYTHING on gas setting one that works fine on gas setting one. gas setting two is only for the lightest loads. I have a 2001 3 port gun, with over 10k rounds down it. I have abused the living hell out of this particular gun which I have had since this forum began, more or less, and I have put abnormal wear on it in the process. I expect it to last for quite some time yet, but dont really have the money or a place to shoot like I did, when I lived in NY, since moving to Florida, or I would be doing more hanous stuff to it, just to continue prove to the doubters out there as to the potential of this weapon. Sadly, Ive put only about 200 rounds down it since moving here two years ago, where I would put that many rounds down it while living in NY every other day, at times.

Okay I can't see squat with a flash light and magnifying lens BUT I did take a plastic tipped probe. Inside the center of the "large hole" appears to be the first gas port and is the only one in plain view then above it at 11:00 and 1:00 are two more.

You're right then I've got three....let the conversion begin :super:

bigsky: the tolerances on the saiga-12 are unlike any other autoloading shotgun you know.....its not a lot, but its pretty consistantly "tolerated". Its a heck of a gun, that being one of the reasons. Some guns just work right, its weird, which is why there is a break-in period.....

Kwesi is local to me, apparantly, Ill check their gun for them myself when I meet them in Nov at the Saiga-12.com Florida shoot. It does not sound out of spec, to me. If it is, its not by much, and every gun wears under heavy use, no matter how you slice it. Ill check it out myself, when I get a chance, anyhow.....Its not an issue, so far as I can tell....

low brass should be fired on setting 2..

i have 3 ports and im able to fire low brass on either gas setting.. then again i have close to 2,000rds through mine

No shit. :rolleyes:

My post was in referance to kwesi's other thread about his being able to fire low brass stuff on setting one. I was agreeing with post-apocalyptic, kwesi's gun couldn't have just two ports if it was able to do that.

I was also adding that my gun, which has 4 ports, won't fire low brass reliably on setting 1. It will fire them on setting 2. :haha:

Now, Bvamp, you say that an S12 should be able to fire all but the shittiest of low brass on setting 1 just fine? I assume it's not a big problem if it doesn't?

Now this is setting up to confuse a lot of people.

1. Some people are confused about the #1 & #2 settings.

The number by the detent pin is the setting the gun is "On"

(Sorry but I've had to clarify this a lot lately)

2. Setting number 1 is for Magnum loads, setting number 2 is for 2 3/4 loads.

This is subject to a wide range of variables. If your gun cycles a load on number 2 and throws the empty way out,(10 or 15 ft away) then try it on number 1 setting and see if it ejects.

3. The less amount of gas you bleed into the gas system the better off your gun is.

Less gas into the system, leads to less powder fouling, and less stress to the weapon system.

(Does not beat the hell out of the back part)

4. Any gun firing light loads on number one setting is probably overgassed. I would recommend an overhall on the ports or just install the gunfixer gasplug. Overgassing is hard on the weapon and will lead to wear problems on down the road.

5. As these guns get "worn in" they will cycle differently. They smooth up and even out on their "feeding" . But when properly maintained, they will run 20,000 rds without a problem.

Hope this helps clear the subject up a bit. Tom Cole, CGW

bigsky: the tolerances on the saiga-12 are unlike any other autoloading shotgun you know.....its not a lot, but its pretty consistantly "tolerated". Its a heck of a gun, that being one of the reasons. Some guns just work right, its weird, which is why there is a break-in period.....

Kwesi is local to me, apparantly, Ill check their gun for them myself when I meet them in Nov at the Saiga-12.com Florida shoot. It does not sound out of spec, to me. If it is, its not by much, and every gun wears under heavy use, no matter how you slice it. Ill check it out myself, when I get a chance, anyhow.....Its not an issue, so far as I can tell....

Bvamp: thanks for the personal inspection! BTW: I have ordered the Gunfixr gas plug! PM sent!

...The front port is a little less obvious than the rear two.

^ Yeah, reverse this. My gun, (and other 3-port guns I would imagine), has two ports in front, (tough to see from the angle of looking down into the gas tube), and one more visible one in the back. I had it reversed in my mind when I posted this. Actually looking at the gun, (while cleaning it), showed me my error. :blush:

van killer: 4. Any gun firing light loads on number one setting is probably overgassed. I would recommend an overhall on the ports or just install the gunfixer gasplug. Overgassing is hard on the weapon and will lead to wear problems on down the road.

Thanks for clearing that up. This exactly what I had thought and had been telling people who had an issue with this problem.

The easiest way to find all of the ports is with a paper clip. Straighten out one side, and bend a 90 degree leg about 1/4" long on the end. With the gas plug removed, and good light, you can feel around in the large opening in the gas block for the ports. Often, at least one of them is up against the front side of the gas block opening and cannot be seen. Also, the gas block opening is tapered, and larger where it meets the barrel. The gas ports are also drilled into the barrel angled towards the breech. This directs gas toward the gas puck, and helps keep wad fouling to a minimum.

Like Tom said, everything working on 1 is overgassed.

Think of the numbers like the volume on the stereo. The higher the number, the more gas you're letting through. The number that counts is the one over the lock pin on the gas block.