New US made railed forend from a quality company

Midwest Industries now has out a railed forend for AK's. I'm not sure how new it is, but I haven't seen any talk of it here. Or I may have completely missed it (very possible).

Price is a little over $100. Not bad for a completely US made railed forend. I'd take this one over a UTG any day. At least until Kross and/or Cameron @ CHAOS start spitting out rails for rifles. <hint, hint, nudge, nudge>

I've had MI gear for my AR, and I consider their stuff great quality.

From the looks of the last pic, these will work without a lower handguard retainer. I'm assuming that the "Handguard Clamp" is all that is needed for the install to keep it in place. If this is true, it's a big plus, IMO.

(BTW, you can get these for about $80+shipping from a place "we don't speak of", that is running a big sale right now. If you can't figure it out, PM me, and I'll give you a link. As far as I know, none of our vendors here carry this, so I don't consider it to be "undercutting" them.)

post-5916-1252564264_thumb.png

post-5916-1252564284_thumb.jpg

post-5916-1252564302_thumb.jpg

Edited by 22_Shooter
  • Like 1

Looks nice. I think it might look funny without a hand guard retainer though. It looks like the front would be open. It is real nice to see more American made options out there, but I think I'll keep my "air soft UTG crap" until Cross or Chaos comes out with something Saiga specific. Then again I don't plan on hanging anything from my rail, I just like the fact that it cools down at least twice as fast as the stocker.

I still don't get why there is this hate for UTG. Isn't this a piece of aluminum with rails that screws onto the front to hold accessories? I can see it as a potential alternative to the UTG rail if you need another part for your 922r count or you don't like the length of the UTG rail, but this will need a handguard retainer or else it will only be held in place by friction on the gas tube (which will also need to be replaced). The first time you shoot your rifle without a handguard retainer this rail system will most definitely move forward. So your $80 (on sale) part will cost about $200 when all is said and done. I am completely happy with my UTG rail. It fits precisely and is rock solid. Otherwise, it is nice to see another option out there.

<snip> but this will need a handguard retainer or else it will only be held in place by friction on the gas tube (which will also need to be replaced). The first time you shoot your rifle without a handguard retainer this rail system will most definitely move forward.

As has been conjectured in this thread, it is unknown whether a "hand guard retainer" will be needed.

The Samson K-Rail requires no hand guard retainer, so there is precedent.

IMHO, it makes more sense for a designer to integrate a universal attachment method so that they don't have to stock two products (one for regular AKs and one for Saigas) or alienate a growing clientele (not sure if you've noticed, but the AK importation is slowing down . . )

I only base my speculation on the given photos of the attachment method. It shows a screw in clamp on the under side of the gas tube area as well as a molded contact point for the upper gas tube. That, coupled with the open front design leads me to reasonably believe that nothing else holds this system in place. Not to mention the looks of the unit when mounted. It also clearly shows a snug mount on three different non-shrouded gas tubes (non-Saiga gas tubes), that is why I say that you will either need to alter your factory gas tube by removing the shroud or buy a new one.

Edited by JaxSmirkingRevenge

I've got one on a WASR-10 and I like i for the most part. It attaches to the barrel with a clamp system(the handguard retainer is not used) and there is a set screw on each side of the top clamp that go against the gas tube to keep the thing from rotating. I haven't decided if this setup is secure enough since I did encounter some forward back shift while shooting it. Afterwords though, I did find that I could tighten the scews some more, so it just might be a case of I didn't tighten things enough from the get go. The good news is that you can still access the barrel clamp screws while the handguard is on the gun so it will be easy to check.

ETA. Since I don't own a saiga yet, I have no idea if it would work on one.

Edited by sodak
I still don't get why there is this hate for UTG. Isn't this a piece of aluminum with rails that screws onto the front to hold accessories? I can see it as a potential alternative to the UTG rail if you need another part for your 922r count or you don't like the length of the UTG rail, but this will need a handguard retainer or else it will only be held in place by friction on the gas tube (which will also need to be replaced). The first time you shoot your rifle without a handguard retainer this rail system will most definitely move forward. So your $80 (on sale) part will cost about $200 when all is said and done. I am completely happy with my UTG rail. It fits precisely and is rock solid. Otherwise, it is nice to see another option out there.

I don't see how this thing uses a lower handguard retainer. It doesn't have the rim/lip around the front of the handguard (like regular AK handguards) that slip into the lower HG retainer. It's completely smooth.

As seen below, it uses that "handguard clamp" to attach to the barrel, not just the gas tube.

Ultimak railed lower HG's don't require lower HG retainers either and will work on Saigas without them. It has some other method of attaching.

I've got one on a WASR-10 and I like i for the most part. It attaches to the barrel with a clamp system(the handguard retainer is used) and there is a set screw on each side of the top clamp that go against the gas tube to keep the thing from rotating. I haven't decided if this setup is secure enough since I did encounter some forward back shift while shooting it. Afterwords though, I did find that I could tighten the scews some more, so it just might be a case of I didn't tighten things enough from the get go. The good news is that you can still access the barrel clamp screws while the handguard is on the gun so it will be easy to check.

You say "the handguard retainer is used". How exactly?

You're the only one with one of these in hand, as far as we know.

You're going to have to be our info source. :D

I don't see how this thing uses a lower handguard retainer. It doesn't have the rim/lip around the front of the handguard (like regular AK handguards) that slip into the lower HG retainer. It's completely smooth.

As seen below, it uses that "handguard clamp" to attach to the barrel, not just the gas tube.

Ultimak railed lower HG's don't require lower HG retainers either and will work on Saigas without them. It has some other method of attaching.

I've got one on a WASR-10 and I like i for the most part. It attaches to the barrel with a clamp system(the handguard retainer is used) and there is a set screw on each side of the top clamp that go against the gas tube to keep the thing from rotating. I haven't decided if this setup is secure enough since I did encounter some forward back shift while shooting it. Afterwords though, I did find that I could tighten the scews some more, so it just might be a case of I didn't tighten things enough from the get go. The good news is that you can still access the barrel clamp screws while the handguard is on the gun so it will be easy to check.

I f*%ked up. That's a typo. I meant to say you DON'T use the handguard retainer. The barrel clamp is the only thing holding it to the gun. I'll have to fix my post on this now.

I f*%ked up. That's a typo. I meant to say you DON'T use the handguard retainer. The barrel clamp is the only thing holding it to the gun. I'll have to fix my post on this now.

Awesome. Even better news.

So this thing definitely doesn't need a lower HG retainer. Perfect for Saigas.

I saw these on sale at "that place which we don't speak of" and ordered one last night. I'm going to give it a run on my x39 and then possibly see if I can ream it to fit one of my S12's.

Yeah, I was THIS close to ordering one. Had it in my "cart", started filling out my info.........then I stopped. There's other things I need at the moment more than this :( .

Let us know how it works out.

Awesome. Even better news.

So this thing definitely doesn't need a lower HG retainer. Perfect for Saigas.

Right the only possible use of the handguard retainer would be in the event that this handguard wants to keep shifting back and forth a person could shim the thing so it would sit tight between the handguard retainer and receiver. This isn't MI's idea, this is a possible solution I came up with if my handgaurd keeps shifting. In reality I'm not sure if the forward back shift is all that big a deal unless you're like me and stuck an aimpoint on it. IF all a person is running is things like a light and VFG i doubt it would be a big deal. One other thing to keep in mind though that after tightening the handguard down, I didn't shoot it anymore so I don't know if I've solved the problem or not.

I wish I could pick up another one for that sale price, but I've got to get some compliance parts in the event I get a saiga and convert it first.

Right, that is correct, this won't NEED a handguard retainer to stay on the barrel. It WILL require a new or modified gas tube and WILL have an open front end. The only thing keeping it in place on the barrel will be friction of metal to metal contact. Every time you fire, the gun has a sudden force applied to it that causes it to move backward. This is recoil. An object at rest will want to stay at rest. There is nothing to physically hold this rail from moving forward except friction. It WILL move forward eventually without something to keep it in place. Friction will not be enough with the recoil trying to hammer the barrel back from within the rail. Add the fact that the barrel flexes as the bullet exits and it is nearly a certainty.

I wouldn't exactly say perfect for Saigas. I might be persuaded to believe that it would be acceptable for a movie prop gun as long as it was not fired and was only photographed from the side or the rear.

Right, that is correct, this won't NEED a handguard retainer to stay on the barrel. It WILL require a new or modified gas tube and WILL have an open front end.

The movement issue is all speculation as of right now. I'll wait to see what the 2 in this thread say, who actually have one and fire it (Moe; once he get's it, and sodak; once he fires it after tightening it.)

As for the open end? That's a non issue, IMO. How many free-float AR rails are open ended? Most, if not all (you can buy "end caps" for YHM rails, though). No problems there.

I wouldn't exactly say perfect for Saigas. I might be persuaded to believe that it would be acceptable for a movie prop gun as long as it was not fired and was only photographed from the side or the rear.

You seem to have a lot of negative assumptions for something you don't have or have ever handled.

I saw these on sale at "that place which we don't speak of" and ordered one last night. I'm going to give it a run on my x39 and then possibly see if I can ream it to fit one of my S12's.

Yeah, I was THIS close to ordering one. Had it in my "cart", started filling out my info.........then I stopped. There's other things I need at the moment more than this :( .

Let us know how it works out.

Lol, I fought with it for a while, left the site, came back, left again, and finally said fuck it!

I figure if I'm getting a 5.45 soon, I could always use it on that.

I agree that I am making negative assumptions for something I haven't ever handled. Much like you make positive assumptions for something you don't have and haven't handled. I am able to understand basic principles of physics and grasp that basic metal on metal friction will be insufficient to counter the jarring forces of recoil. I do not disagree that it can be made to fit on a Saiga with some work and extra expense. To say it is PERFECT for a Saiga is a huge stretch. Since you say "coughfuckUTGcough" in your header, do you own a UTG Saiga rail or are you making assumptions? Because I have never been able to find a negative review from a UTG Saiga owner.

I do not intend to be confrontational, I just do not want to see a bunch of people potentially waste their money on something that may not meet their expectations.

There is a huge thread about this, I'll sum it up for you:

If you're an American and you buy a Chinese made product over a comparable American made product, you're basically selling out to Communism. This goes doubly for people who claim to be Republicans and/or Right-Wing (with the exception of possibly purist Libertarians) AND infinitely so for people who claim to be Patriots. The biggest fraud is seeing cars parked at Walmart (where nearly 95% of the products are made in China) with McCain/Palin, Pro-American, and/or Troop Support bumper stickers; one can say they support all of that, but they sell out all of their beliefs when they turn around and shop there.

It drives me up the wall every time people say, go buy some Winchester ammo at Walmart, every time, I think.. "Get a fucking clue, for Christ's sake!"

If I saw two pair of boots the first costing $100 and Made in China, the second costing $300 and Made in the USA, even if they looked the same, I'd pay the extra for my money to stay in my country. The reasons behind this are: 1. the product made in the USA is more likely to be of higher quality, I've seen it time and time again, 2. more of the money stays in the country and possibly my state, 3. the support is better if I have questions about the product, I can call the company and generally talk to an American, not "Heeloo mai neem is Roobert Smiiith, hoow mei ei elp yoo todee?", 4. many many other reasons, which I don't feel like going over again and again.

Buy American products or go get a Chinese flag and wave that!

Edited by vbrtrmn

There is a huge thread about this, I'll sum it up for you:

If you're an American and you buy a Chinese made product over a comparable American made product, you're basically selling out to Communism. This goes doubly for people who claim to be Republicans and/or Right-Wing (with the exception of possibly purist Libertarians) AND infinitely so for people who claim to be Patriots. The biggest fraud is seeing cars parked at Walmart (where nearly 95% of the products are made in China) with McCain/Palin, Pro-American, and/or Troop Support bumper stickers; one can say they support all of that, but they sell out all of their beliefs when they turn around and shop there.

It drives me up the wall every time people say, go buy some Winchester ammo at Walmart, every time, I think.. "Get a fucking clue, for Christ's sake!"

If I saw two pair of boots the first costing $100 and Made in China, the second costing $300 and Made in the USA, even if they looked the same, I'd pay the extra for my money to stay in my country. The reasons behind this are: 1. the product made in the USA is more likely to be of higher quality, I've seen it time and time again, 2. more of the money stays in the country and possibly my state, 3. the support is better if I have questions about the product, I can call the company and generally talk to an American, not "Heeloo mai neem is Roobert Smiiith, hoow mei ei elp yoo todee?", 4. many many other reasons, which I don't feel like going over again and again.

Buy American products or go get a Chinese flag and wave that!

Then why do you own a Saiga? It is made in Russia. You should buy an AR platform or you are a communist by your warped logic. Go buy a Russian flag and wave that. You have to admit that it is a bit hypocritical to lecture people to only buy American on a forum dedicated to foreign made rifles. I assume that absolutely nothing in your home has any foreign made components? Or do you buy the best product for the price point that you are willing to spend?

I should add that I have not been able to locate a truly viable alternative to the UTG rail for the Saiga. If there were one, I would favor an American alternative at a similar price point. Everything on my conversion beside the UTG rail IS American made. But to deny competition goes against free market capitalist principles.

Then why do you own a Saiga? It is made in Russia. You should buy an AR platform or you are a communist by your warped logic. Go buy a Russian flag and wave that. You have to admit that it is a bit hypocritical to lecture people to only buy American on a forum dedicated to foreign made rifles. I assume that absolutely nothing in your home has any foreign made components? Or do you buy the best product for the price point that you are willing to spend?

Wow, we've got another one here... How the fuck do you know what I own? Have I listed any guns here, no, get a fucking clue.

Read the fucking post, I said, if I can buy a comparable American product I always do, even if I had to pay more for it. I never said, "I own all American things." I guess if you knew how to read you would have figured that one out.... I shouldn't expect too much.

Buy what ever you want, why not just move to China seems like it may be a better place for you.

Edited by vbrtrmn
Right, that is correct, this won't NEED a handguard retainer to stay on the barrel. It WILL require a new or modified gas tube and WILL have an open front end.

The movement issue is all speculation as of right now. I'll wait to see what the 2 in this thread say, who actually have one and fire it (Moe; once he get's it, and sodak; once he fires it after tightening it.)

As for the open end? That's a non issue, IMO. How many free-float AR rails are open ended? Most, if not all (you can buy "end caps" for YHM rails, though). No problems there.

Just one more thing to mention, if any of you guys are waiting for me to fire it and see the results, you better not be in any hurry. I'm saving my ammo for a shoot on the 26th of Sepember so I won't be able to do anything until then. I don't know if the movement issue is a very big deal unless you're going to run and optic on it. The weird thing is that I had it so it was contacting the receiver at first. The handguard shifted ahead a little bit, then after a while started to move back, which has me confused. Anybody care to explain that one to me?

To be honest the main reason I went with this handguard is that it looked like a cheap way to add an aimpoint and a light to my gun with a good quality part. The fact that I can't cowitness my aimpoint kind of sucks. Also adding a large aimpoint, a surefire g2, and a bunch of magpul xtm rail covers puts a lot of weight up front on the gun. Of course that's not the rail's fault, it's just the nature of hanging stuff of a handguard. I would have went with an ultimak, but my aimpoint is a 9000sc model and I didn't like how the front lens would sit right over the gap between the gas tube and gas block. I'm not saying the rail isn't a bad deal since it doesn a lot of good things, but if I had the money for a smaller aimpoint I would run an ultimak with an offset light I've seen other people do.

In a way I wish I hadn't been the first to buy one of these things because now I'm the one who has to give initial impressions and I'm not the best reviewer for the job. Hopefully someone else can give a better rundown of one of these.

Wow, we've got another one here... How the fuck do you know what I own? Have I listed any guns here, no, get a fucking clue.

Read the fucking post, I said, if I can buy a comparable American product I always do, even if I had to pay more for it. I never said, "I own all American things." I guess if you knew how to read you would have figured that one out.... I shouldn't expect too much.

Buy what ever you want, why not just move to China seems like it may be a better place for you.

99.9% of stuff you can buy that is American made a foreign distributers also makes. A lot of American companies contract outside countrys for there customer service, service. Bottom line it is cheaper for American companies to contract outside countries for some part of their bussiness. Hardley anything these days from companies are 100% American made or that the company is 100% american ran.

So you just lurk on a foreign made rifle forum and have over a thousand posts about a rifle that you don't own just to chime in and flame posters? I seriously doubt it. Regardless, the point remains the same. Saiga is a foreign made rifle. You are lecturing about the necessity to buy strictly American accessories for a foreign rifle! It is like getting on your buy American soapbox to buy a US made hood for your Honda. The very idea of telling someone to learn how to read on a written medium like a forum is so laughably stupid that I can offer no response. The argument of the weak minded is to just curse and swear and say to just move to (fill in the blank).

99.9% of stuff you can buy that is American made a foreign distributers also makes. A lot of American companies contract outside countrys for there customer service, service. Bottom line it is cheaper for American companies to contract outside countries for some part of their bussiness. Hardley anything these days from companies are 100% American made or that the company is 100% american ran.

100% true. It is called capitalism and the free market. It is the difference between the educated person that understands economics as it pertains to America in the global market and the ignorant jagoff that just parrots "Get outta mah country" while spouting off racist stereotypes.

In a way I wish I hadn't been the first to buy one of these things because now I'm the one who has to give initial impressions and I'm not the best reviewer for the job. Hopefully someone else can give a better rundown of one of these.

LOL, too much pressure now?

I got my shipping confirmation in my email a little while ago. I guess sometime next week I'll get the pressure dumped on me, LOL!

FWIW I have handguard retainers on order from Dinzag. When those come in, I'll see if I can use them with this rail.

LOL, too much pressure now?

I got my shipping confirmation in my email a little while ago. I guess sometime next week I'll get the pressure dumped on me, LOL!

FWIW I have handguard retainers on order from Dinzag. When those come in, I'll see if I can use them with this rail.

Well on here and a few other forums I'm worried I might have influenced a few minds in the wrong direction before even I had a good chance to test it out. As it is I don't feel that I've given the handguard enough of an oportunity to prove/disprove itself, before I can render my final verdict on this thing. I'm just not one to put out a possibly incorrect review on a product I'm using. I'm affraid in an attempt to get some initial information out to the AK community, I failed to do that.

Yes the internet is serious business. :rolleyes:

Could always find a 'COLLAR' (aka spilt-collar with allen screws) that will fit around the barrel (paint it black) and push it FLUSH toward the lower HG area and torque the piss out of it.. It would act as a lower HG retainer.

That would help HOLD it (the handguard) in place.. My .02 on that..

I like the VENTED look of this one also..