SAR-1 or WASR-10...?

WASR's also accept double stack magazines. There are still a few single stack WASR's running around, though. The hi-cap WASR's are just converted from the single stack version.

The easiest way to tell the difference between a WASR and an SAR is the dimple. SAR's have dimples and WASR's do not.

The image is my SAR-3. Notice the dimple above the mag...all SAR's have that. There are those on the AK-47 net forums who say the SAR is a true military receiver, but I don't know if that is true.

I own a WASR hi-cap and I would bet that it shoots as good as an SAR-1, but it doesn't shoot as good as my Saiga.

post-438-1110423809_thumb.jpg

Edited by j-man

The only differences are the SAR series have mag dimples and were hicaps to begin with, and the WASRs have a barrel nut and at least started out as a low cap. The easiest way to tell is to look at the side and see what is etched on it. I have both and there's really no difference accuracy or reliability-wise.

My WASR10 is a hicap double stack... and I think it shoots AS GOOD as a saiga... I can get it to do 1" groups at 50M.... which is DECENT for that gun in MY opinion...

Its just a plinker, though... and I know not to expect more out of it than it is...

:smoke:

i guess nobody knows what the "10" means on the WASR designation huh? if your wasr10 accepts double stack mags, it probably was modified :)

all the WASR10's i have seen for sale locally have the same ungly laminated and clear oil coat finish on the wood. it looks like an unfinished AK almost and is very ugly. but ugly is good with a gun isnt it?

i guess nobody knows what the "10" means on the WASR designation huh? if your wasr10 accepts double stack mags, it probably was modified :)

all the WASR10's i have seen for sale locally have the same ungly laminated and clear oil coat finish on the wood. it looks like an unfinished AK almost and is very ugly. but ugly is good with a gun isnt it?

So do I want an SAR-1 or an SKS-D?

the wasr is cheaper. look at both side by side if your local dealer has both. I dont like SKS, so I wont reccomend them. just a peeve that i have. a lot of guys love them. im not one of them.

the AK is the only communist designed and produced firearm I would ever buy anyhow. some of the people i shoot with interrogated the living bejesus out of me for having a "commie gun" as they so eloquently put it :) (If I recall the beginning of that conversation and the shifty eyes looking at me like they would an enemy was "what the fuck are you doing with a commie gun") If I showed up with more "commie guns", they would either pop a round in me and throw me in an unmarked grave, or just toss me off thier property for life. (probably the first)

I wish I knew more people like them.....the old ways are dying fast, as are the old patriots.

anyway, get both. they are cheap enough. I would go with an SAR1 over a wasr10, myself....then just buy an SKS next month

I just got a WASR-10 yesterday, believe it or not. the wood has no finish on it. it's just natural and looks great i think. as for shooting, not the best but it's alright, definately a plinker though. I also prefer the wasr over my SKS. to me, the sks is to old school, thats why i got a lightweight folding stock, spice it up a bit. but my saiga is still my favorite, it's whoopin' all their asses lol.

my Wasr has laminated stocks... and forend, and handguard... personally, I think its great... As long as you buy it knowing what to expect you cant go wrong... its not a rolls royce in the gun world... its a deuce and ah half...

meant to be TOUGH... RUGGED... and do it no matter WHAT....

Its not MEANT TO LOOK PRETTY... its meant to GET THE JOB DONE!

drop it in the mud... run over it with a truck tire... pick it up, shake it out... and SHOOT it and KNOW you will be safe, cause it will FIRE and fire like its supposed to!!!

I never can understand why so many people critricize the LOOKS of a wasr... its not made to be pretty... its made to be a WORK GUN.. HARSH.. GRITTY... and just all around TOUGH...

for the money you will spend on a WASR... you get EVERY PENNIES WORTH!

:smoke:

aknsaiga.jpg

Racer beat me to the Linx310 link- his site is great.

Both the SAR series and the WASRs come PSIB-pre scratched in box.

The Romanians must have a clearcoat fetish as much as my Rommies have on them. Even my Romak3 had more clear than wood. I just scrubbed with 00 steel wool till it came out looking good.

I don't want a pretty gun, just want one that'll go bang EVERYTIME that I only need to clean every 2500 rds or so.

Hey forgot this part of the forum was here!

I have a WASR-10 through a local FFL, it's from Century Intl. Arms. Working on getting it in some kind of good looking shape...it shoots great with the Kobra sight, and I "love it long time, GI"......

I wanted to put a wood pistol grip on it and match it to the rest of the furni., but!, It appears that I will blow the parts compliance if I do that :( So I am trying to find a US made wood p-grip....Century was vague when I called them, guy seemed to really not know much about parts comp. All the US p-grips seem to be K-Var, or like that, made of poly like the one on my AK....... any suggestions? Pre-scratched metal finish? Heh, ya that's mine.......what to do short of refinishing it?..........

Thanks,

Smokes

post-734-1110951397_thumb.jpg