What's the first thing to do with a new Saiga?

Howdy from down in Houston! Tomorrow, provided UPS doesn't goof up, I go to pick up my new Saiga 7.62 x 39. In all my other hobbies (beetles, computers, brewing and bees...none of these should be done together!) there's always some kind of advice or list for what veterans or experts suggest on new purchases or techniques. I'm wondering, after I unbox the rifle and read the manual, what should I do first? Do I need to clean extra lubrication out of it? Are there specific flaws I should be mindful of when I review it at the store? Do I jack 10 rounds in and run around haphazardly announcing my new found joy firing into the air?

Thanks in advance, Mindslant!

Why not lock and load, leave the front door hanging wide open, and put Texas' "Castle laws" to the test?

Just joking.

I took my .223 to the range and watched my husband and his friends get jealous.

That night, I cleaned her for the first time, and started planning conversion parts. Two weeks later, I had a fully functional AK! I couldn't believe the phenomenal difference in balance and shooting the conversion made.

I find myself shooting at least twice a week now, and she eats every ammo I throw into her.

One of our friends ordered his 7.62, and is also expecting it tomorrow... I'm going to help him do the conversion as soon as he gets it!

The best thing about this forum is: The members are always willing to help out with any issue, and I am glad to be able to help my friend with his!

I can't wait to pay my bills this month, and become a contributor to this awesome forum!

Enjoy your Saiga!

ADD: Don't forget to "annhialate" the packing material! (hehe- Saiga joke, you'll get it tomorrow)

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

Howdy from down in Houston! Tomorrow, provided UPS doesn't goof up, I go to pick up my new Saiga 7.62 x 39. In all my other hobbies (beetles, computers, brewing and bees...none of these should be done together!) there's always some kind of advice or list for what veterans or experts suggest on new purchases or techniques. I'm wondering, after I unbox the rifle and read the manual, what should I do first? Do I need to clean extra lubrication out of it? Are there specific flaws I should be mindful of when I review it at the store? Do I jack 10 rounds in and run around haphazardly announcing my new found joy firing into the air?

The only "specific flaw" I am aware of straight out of the box is you will notice the magazine is empty... not good. You should immediately fill that magazine... then proceed to empty it again.

I've been reading these out loud to my wife to prove "I'm not the only one". She'll brew beer with me and watch me get stung by bees but she's never shot with me. Bohound is helping my case a lot! By specific flaws I mean, when I buy a beetle I check certain pieces or parts that I know are often sure signs of trouble like a rusty pan. Hopefully Izmash quality is.

Well you just tell your wife "Just wait until you shoot it"! My husband and his buddies were all at the range at least twice a week with their sidearms and AR's... No AK's. I got this, and now the first of them has bought one, which I'll help him convert tomorrow night if all goes according to plan.

My husband shoots mine almost as much as I do, because his "go to" rifle is an M1A, and that ammo is pretty expensive (.308) compared to my .223. I don't shoot his, because my shoulder does not like it! I will say that shooting together, and with friends, is a great experience.

When you convert, your wife will soon want her own Saiga .223, because with a recoil buffer, there is no more recoil than a regular .22! I LOVE my Saiga (her name is Marion).

And to think I used to shake my head at those "silly boys and their rifles"... Boy was I naive!

I just remembered- After I test fired the first time, I came home, and "field stripped" Marion. Pulled her completely apart, including the gas tube, and gave her a good cleaning. I take her apart and spot clean about twice a week, while the hubby laughs and threatens to throw dirt under the dust cover next range trip.

He says it's an AK- the only time it should be cleaned is when it's been buried half a year, and THEN only wipe off the dirt and you're ready to go!

I know he's exxagerating, but I wonder how much? It really is a quality rifle!

First thing I did with my Saiga right out of the box is the same thing I would do with any firearm right out of the box, make sure didn't have a round in the chamber. Then I function checked it. Then I field stripped it to get acquainted with its layout. After reassembly and another function check, I took it to my local range and sighted in my irons. I just got mine on Saturday. I love my new AK!

When you convert, your wife will soon want her own Saiga .223, because with a recoil buffer, there is no more recoil than a regular .22!

No offense, but are you exaggerating? If you are telling the truth, maybe there is hope to get my wife using a potent gun. She likes firing my 22, but wants nothing to do with the larger rifles. I was wanting to get her a 5.45 Saiga, thinking she might be able to handle that. Will a recoil buffer really help that much?

Jim

i didnt like a buffer in mine. my gun destroyed it in under 30 rounds though and i had to dig the pieces out later. it kinda reduced my accuracy too. this could have just been a cruddy buffer. the gun is light on recoil even without one. It is also designed not to need one, but if you like the way they are with one, then go with it.

My saiga was my first battle rifle. Was suprised how easy it is to field strip one. I had it apart and back together in under 5 minutes without using a booklet. If you plan to convert, you should test fire first just to make sure it is functional and not in need any repair before you kill the warranty.

T minus 5 days and counting on my 7.62 (gotta luv Cali and waiting periods). (If I was really peeved at someone, I wouldn't have to wait 10 days, I'd just go and get one of my other weapons......) I've got my scope, mount, recoil pad, etc. all in route just waiting for it to get out of "Gun Jail". My Mini 30 is looking forward to her new roommate,too.

As an aside, are the bullet guide's for new Saiga flat or curved? I can't remember, after I looked her over and before she when into hiding.

Why not lock and load, leave the front door hanging wide open, and put Texas' "Castle laws" to the test?

Just joking.

I took my .223 to the range and watched my husband and his friends get jealous.

That night, I cleaned her for the first time, and started planning conversion parts. Two weeks later, I had a fully functional AK! I couldn't believe the phenomenal difference in balance and shooting the conversion made.

I find myself shooting at least twice a week now, and she eats every ammo I throw into her.

One of our friends ordered his 7.62, and is also expecting it tomorrow... I'm going to help him do the conversion as soon as he gets it!

The best thing about this forum is: The members are always willing to help out with any issue, and I am glad to be able to help my friend with his!

I can't wait to pay my bills this month, and become a contributor to this awesome forum!

Enjoy your Saiga!

ADD: Don't forget to "annhialate" the packing material! (hehe- Saiga joke, you'll get it tomorrow)

:super:

Test fire first, then convert, then add a bulgarian FSB and Muzzle brake... Here are the reasons:

Test fire: make sure that you don't have the strangest ak in history that doesn't work

Convert: as stated before balances the rifle and helps the trigger so much you won't believe the diff.

FSB and Muzzle brake: I went from 4" of muzzle climb per round down to under an 1", I can easily pull off more rounds on target than I could with my M16A4 and it's a bigger round..... NO BRAINER

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

Mindslant, I am in NW Harris county and have converted both my Saigas. If you need conversion parts, Tac47-Industries (forum sponsor)is local and can supply all your parts at a good price.

Have fun with your new toy.

T minus 5 days and counting on my 7.62 (gotta luv Cali and waiting periods). (If I was really peeved at someone, I wouldn't have to wait 10 days, I'd just go and get one of my other weapons......) I've got my scope, mount, recoil pad, etc. all in route just waiting for it to get out of "Gun Jail". My Mini 30 is looking forward to her new roommate,too.

As an aside, are the bullet guide's for new Saiga flat or curved? I can't remember, after I looked her over and before she when into hiding.

Yeah I never will understand why they put that same 10 day waiting period on us who already have a full gun safe... It only makes since for someone who isn't a gun owner already.

When you convert, your wife will soon want her own Saiga .223, because with a recoil buffer, there is no more recoil than a regular .22!

No offense, but are you exaggerating? If you are telling the truth, maybe there is hope to get my wife using a potent gun. She likes firing my 22, but wants nothing to do with the larger rifles. I was wanting to get her a 5.45 Saiga, thinking she might be able to handle that. Will a recoil buffer really help that much?

Jim

Jim,

Yes... I'm telling the truth. Keep in mind I'm pregnant with twins at that! The rifle simply doesn't kick, and my recoil buffer has held up looking untouched for well over 300 rounds and counting. I took it out at the range on Sunday, and there really doesn't seem to be too much diff, but the "AK ring" of the bolt carrier slamming the back of the receiver (?) is more noticable. That's really the reason I got the buffer, but if it causes any problems I'll throw it in the parts bin.

I will tell you this- EVERYTHING that I have read here about Promags is true. They are complete shit. I got two for range use, and as backups, and the "tab" (bullet guide?) at the top front broke off almost immediately. I found that out on round 2 of the first mag with a fail to feed (Marion's first, and hopefully last) with Wolf 75gr HP ammo. (By the way, that stuff is NASTY accurate at 100yds through her. More so than 45, 55, or 62gr...Wonder why that is?) The round slamming against the bottom of the chamber caused it to compress into the casing, so I threw that out, and almost threw the mag away right there at the range. Moral of the story: Promags are complete shit that I will badmouth relentlessly until proven otherwise. Too bad I don't give second chances to those that mess with my babies, and Marion counts as my baby...

Switched to the Surefire, and no problems. I'll be getting more Surefires in spite of the rather salty cost.

So anyway, in answer to your question: Yes, this is the platform to introduce your wife to a battle rifle. Just for God's sake don't be like my husband and have her fire an M1A and then laugh when it bruises her shoulder and nearly jumps out of her hand!

Be careful though, she may become a better shooter than you! (hehe)

Good luck!

Kristen

Yes... I'm telling the truth. Keep in mind I'm pregnant with twins at that! The rifle simply doesn't kick

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pick up a 5.45 when funds come available, convert it, and let her try it. If she complains too much about the kick, I'll try the buffer.

I will tell you this- EVERYTHING that I have read here about Promags is true. They are complete shit. I got two for range use, and as backups, and the "tab" (bullet guide?) at the top front broke off almost immediately. I found that out on round 2 of the first mag with a fail to feed (Marion's first, and hopefully last) with Wolf 75gr HP ammo. (By the way, that stuff is NASTY accurate at 100yds through her. More so than 45, 55, or 62gr...Wonder why that is?) The round slamming against the bottom of the chamber caused it to compress into the casing, so I threw that out, and almost threw the mag away right there at the range. Moral of the story: Promags are complete shit that I will badmouth relentlessly until proven otherwise. Too bad I don't give second chances to those that mess with my babies, and Marion counts as my baby...

I had similar luck with a ProMag magazine for a Hi Point carbine I had. I don't know how they live with themselves, putting out utter crap as a product. I'd be ashamed to show up for work if I was them.

Be careful though, she may become a better shooter than you! (hehe)

That would be a welcome "problem" to have.

:-)

Jim