What is the best AK-47 to get?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best AK-47 to get?

• Vepr
    • SAR-1
    • WASR-10
    • Mak-90
    • Other

WASR 10 ranked higher than SAR 1? What am I missing here....... I thought the SAR would be at least second behind the vepr. Can anyone help inform me why? I'm curious. TIA.

This thread is 3 years old. Good luck.

//continues to feed the Zombie thread//

• 5 months later...

AHHH. Necro thread from hell. This "throwback" stuff is kind of funny; you folks sure loved that Century shit back in 05'. Putting up a SAR and a WASR, while leaving out IMI Galil and Bulgarian milled. And this guy wanted to by a Vepr because ARs and FALs are too expensive! Classic!

• 4 months later...
AHHH. Necro thread from hell. This "throwback" stuff is kind of funny; you folks sure loved that Century shit back in 05'. Putting up a SAR and a WASR, while leaving out IMI Galil and Bulgarian milled. And this guy wanted to by a Vepr because ARs and FALs are too expensive! Classic!

. . . evidently, there's quite a few necrophiliacs among us.

Mods, can we close these zombie polls?

This one is 4 years out of date.

Agreed w/ Nalioth. This thread has returned from the dead.

A "good" AK is one that's assembled well. That means no egged holes, straight sights and gas block, properly fitted trigger group, and decent finish and furniture. The bolt should headspace properly and the barrel should have plenty of life left in it, with a clean crown. I've seen WASRs that pass the above requirements with flying colors, and I've seen Arsenals that look like they were built by a drunk gorilla with a sledgehammer.

Just get one that runs right and hasn't been mangled, and it will be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Mods, can we please close this thread?

Due to the vagaries of the marketing system, it is no longer relevant.

It also seems that dozens of thread necrophiliacs don't seem to remember that this is a discussion forum.

I.E. when a poll is placed, it is expected that one reads the original post, makes their poll selection and adds to the discussion as to "why they chose their particular option"

IMHO, anyone who ticks a poll selection and doesn't add to the discussion is a anonymous coward.

Edited to add: The OP's last post was in April 2005. I really don't think s/he's interested in it any more.

Edited by nalioth

Any manufacturer can make a gem or a steaming pile of shit. I've seen individual Romanian weapons that came straight from the factory flawless. I've also handled a few that wouldn't hand cycle because the bolt would slip up out of its channel when pulled to the rear, and get stuck behind the rail (these examples were both of the 7.62x54R "dragunov" variety).

I've also handled a dealer-sample Galil that looked like it could just as well have been made at Izhmash during happy hour.

That being said, 99% or so of the few hundred AKs I've had a chance to handle had anything from "good enough" to remarkable fit and finish. Of the roughly two dozen I've fired, none had issues cycling any sort of ammunition.

Different factories have different quality control and manufacturing procedures, but all of your mass-producers are going to occasionally produce a lemon.

If you want an extremely good weapon, take any AK to a qualified gunsmith with experience in that platform, and it can be made so.

If you want a flawless machine, call Tony Rumore and wait a few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Mods, can we please close this poll?

it's 4 years old and the markets have evolved so that there is only one choice on the poll.

This poll has outlasted it's utility (by years).

It wouldn't be so bad if every time some anonymous coward clicked a button, it didn't bump it to the top, but it does.

Again, can we close this useless poll?

At least disable the poll part?

Thanks