question on factory rivets?

instead of the other methods known for rivet removal. has anyone ever tried beating the rivets from the opposite side instead of the standard ways? just curious. i'm not going to take mine apart just to test the idea. it just looks possible. well i should take out my sack of old parts to study them before i post but to late.

instead of the other methods known for rivet removal. has anyone ever tried beating the rivets from the opposite side instead of the standard ways? just curious. i'm not going to take mine apart just to test the idea. it just looks possible. well i should take out my sack of old parts to study them before i post but to late.

If you are talking about the trigger plate rivets, I would say no. I finally got mine removed last night, and, having looked at their remains, it seems like it would not be a good idea to beat on them from inside the receiver.

I don't think its a good idea to beat on them period.

Mill or carefully drill them out.

The only rivet I've had to give a lot of force to get out is the one rivet in the rear trunnion that goes across the entire width of the receiver.

Even then, lots of drilling, less banging...

The rest of the rivets knock out easily after milling/drilling the heads off.

i chose the wrong wording i mean the original fcg pins that have to be drilled,dremeled,or cold chiseled. i wonder if you could just punch them from the other side? sorry....

Realistically, I don't think so. Why risk damaging your receiver when 2 minutes of drilling will have them out?

i've converted 2 guns doing it with a dremel its turned out perfect both times just wondered if any ones tried it. i never have taken a good look at the pins time to pull um out, probably will answer my own questions.

I for one wouldn't want to distort my receiver by beating on it.

me either, just wondered if any one has tried it with any success. i should have posted this idea in the s12 section because of higher traffic. in retrospect when i was removing the bottom plate on the 7.62 the ground off rivets were still in the receiver. even with the plate gone. naturally i had to to punch them out. i had to strike the rear most rivet so hard the receiver dented in. i wasn't really concerned until after i put my but stock on then tried to remove it for fitting. well, it pulled the dent right out, but i still haven't been able to get the but stock off. i beat the %$#@ out off it without so much as a budge.

That's why I ground the inside, the rivets where then stuck to the plate and it was easier for me to pound that than my receiver.

yeah, i like that idea i just wouldn't want to grind on my receiver. my s12 did not have this problem so i couldn't foresee the issue.

That's why I ground the inside, the rivets where then stuck to the plate and it was easier for me to pound that than my receiver.

yeah, i like that idea i just wouldn't want to grind on my receiver. my s12 did not have this problem so i couldn't foresee the issue.

Grinding on the inside of the receiver seems to be the lesser of two evils. At least no one will see it if you slip, which I did a few times.