First post...I'm hooked....stock question...

I cant get my eyes off this site.... Started the other day looking for info on a M1A and ended up here....I have now decided i want a .223, since i have a ton of ammo for my Bushy....

Finally found a shop with 1 saiga it was a 308. I shouldered it and felt pretty small to me. I have been doing my reasearch on the compliance laws, and trying to figure out how i wanna build this gun...

I really like the Dragunov style stock with adj cheek piece...The composite skeletonized type....Is this a good choice for taller shooters?

Also when searching the net for parts, do they have to be specific for a saiga or if listed for a AK47 will fit...Like...

Choate Dragunov stock...?

And being in NJ i need to have a non-collasible stock...

Dam!!! I have a million questions!!!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

Yep...sounds like you have caught the Saiga bug alright...lol. Have fun with it! There's more info about them here than you can process quickly so take your time.

Yes, anything that will work with a stamped receiver AK, will work, or can be made to work with a Saiga. That Choate stock will work nicely with the .308 and comes with optional shims for different LOP.

I cant get my eyes off this site.... Started the other day looking for info on a M1A and ended up here....I have now decided i want a .223, since i have a ton of ammo for my Bushy....

Finally found a shop with 1 saiga it was a 308. I shouldered it and felt pretty small to me. I have been doing my reasearch on the compliance laws, and trying to figure out how i wanna build this gun...

I really like the Dragunov style stock with adj cheek piece...The composite skeletonized type....Is this a good choice for taller shooters?

Also when searching the net for parts, do they have to be specific for a saiga or if listed for a AK47 will fit...Like...

Welcome aboard. The .308 is a nice weapon. Here in NY my mag capacity is limited as well. As I look back at my decision I think I would have gone with the .308 myself. I'd rather 10 rounds of .308 to .223....looks like I'll be making another purchase soon.

Also look at the conversion posts....it's sooooo easy and really adds to the weapon.

Welcome aboard!

Yep...sounds like you have caught the Saiga bug alright...lol. Have fun with it! There's more info about them here than you can process quickly so take your time.

Yes, anything that will work with a stamped receiver AK, will work, or can be made to work with a Saiga. That Choate stock will work nicely with the .308 and comes with optional shims for different LOP.

Corba...You seem to know a thing or 2 with 12,000 plus posts...LOL

I held the 308, but wanna get the 223...Ok great so that stock will work!

• Like 1

I don't know if you've read about it or not, but keep in mind if you use the Choate stock, you'll need to replace and relocate the trigger group, which is what I would recommend. There's tons of information on here regarding the subject, and if you end up with the .308, its a really simple procedure.

Otherwise, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, the Saiga skeleton stock with the cheek piece will bolt right up with no modifications. I ran my .308 with that stock for a while, but I really didn't like the way it shot, as the factory trigger pull more upward, as opposed to straight back, like the converted trigger.

I don't know if you've read about it or not, but keep in mind if you use the Choate stock, you'll need to replace and relocate the trigger group, which is what I would recommend. There's tons of information on here regarding the subject, and if you end up with the .308, its a really simple procedure.

Otherwise, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, the Saiga skeleton stock with the cheek piece will bolt right up with no modifications. I ran my .308 with that stock for a while, but I really didn't like the way it shot, as the factory trigger pull more upward, as opposed to straight back, like the converted trigger.

Yes from what i've been reading here, i will relocate the trigger group....

I actually cant wait to do my own conversion....I'm a welder/fabricator and do this stuff all day at work. Not gun stuff, but crazy pharmacutical SS projects...From 20ga to .500" plate...All TIG/MIG...Its amazing to me to see someone using a hand file to remove rivits...I mean use whats avaliable to you but my god thats alot of work!!

Thanks for the welcome guys...You will be seeing alot of me here soon....I'm also very skilled at the SEARCH feature....LOL

• Like 1

I have a Dragunov style skeleton stock (ATI). I'm 6'3" and this stock feels good. I ordered the recoil pad ,adds an Inch, but as is the stock feels good. The trigger length is the same as all my shot guns. The cheek rest on this stock works for iron sites but when adding a scope or such it's to low. More of a chin rest.

I actually cant wait to do my own conversion....I'm a welder/fabricator and do this stuff all day at work. Not gun stuff, but crazy pharmacutical SS projects...From 20ga to .500" plate...All TIG/MIG...Its amazing to me to see someone using a hand file to remove rivits...I mean use whats avaliable to you but my god thats alot of work!!

Thanks for the welcome guys...You will be seeing alot of me here soon....I'm also very skilled at the SEARCH feature....LOL

Right on. Sounds like you've got it figured out. If you're the least bit handy, there's nothing to it, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Right on. Sounds like you've got it figured out. If you're the least bit handy, there's nothing to it, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Hardest part so far is decideing which way to go with a build...Home defense is the way on this gun i think for me...I'm so anal on this i now have been printing pics of members guns along with there build info....

Just an FYI....My wife already hates this forum!!! LOL...... :super:

Hardest part so far is decideing which way to go with a build...Home defense is the way on this gun i think for me...I'm so anal on this i now have been printing pics of members guns along with there build info....

Welcome to the forum!

Come down to VA, we love guns! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Come down to VA, we love guns! :)

I love my state, but gun control sucks here.....I made the mistake of buying my Bushy off gunbroker and for some reason i misread the ad and it had a threaded barrel with a FS..(was lookin at so many at the time) Well came to my FFL and he freaked! He let me take the upper to work and pin on a muzzle brake thats NJ compliant..Took 15min but it all worked out...

Welcome to the forum Superbee! You'll prolly own at least one of each within the next couple of years, as they are truly an addiction!! As far as the million questions, there are MORE than a million answers on this forum, for here, there are MANY that reallt know their stuff on the Saigas!

Edited by unclejake

Welcome to the forum Superbee! You'll prolly own at least one of each within the next couple of years, as they are truly an addiction!! As far as the million questions, there are MORE than a million answers on this forum, for here, there are MANY that reallt know their stuff on the Saigas!

Hey thanks.....I'm getting my list together of conversion items now...