While looking through the website for Mississippi Auto Arms I found 2 different "bolt-on" trigger guards for conversion. The Tromix guard which seems to be the standard, and now something from a company called "E-Tac". Is there a functional difference between these two parts, or do they perform their job equally well?

I have been planning on using the Tromix DIY guard, but my real concern has been how "solid" the pistol grip mounting would be with a PG Nut that's part of the trigger guard. From a functional standpoint would it just be better to cut the holes and use a standards nut? That said, does anyone have a template of some sort that can be used to lay out the exact location to cut the reciever for the PG Nut?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you

The Tromix trigger guard has a 1/16" steel backbone with the pistol grip thread block welded to it.

This 'backbone' bolts to the receiver with 3 bolts.

I honestly don't think you're gonna have any issues with it (Tromix doesn't make sissy-grade stuff).

If you go this route, make sure you're okay with using the Tapco Saw grip, as that's the only grip the Tromix all-in-one is designed to work with.

Edited by nalioth

Have looked at both and use the Tromix guard on some of my builds. The engineering is excellent, and installation is fast and trouble free. I haven't used E-Tac's, so I can't give you any guidance there.

WS

Well I have and use both one on each of my s-12,s they are both very sturdy and well built there are some pro,s and cons depending on what you like the Tromix is very easy to install and has a safty catch the only thing i some what dislike about it is that the welded thread insert where the bolt screws into is some what visable but its not that big of a deal still use it the Etac is very sturdy and clean cut its a heavy duty chunk of metal hehe but unlike the Tromix there is some drilling you have to do the Tromix makes a turn at the point of the mag release and comes back towards the trigger hold to line up for the bolt to go threw the Etac being one big solid peice of metal it cant do that so you have to drill a hole under the hammer to put the bolt threw it so if you are scared of drilling a hold dont chose it but if you like the look and feel have at it I like them both and keep them both on my guns the outher thing the Etac does not have is a safty stop so if that is a big concern go with the Tromix like the look of both and the function of both A+

Well I have and use both one on each of my s-12,s they are both very sturdy and well built there are some pro,s and cons depending on what you like the Tromix is very easy to install and has a safty catch the only thing i some what dislike about it is that the welded thread insert where the bolt screws into is some what visable but its not that big of a deal still use it the Etac is very sturdy and clean cut its a heavy duty chunk of metal hehe but unlike the Tromix there is some drilling you have to do the Tromix makes a turn at the point of the mag release and comes back towards the trigger hold to line up for the bolt to go threw the Etac being one big solid peice of metal it cant do that so you have to drill a hole under the hammer to put the bolt threw it so if you are scared of drilling a hold dont chose it but if you like the look and feel have at it I like them both and keep them both on my guns the outher thing the Etac does not have is a safty stop so if that is a big concern go with the Tromix like the look of both and the function of both A+

Thanks to Bigcec1 for the in depth report and agee they are both A+ products but here's my two cents. Agree they are both excellent but totally different. The Tromix one is stamped metal and does have a safety stop. The ETAC one is MUCH beefier and is designed to stabilize the receiver as well as "guard" the trigger. With the ETAC you can use the original factory safety stop if you DIY. On ETAC's own factory conversion they solve both problem by adding a safety stop pin which is a very nice touch. With ETAC's there is no question that the pistol grip nut will be perfect as the part is one piece billet.

There is also the matter of style which is personal preference. I personally like bigger and beefier like the ETAC but some like the more original factory look and they should go with Tromix. My advice, if you are afraid of drilling your receiver, you probably shouldnt be doing your own conversion.

If you go this route, make sure you're okay with using the Tapco Saw grip, as that's the only grip the Tromix all-in-one is designed to work with.

Not true at all, I use a Ergo AK classic with the rubberized texture, fits fine with no modifications. And you can "fit "others to it also, but those you may have to modify to clear base plate, not to hard with a steady hand and a Dremel.

HUZZAH!!!

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu140/Gothmog1960/Saiga%2012%20Modified%20images/2009_09240039.jpg

Edited by Gothmog