saiga12 in the movie "Gamer"?

Just saw the movie Zombieland.

They really need a S-12, because the kid's double barrel simply did not hold enough ammo.

He did kill Bill Murray though.

Funny movie.

Sure did use a lot of Shotguns in that movie

Edited by jtp

Yeah, nice spoiler indeed.

Dude that movie just came out!! :angry2: Most of us here haven't seen it yet!

I knew that Bill Murray had a cameo in it, but I didn't know that he was a zombie that the kid killed. Thanks for ruining that bit for me, (completely unnecessarily, this thread isn't even about Zombieland).

Damn it...

As for the OP, yeah there's a S-12 in The Gamer. That flick's a rental at best, imo.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I knew that Bill Murray had a cameo in it, but I didn't know that he was a zombie that the kid killed. Thanks for ruining that bit for me, (completely unnecessarily, this thread isn't even about Zombieland).

Damn it...

As for the OP, yeah there's a S-12 in The Gamer. That flick's a rental at best, imo.

You know, its cool its in a movie, but I'd rather it not be, it doesn't need more publicity.

By the way, with the whole bill murray thing, dont worry, you've barely scratched the surface by just saying he got shot, theres a lot more story to be had there. See the movie, it was great.

Damn it...

Don't worry I did not spoil it, I would not do that.

It is more like teasing you, because you will laugh your ass off.

I have not gone to a cinema movie for years, but I would pay admission to watch this again.

Actually it is a very realistic zombie movie as zombie movies go, but gut busting funny too.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread (hell you all may have covered this somewhere else in here...I did use the search function), anyway I was watching the extra features on the Gamer DVD and they had a nice little overview of the bad guys S12. The guy made some sarcastic remark about it being a short barrel full auto Russian AK 12 gauge shotgun that was modified in California.

I live in the sticks and haven't gone to a movie theater in decades so I don't see the premier movies till I get the little red envelope in the mail.

Worth a look if your checking out the DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

i just watched gamer, and the s12 in it sounds like a FA rifle when fired. :(

HA HA! That's my fault. I cut all the guns, fight, and explosion sound effects in Gamer. I didn't know about the S12 until after I had already finished the film.

My bad!!!!

Sfx

HA HA! That's my fault. I cut all the guns, fight, and explosion sound effects in Gamer. I didn't know about the S12 until after I had already finished the film.

My bad!!!!

Sfx

april fools was yesterday. you for real?

My bad!!!!

Sfx

april fools was yesterday. you for real?

Yes, for real. PM incoming

speaking of seeing s 12s in movies... anyone see the trailer for "The Expendables?" I could've sworn i caught a glimpse of a s 12 with an md20.

You guys are going to think I'm full of crap, but I worked on Crank 2 and the Expendables too. I didn't cut the S12 AA12 on the Expendables though. I cut a lot of the other guns and explos and whatnot, but not that gun.

Seriously, I shit you not.

Edited by SoundFX

speaking of seeing s 12s in movies... anyone see the trailer for "The Expendables?" I could've sworn i caught a glimpse of a s 12 with an md20.

Nope, according to IMFDB its an AA12.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Expendables%2C_The

-EnzNow

It is an AA12 I think. The character who uses it is not in the reels that I cut, so I never really got to see it. But yeah, it's not a Saiga. My friend did that gun, and it sounded killer during the temp dub. Sly is really picky. I'm not sure how it will sound in the end, but it was pretty slammin' for the temp.

Cinema guns sound the way they sound because real guns don't sound as cool as you would think they would. In Gamer, or any of these films, we usually have at least six or seven layers going. One or two of them just mechanical. The rest can be real guns (though rarely are they the gun on screen) or what we call sweeteners. That can mean anything. If I wouldn't lose my job by doing it, I'd post some screenshots.

Edited by SoundFX

I learned about S12's about a month before I saw Gamer so I freaked. Its sounds made me sad. Sounded more authentic when they were at the range. Was he firing real rounds down range for that? Can't believe they used a Saiga 12 though. Even being fairly knowledgable with firearms, but I was shocked when I found out about them too. Never seen them in movies at all until now.

I learned about S12's about a month before I saw Gamer so I freaked. Its sounds made me sad. Sounded more authentic when they were at the range. Was he firing real rounds down range for that? Can't believe they used a Saiga 12 though. Even being fairly knowledgable with firearms, but I was shocked when I found out about them too. Never seen them in movies at all until now.

Yeah, I'm truly sorry about messing that up. I did try to match the rate of fire when it was visible, but it was weird a lot of the time because the muzzle flashes are almost always added later in visual fx. That happened a ton on Gamer. I'd finish a scene, then I'd get a new cut of picture a day later and the muzzle flashes would be totally different. These things are works-in-progress from start to finish.

No, they never use live rounds on set. At least, I've never heard of it. They use blanks of varying strengths. There's a person on set called an armorer, and they work with the director, stunt people, actors and everybody to teach them how to use the weapons safely and how to "do it right" so that they don't look retarded during filming. They are also the folks who choose what loads to use. They tend to use the lightest loads that they can, but with full-autos and semi-autos they need to be strong enough to reliably cycle the gun. So, it depends. Sometimes they really want realistic recoil too, and so there really is no set formula.

The thing that is really funny is how a gun sounds to your ears in real life is VERY different to how microphones hear them. Microphones are very literal. Your ears have natural compressors built into them to tame the transient peaks of loud sounds. If you abuse them enough, you'll get tinnitus or go deaf, but there are natural safeguards. Not so with microphones. Most recordings need to be layered and have their dynamics processed to "sound like movie guns". I'm using all kinds of things even for simple guns. There are some exceptions, but generally that's how it's done. Some directors insist on very bare and realistic guns. They like the fact that it sounds realistic, and un-Hollywood. But, most people just don't know. They insist on things like hammer cocks when someone points a Glock..... How many times have you heard a hammer cock when the person is shooting a gun without an external hammer? Lots of times.... Sometimes I just sigh and put it in. It's not worth the fight, because most of the time they don't care about reality.

Hope that explains it a little.

fascinating stuff SoundFX, sounds like you have a pretty cool job!

how did you come across our little forum here? are you into guns?

Oh yeah! I'm just new to the Saiga shotguns. I got back into guns as a hobby to take my mind off of work stuff back in 2004 or so. I grew up with guns, but the bug bit hard again several years ago.

I'm building my own AK's from kits now, and really enjoying that. I have a few CA-legal AR's too (Noveske middy uppers and LMT defender lowers). I'm a big Glock fan. Owned lots of other pistols and am basically down to several Glock 9mm's.

I'm on a lot of gun forums. Sniper's Hide, AK forum, Ak Files. I don't post that much, but I'm a member.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of converting some Saiga 12's. That's why I'm here, to do research and see what other folks are talking about in regard to the 12's.

Seems like a nice place!

-Sfx

• 5 months later...

Hope this doesn't count as a necropost....

Finally converted one of my own. Sorry again for not getting the sound right, the real thing is pretty different from what I imagined. Gonna hit the desert with a recorder and get it right if it ever comes up again. Really liking this forum. :super:

dsc6510c.jpg

dsc08635y.jpg