3 Dumb S-12 Questions

I just received my 22" S-12 and have a few questions about it

1: My cover is really tight, I have to pry it off with a flat tip screwdriver. Is this normal?

It is so tight I have a really difficult time getting this back together so I need to know if this isn't normal if I should try to fix it or send it in for warranty check.

2: The Release for my cover has an additional button on top of the normal release. I have to push it to get the release to go inside of the hole in the back of the cover. My 7.62 doesn't have this. Is it normal? Do I need it?

3: only 2 rounds will go into my mag. Is there a plug? If there is how do I remove it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

1. Mines comes off without a tool, but every gun is different.

2. Yes, normal.

3. No experience here, but sounds like you have a Kommiefornia mag. Maybe try taking the mag apart and checking for a plug or something.

3. it sounds like the mag is set up for hunting, California S12 owners use a bullet button or like device which requires a screwdriver to release the magazine..

The Mag may be a little harder to take apart since there is a spacer that is adding some spring tension. To remover the bottom plate push in the small "button" and slide the bottom plate off

bottomplateremoval.jpg

Hey Boba.

I suspect the cover may loosen up a little with use, but it's better to have it be a little tight than too loose and risk it popping off on the front. The cover on my Saiga 12 is rather loose, by the way. I've considered ataching a strip of metal on the back to tighten it up, but I doubt it's really required. If I had a ciover mounted scope rail, then perhaps it would be more of an issue. But I don't.

Not sure why the Shotguns have the extra little button on the cover latch. I suppose it can't hurt anything though.

I agree with Camon and Presto on the mag. You probably either have a restricted capacity due to it being a "CA mag" or a waterfoul hunting mag. Should be pretty easy to fix once you open it up and see what's going on in there.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any difficulty or concerns.

Corbin

• Like 1

Ok

I was able to take the mag apart. I originally pushed on that button but it didn't want to move so I posted here instead of tearing something up. After I read the Presto's post I got more aggressive with the button. It kind of popped so it was either really tight, or glued in some way. There was a spacer in it, now that I removed it, the mag will take 5 rounds.

Now onto another stupid question.

How do you know what number the gas knob is set to??

Is it the number closest to the pin you have to depress for making adjustments?

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

I had the same problem with my factory five round magazine and the same question with that stupid button.

I'm tempted to try and drill out that little pin that holds the button and remove it, that button gets in my way of putting the dust cover back on. Can't see it hurting anything if its removed, the cover never touchs it when its on, and I doubt it will do much to stop the cover from flying off if the gun happens to explode in your hands.

The shotguns have the added button ontop of the dust cover release due to the shock that happens during recoil and the cover possably poping off along with the recoil rod coming at you posably towards your eye a friend got the idea of cutting his off and shooting it and the dust cover poped off and rod came out and cut his cheek so yours may not do this if you take it of but why risk it ? Its not that agravating don't have any problems getting my cover on or off

I had the same problem with my factory five round magazine and the same question with that stupid button.

I'm tempted to try and drill out that little pin that holds the button and remove it, that button gets in my way of putting the dust cover back on. Can't see it hurting anything if its removed, the cover never touchs it when its on, and I doubt it will do much to stop the cover from flying off if the gun happens to explode in your hands.

DO NOT DO THIS. I just had a warranty email come in not a week ago, where someone had a brand new gun, and the button came out of the recoil spring assy. Well, to make a long story short, that button is there for a reason. It keeps the dust cover on the gun during recoil. DO NOT REMOVE THE BUTTON.

If you are having an issue getting your dust cover back on, put the gun muzzle down to the floor, insert the front of the dust cover into the notch in the front trunion, with your left hand, palm down on the top of the dust cover, and while pressing down and forward into that notch, give it a smack with your right hand palm on the rear upper coerner of the dust cover. It goes right on.