Georgia State Law on AK's in vehicles?

Was reading a similar thread on another board and it started me thinking. I am a resident of Georgia, and I know we have several Georgia law enforcement officers on the board here.

Just what is legal in regards to having a long rifle your vehicle? I am thinking of getting a AK folder, and would like to keep it cased and out of sight in the Jeep, but loaded of course for any potential social problem that might arise.

Would this be legal in Ga.? Can't see keeping an AK in sight, as that would encourage "urban outdoorsmen" to potentially smash a window and arm themselves with something they have no business having.

Can Azrial or Georgia PD or any other Georgia peace officer here enlighten me as to our states law on this?

JP,

You are good to go on this one. As of July 01, 2008 and the new laws that were passed about concealed carry and such in the state, it is no longer illegal to conceal any legally purchased gun ANYWHERE in a vehicle. So, in short, you can carry your rifle in the vehicle. Just be careful as the only thing between your firearm and a thief is a piece of glass.

• Like 1

Thanks Ga. PD and also all who responded! I was sure a loaded pistol in a glove box or elsewhere was no problem, wasn't to sure about an AK. Not planning on leaving it long term in the vehicle, but it's nice to know that whenever I have to travel to those "special" communities in our great state I can bring along something just in case...

Is it a canvas covered Jeep? One gun owner I met had an open Jeep Wrangler. He had a steel box welded in the back for his long firearms.

+1

The steel box can also help you avoid a nasty headache if you roll the jeep 4Xing & your tools start flying around.

Is it a canvas covered Jeep? One gun owner I met had an open Jeep Wrangler. He had a steel box welded in the back for his long firearms.

There is no need to weld it in. Four 1/4" carriage bolts with the nuts on the inside of the case would hold it and you could take it out as needed.

Good to know as I'm in Woodstock, Acworth and Marietta and own a couple of folders. For the car I was considering a Draco pistol from J+G.

Ha! I'm from Acworth Thunderchild, and work in Kennesaw.

Guys my Jeep isn't a canvas top, it's a Grand Cherokee. I was thinking perhaps I could stash the rifle under the back seat somehow or maybe in the spare tire compartment behind the back seat. Probably would be a lot quicker to get to under the seat though, as I would need to go all the way aaround to the rear of the vehicle and pop the hatch to get to the spare compartment.

I'll figure something out.... ;)