one of the world's worst arms dealers is going to be let go

The way I see it... he supplies arms to the underdogs... The radicals.... the revolutionaries...

One never knows... He may be a good man to have around some day in the future... :unsure:

some underdogs someplace might need the services of a person with connections like his...

:smoke:

I have a "Free Vicktor Bout" bumper sticker on one of my rifle cases. If, and its a big if, he did really break the law, and not simply run a cargo company, as he said he did, he doesnt deserve to be singled out that way. Even the authors of the book about him, that gave him the moniker admit that very little of what they accused him of in the book was actually illegal.

The selling arms to FARC was a lie, part of a DEA sting operation, where people pretending, may have alleged they had some Columbian connection, and wanted to contract his services. Then again, they might also have alleged they were DEA, and that might explain his willingness to help, as he has longstanding US government history. The sale of arms shipped on his planes to afghanistan have been linked to a possible CIA shipment, and in fact, one of the last big contracts he had, was to fly materials into iraq, for the Pentagon. Previously, he had worked for several other governments, from russia, france, to the UN, itself, who's sanctions he is so often accused of busting. Shortly after september 11, 2001, he contacted both the CIA and the FBI personally, offering to help turn his business contacts in afghanistan, but instead found himself on essentially the same target list as UBL.

Even if what he did was illegal, it wasnt anymore illegal than what governments all over the planet do on a daily basis. Like Cage said in the movie:

The reason I'll be released is the same reason you think I'll be convicted. I do rub shoulders with some of the most vile, sadistic men calling themselves leaders today. But some of those men are the enemies of your enemies. And while the biggest arms dealer in the world is your boss, the President of the United States, who ships more merchandise in a day than I do in a year... sometimes it's embarrassing to have his fingerprints on the guns. Sometimes he needs a freelancer like me to supply forces he can't be seen supplying. So... you call me evil. But unfortunately for you, I'm a necessary evil.

Of course, in that movie, they didnt let on that more often than not, they had the same boss, and that he wasnt really freelancing at all.