Promag 545 mags?

So I've been curious about picking up a 545 Saiga for a while now and I need some information on mags before I commit. My father and I share this account, but right now, I'm the younger one. I'm a freshman in college and I want to own a gun, not to have at school but to work on at home for a hobby, and to me, AK's are simple and hard to screw up, not to mention boast a plethora of bits and pieces I can play with. One day I hope to have eventually get the rifle to the point where I like it.

However I have a couple of questions about magazines. I've seen some Promag brand mags that look pretty good, but I had one of their 10/22 drums and it was total shit. However, I've heard this is an isolated shitty product (an ISP) of theirs and was wondering A. how the quality of promag products are in general and B. how this particular mag is and C. if it will fit into an unmodded 545 Saiga.

The mags in question are these: http://www.triggeraction.com/TA/promag-ak74-545x39-30rd-poly-blk-p-5991.html

Fourth question is has anyone ever ordered from these guys? Their prices are great but I'm wary of ordering from them as they seem somewhat shady... there's always one review on their site that says the customer was wary of ordering from them and i think it might be fake. Still 13$ for a magazine is pretty damn good as far as I can tell... the only 545 mags I've seen around where I'm from are Bulgy surplus at the local gun store and they run 20$ a piece, which is IMO too much for this college student to pay.

Thanks in advance for the help y'all.

Personally I avoid all US made rifle caliber mags for AK's. You'll get more than enough mileage out of tried and true surplus polymer or bakelight mags, or polish steel mags.

Take your time and scrounge for good deals out there and you'll be able to get a decent range of mags in the same price range as the Promag.

To be fair I've never used or owned Promags but I have never heard one good thing about their AK mags on any forum I've visited or anyone I know that has them in person.

Z

However, I've heard this is an isolated shitty product (an ISP) of theirs and was wondering A. how the quality of promag products are in general and

Not isolated at all.

Please do a search (here's a freebie) for "ProMag" on any firearms forum. You'll find that they suck across their product line.

• Like 1

However, I've heard this is an isolated shitty product (an ISP) of theirs and was wondering A. how the quality of promag products are in general and

Not isolated at all.

Please do a search (here's a freebie) for "ProMag" on any firearms forum. You'll find that they suck across their product line.

Nalioth and TX-Zen are correct. Stay away from Promags ("the Mags the Pros don't use"). You can find Commie surplus mags for $12 in 5.45x39 right now. Feel free to PM me if you want some links of good places to buy. And Welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

Okay that's pretty much what i figured; So far as I've seem, the promags have been very finicky and jam quite a lot... at least on my 10/22 drum. I've heard similar things with promag .223 mags but I've also heard from trusted sources that promag magazines are quite good so I figured I'd ask some real people.

There is a place nearby that sells used beat up bakelites but they cost a heck of a lot more than the cheapo promag ones.. but then again, i suppose there's a reason for that. I've always wondered why the commie mags were so much more expensive but I guess they're in demand because they just work.

I think the commie mags are cool looking as well; I've always kinda been into AK 74's more than 47's because I just don't like the look of '47 mags sticking awkwardly out of the gun. How's the weight/carryability of the older bakelite mags? Do they fit into pouches well and extract easy?

• 2 weeks later...