Hungarian milled AK-55

Had the parts kit (these AK's were made from 1959-62) for a while, then DPH brought out their milled receivers and couldn't resist. Couple unusual aspects--no bayo lug on the originals, and rear sling swivel on the receiver itself. Finish is satin blued, and bolt/carrier were polished, like the original. Sling is also original.

IMG_9136.jpg IMG_9134.jpg

IMG_9135.jpg IMG_9133.jpg

Took a lot of time and effort to clean up the wood, have the pistol grip recheckered, and get the deep machining marks out of the receiver with a file, sandpaper, and a polishing wheel, but think it was worth it.

Took a lot of time and effort to clean up the wood, have the pistol grip recheckered, and get the deep machining marks out of the receiver with a file, sandpaper, and a polishing wheel, but think it was worth it.

Ah, now it's clear why she looks so damn perfect.

Fantastic job, as Fluid Power said, that rifle would look at home in a museum! :up:

Doc... I got an extra type 1 should you need...

bayonet_ak47.jpg

Hungarian type 1 is different from Bulgy/Russian. Hungarian type 1 is like most countries early pattern 2.

EDIT: Check out this page: http://www.ak47bayonets.com/AK47_Bayonet_Hungry.php

This is what a type one hungarian looks like (or see my picture in the post above):

00-7-15-06-023.jpg

Edited by bigsal

This very original kit has no provision for an attached bayonet. Info is verified in the book 'The Grim Reaper', quite authoritative. They must have had a belt-attached version at the time.

Thats interesting, I have seen stamped Hungarian units with the type 1 bayo lug, Maybe they were newer units, or second gen akm's, or maybe I am mis-remembering. Whats the date on your kit?

Edit: The units ive seen were AKM-63's

Edited by bigsal

Received the bayo from Juggernaut today (Thank You!) and it does indeed attach to the muzzle area with the butt of the bayonet resting around the gas block and a spring loaded attachment to the FSB at about the end of the cleaning rod. Dunno what year the kit is but would only have been within a few year range--think I said between '59 and '62.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, however, I currently have an AK55 parts kit with barrel and need some advice.

Is there a market for this parts kit or should I build it into a working rifle? I've had the kit for 12 years and have no money tied up in it. It will require a milled receiver and they are expensive.

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

OJW

I realize this is an old thread, however, I currently have an AK55 parts kit with barrel and need some advice.

Is there a market for this parts kit or should I build it into a working rifle? I've had the kit for 12 years and have no money tied up in it. It will require a milled receiver and they are expensive.

OJW

The receiver was about $289, and after assembly you'll have a $700-800+ better than average AK. It's your choice.

OJW

The receiver was about $289, and after assembly you'll have a $700-800+ better than average AK. It's your choice.

Thanks so much for the reply. Where is the best place to get a milled receiver?

OJW

OJW

Thanks so much for the reply. Where is the best place to get a milled receiver?

OJW

Got mine from DPH. Been a while so don't know who might have them available now.