duplicolor vs barbeque paint

I need to paint the bottom of the receiver. I've narrowed it down to either Duplicolor or Barbeque grill paint. Honestly, I want to pick whichever is easier. Can someone please post the basic procedure for each, including preparation steps?

Thanks.

Jim

I need to paint the bottom of the receiver. I've narrowed it down to either Duplicolor or Barbeque grill paint. Honestly, I want to pick whichever is easier. Can someone please post the basic procedure for each, including preparation steps?

Thanks.

Jim

...here we go again...

just paint the whole thing! its gonna look shitty with 2 different paints and finishes on it...

Thanks.

Jim

...here we go again...

just paint the whole thing! its gonna look shitty with 2 different paints and finishes on it...

Not that much of the bottom of the receiver is visible anyhow. But if it looks crappy that way, I'll go ahead and do the rest.

So which do you prefer, duplicolor or barbeque (or other)?

Can anyone give me the basic procedure for one or the other of these?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Jim

...here we go again...

Not that much of the bottom of the receiver is visible anyhow. But if it looks crappy that way, I'll go ahead and do the rest.

So which do you prefer, duplicolor or barbeque (or other)?

Can anyone give me the basic procedure for one or the other of these?

Thanks.

I used Duplicolor high heat engine paint in flat black. I lightly sanded the bottom of the receiver, then degreased it with Gun Scrubber...then painted it. Only problem is when I was cleaning it about a month later, the paint started rubbing off because some of the Gun Scrubber got onto the painted bottom.

I used Duplicolor high heat engine paint in flat black. I lightly sanded the bottom of the receiver, then degreased it with Gun Scrubber...then painted it. Only problem is when I was cleaning it about a month later, the paint started rubbing off because some of the Gun Scrubber got onto the painted bottom.

Thanks for the info.

How is the paint applied? Is it a spray, like Duracoat, or something else?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

How is the paint applied? Is it a spray, like Duracoat, or something else?

Thanks.

If you're asking about the Duplicolor, then yes...it is a simple can of spray paint. Use blue painters tape to cover what you dont want painted or affected by overspray. Hold the weapon up vertically with a wire coat hanger so you dont have to tilt the spray can. Lightly spray in a side to side motion about 8-10" from the surface keeping the can the same distance from the part being painted...in other words, dont arc your arm, just turn your wrist as you move your arm from side to side like it is on a rail. Start spraying a few inches to the side of the weapon and sweep across...dont start painting directly on the gun...and dont try to cover it in one coat. Do a few light coats...letting it dry in between coats.

This is how I used to paint Harley's...of course i used better paint and a lot of clear coat. :smoke:

Edited by Flashbang

I used Rustoleum black, textured. Seemed to be an exact match and just dusted into the rest of the action and stock. Couldn't tell what was painted or missed. Has held up well to three cleanings. I spray the action area with gun scrubber and do the normal barrel cleaning with brushes and swabs. I have lightly painted over the safety scratch once and you couldn't tell the new paint from the old,,,

I used Rustoleum black, textured. Seemed to be an exact match and just dusted into the rest of the action and stock. Couldn't tell what was painted or missed. Has held up well to three cleanings. I spray the action area with gun scrubber and do the normal barrel cleaning with brushes and swabs. I have lightly painted over the safety scratch once and you couldn't tell the new paint from the old,,,

I know...tried to tell him that, but dont think he wants to listen...i AWESOME paint!

Good question.

Here's my take...

For my first conversion project, the paint was definitely THE most frustrating part. You see, it took me three times before I finally landed on something that worked.

#1 => Brownells' Aluma-hyde never seemed to fully dry. Anyway, I got impatient after about a week and a half of drying-time, and got my finger prints all over the receiver. I wasn't happy at all. So, I stripped the paint off.

#2 => Next, I tried Rustoleum's BBQ paint...it sucked too, as most the reports here suggest. It did dry, but it peeled like crazy, once I installed the safety; it looked horrible. Again, I had to strip the paint off.

#3 => Eventually, I used Rustoleum's hi-temp (500 degrees) engine block paint, in black semi-gloss. It actually turned out decent...I'll give it a "B+" rating. However, it goes on a bit thick. So, only use two coats (max).

Heck, it was my first conversion. So, frankly speaking, I learned more of "what NOT to do", than "what to do".

I also made the mistake of completely stripping the receiver and parts I wanted to paint down the bare metal. If you're going to do this, make sure to use a metal primer (1-2 coats). This will make the paint "stick" much better.

However, for my next conversion project, I'm simply going to rough-up the original paint, and paint directly over it, using the original paint as the "primer". In other words, I won't be stripping the receiver and/or parts down to the bare metal. Honestly, I feel this was a just waste of time and effort. But, more importantly, it made it QUITE difficult to get the new paint to stick...until, of course, I used a primer.

Going forward, I'll probably use DuraCoat. You see, I've seen several Saiga conversions where a friend of mine used DuraCoat. In short, they look quite good.

And, he only roughed-up the original paint, and painted right over it. The finish looks good, and it's quite strong too.

The only thing is that it's best to put it on with an air-brush. If you have already have an air compressor, this won't cost you much.

Anyway, in the end, if you're simply looking to get a decent finish, I think the hi-temp engine block paint will suffice.

Finally, BE PATIENT! Don't rush the paint. Give it at least a week (or more). I'd suggest painting it on a Friday, and come back to the project after your work week is over.

~ alaj70