Saiga 12 and the 22" barrel

My 22' runs fine and always hits the mark. I can use it for Turkey, Deer, Waterfowl, Trap, Skeet, Wingshooting or home defense. It can and does do everything.

So it has a whopping 3 inches of extra barrel. This makes little if any difference in home defense but gives quite an advantage in everything else.

I liked my 22" but when I bought it there was no 19" guns around. So I turned it into a 20" gun with threads. Kinda wish I would still have the tighter pattern of that full choke.

Overall I'm happy with my decision, which is a good thing since its pretty hard to add barrel back to the gun ;)

Like Joe said, the 22" barrels have a fixed full choke. Good for turkey shoots and skeet / bird huntin'.

Not sure what the fixed full choke means... just longer barrel so tighter patterns with more velocity?

The barrel was slightly narrowed at the muzzle via a "forcing cone" to make the shot more dense, creating a tighter pattern down range. I could make milkjugs (empty) dance at 35-40yds with birdshot due to the tight full choke in the 22" guns. The fixed part means that you're stuck with that choke, since the entire end of the barrel is the forcing cone. This differs from the 19" guns, Mossy 500s, Rem 870s etc etc that have removable choke systems for maximum versatility.

In Russia shotgun is versatility

Like Joe said, the 22" barrels have a fixed full choke. Good for turkey shoots and skeet / bird huntin'.

Not sure what the fixed full choke means... just longer barrel so tighter patterns with more velocity?

The barrel was slightly narrowed at the muzzle via a "forcing cone" to make the shot more dense, creating a tighter pattern down range. I could make milkjugs (empty) dance at 35-40yds with birdshot due to the tight full choke in the 22" guns. The fixed part means that you're stuck with that choke, since the entire end of the barrel is the forcing cone. This differs from the 19" guns, Mossy 500s, Rem 870s etc etc that have removable choke systems for maximum versatility.

In Russia shotgun is versatility

Well, I ended up buying the 22" inch. Got it for $449 delivered. Was too hard to pass up. IS there a way to swap out the fixed choke with a removable one? Is the barrel threaded on the 22's?

Thanks,

Usually they aren't threaded, but I just saw one on gunbroker that looked to have the thread protector on the end, which would mean it is threaded. When you get it, just look/feel inside the end of the barrel and you will see the built in choke. It still works with rifled or brenanke style slugs just fine.

Once a guy smarter than me said, "a shot shell gets all the velocity that its going to in about 8 inches". I think many length issues have to do with sight radius, more than power. So like a poster said, it depends on what you want to do with it. Me, I like it as short as possible, but the mission statement for my S12 does not include hunting or trap and skeet.

Join the NRA.

Almost any good gunsmith, and several of the advertisers here can bore out the fixed choke and thread your barrel for removable screw chokes. Screw chokes in extended lengths with external threads for a muzzle break /breacher are also available. That way you can have the best of all worlds.

Usually they aren't threaded, but I just saw one on gunbroker that looked to have the thread protector on the end, which would mean it is threaded. When you get it, just look/feel inside the end of the barrel and you will see the built in choke. It still works with rifled or brenanke style slugs just fine.

Well, the barrel is indeed threaded. On the thread is a larger washer like ring that just covers the threads. There isn't anything inside the barrel, I opened the bolt and look through the business end of the barrel. All I see if the bolt, there is nothing that reduces the bore diameter like I was expecting. It's but one long barrel with threads at the end. I bought the gun from the this guy GUNBROKER AD. My Saiga looks exactly the same... What do I have? Also, I wanted this saiga to be an all purpose shot gun. Self defense, skeet and hunting if I need it. I do plan on putting a pistol grip and folder down the road.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm as green as you can be for the saiga 12.

Since you mentioned green, I'll use the green saiga-12 ;)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=2&t=46704&qpid=431889#

In that picture, look at the bottom of the receiver, directly beneath the the import mark (Importer is EAA Corp). The marking I'm talking about is F (1,0). I'm hoping this marking stays true to the newer guns. The 1 designates a full choke, since this barrel isn't threaded the choke is fixed. I just checked my factory threaded barrel and it doesn't have the F (1,0) marking so I'm assuming the marking system is still valid.

Hope that helps

post-1914-12574735152736_thumb.jpg

Since you mentioned green, I'll use the green saiga-12 ;)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=2&t=46704&qpid=431889#

In that picture, look at the bottom of the receiver, directly beneath the the import mark (Importer is EAA Corp). The marking I'm talking about is F (1,0). I'm hoping this marking stays true to the newer guns. The 1 designates a full choke, since this barrel isn't threaded the choke is fixed. I just checked my factory threaded barrel and it doesn't have the F (1,0) marking so I'm assuming the marking system is still valid.

Hope that helps

The picture of your rifle is a bit different from mine. Where your import mark is, my rifle just says SAIGA 12. There is nothing below 12x76 18,3.

My import mark (Russian Amory co Scottberg,IN is just forward of the mag well. Still in the dark what I am dealing with.

• 2 weeks later...