It all depends on what your definition of "good" is and how deep are your pockets. Also depends on what you plan to use it for. At the upper extreme you have something like Noveske but be prepared to shell out major $$$$$$. The most accurate rifle I have is a Noveske AR-10 that shoots close to 1/4 MOA 5 shot groups. Amazing accuracy. But I don't own a Noveske AR-15 upper since I don't need that level of accuracy in an AR-15. I am perfectly happy with my Rock River Entry Tactical. If you want something cheap, the DSAs M4s that were recently on sell for $275 without a BCG or charging handle more than met my expectations. If you plan to shoot less than 1000 rounds, it really does not matter what you buy. Almost all will handle that with ease. CMMG, Model 1, J&T are likely to fill your bill and leave plenty of $$ for ammo. If you think you will shoot 10k rounds, then might want to be a little more picky since reliability of some of the "lesser brands" start to show up (Rock River or Colt would be good choices). If you plan to shoot 20k+ rounds and your life is on the line, open up your wallet wide and get the best you can get.

It is much easier to ask the questions "who makes bad M4 uppers?". For me, I don't care for Olympic Arms or DPMS (both were jam-o-matics for me) but I know other love these brands.

If you plan to shoot less than 1000 rounds, it really does not matter what you buy. Almost all will handle that with ease. CMMG, Model 1, J&T are likely to fill your bill and leave plenty of $ for ammo. If you think you will shoot 10k rounds, then might want to be a little more picky since reliability of some of the "lesser brands" start to show up (Rock River or Colt would be good choices). If you plan to shoot 20k+ rounds and your life is on the line, open up your wallet wide and get the best you can get.

RockHoundTX, can you clarify for me what you mean by the number of rounds?

For example, do you mean actual barrel life, that for continued accuracy and functioning, the barrel should be changed after X# of rounds?

If so, under what conditions would X# of rounds have to be fire to adversely affect the barrel thusly, sustained select/auto resulting in extreme heat, semiauto firing/moderate heat or just X# of rounds period?

Edited by ChileRelleno

One last bit of advice. Make sure to get the one that includes a forward assist assembly & ejection port cover assembly. The stripped uppers dont include this feature.

I also agree that del ton is good for cheap uppers now that they are not so backed up you can get parts in a reasonable time. I waited 6 months for a forend earlier in the year.

If it's for fighting, LMT. If I were using an M4 in combat, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the LMT uppers I have ran. They have all the goodies I want in one.

LMT did change the key on their bolt carrier. From what I understand, they farm that part out now and it is poor quality. A lot of people who still want LMT bolt carrier, replace the key with a BCM. I know nothing wrong with the BCM bolt group.

I,ve not used BCM nearly as mush. Some die hard Colt guys have compaired the quality to Colt, saying that in some aspects it might be even better. BCM prices are way lower than Colt.

Edited by cscharlie
  • Like 1

If it's for fighting, LMT. If I were using an M4 in combat, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the LMT uppers I have ran. They have all the goodies I want in one.

LMT did change the key on their bolt carrier. From what I understand, they farm that part out now and it is poor quality. A lot of people who still want LMT bolt carrier, replace the key with a BCM. I know nothing wrong with the BCM bolt group.

I,ve not used BCM nearly as mush. Some die hard Colt guys have compaired the quality to Colt, saying that in some aspects it might be even better. BCM prices are way lower than Colt.

I agree 100% with all of this.

I'm a huge fan of BCM as a product, and as a company. You'll be hard pressed to find a more stand-up guy than Paul @ Bravo Company, or better products than BCM puts out. HIGH quality gear, at a lower price than Colt. I've got 2 BCM middies, both running BCM BCG's. One of which is rocking a BCM Gunfighter charging handle (which I got for free :super: ) I couldn't be happier with them. I hope to put one of them through a carbine course soon.

Pat Rogers has a BCM that has like 25,000 rounds through it. No malfs, and minimal cleaning (just kept it lubed).

All of that being said, there's plenty of other brands I wouldn't hesitate on either. I liked my Stag. I would buy one again if I had a budget in mind.

• Like 1