loose tolerances

Ok, so I am sitting around, and decide to clean up the s-12 from yesterdays shooting.

I pull the dust cover off, and the bolt assembly out, and start wiping out the grit, and grime inside.

I hear something rattling around, down there, and see a glint of something brass moving around. I am think Oh shit, I finally get it performing perfect and not it is going to fall apart.

So I dog around and pull out what, looking down into the gun, looks to be a loose sheer pin of some kind.

Well, I finally have to turn it upside down,and shake it lose, and out it falls. the whole time I am thinking, there is nothing brass in this gun.

Closer examination revealed it to be a .22 casing, that would assume came from my .22 rifle, ejected while I was zeroing in the new 3x9 50mm scope.

I know I shot at least 150 rounds from the Saiga after zeroing the rifle in, because I shot all the 22 rounds I had up at that time.

Good lord, what else could you get up in there and would still allow the gun to function. A little dirt jams up a AR, and many other guns.

I find it hilarious that something like that could just bounce around in there, get crushed, and bent up, but the gun keep on shooting.

These AK type guns are really starting to impress me.

I here the stories about dropping them in dirt, and mud, and how they operate just fine, but never thought them so extremely true

• Like 1

i ran about 150 of these down mine years ago....these are some of the best out of the bunch.....when i took the gun apart when i was done, there was all KINDS of pieces of metal and plastic in the action and it didnt hiccup once.

try that with your benelli.....

oh yeh, it was about 0F outside and i let the gun and shells sit for several hours before doing it...

post-83-12583388171843_thumb.jpg

i ran about 150 of these down mine years ago....these are some of the best out of the bunch.....when i took the gun apart when i was done, there was all KINDS of pieces of metal and plastic in the action and it didnt hiccup once.

try that with your benelli.....

oh yeh, it was about 0F outside and i let the gun and shells sit for several hours before doing it...

Nice. :up: I recently ran ~10 quite corroded 2 3/4" magnum Remington "Sluggers" through my S-12 and had no malfunctions of any kind... and I was impressed by the power of these particular slugs. One tore a fairly substantial upright vacuum in half with a single shot. :eek:

God I love my S-12. :wub:

Toughness and reliability under harsh conditions is the main reason I chose a Saiga 12 as my first shotgun. A Saiga 12 is a shotgun that is AK tough and AK reliable, literally. And while I know the pump gun fans on other forums would invariably try to find a way disagree with me, I also have no doubt that as long as a shooter is using ammo with sufficient power to cycle it, a Saiga 12 is at least as tough and reliable as a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590 (or any other pump action shotgun for that matter). If any 870 or 590 fans reading this post want to accuse me of heresy, I would merely remind them that it's not heresy if it's true :angel:.

Toughness and reliability under harsh conditions is the main reason I chose a Saiga 12 as my first shotgun. A Saiga 12 is a shotgun that is AK tough and AK reliable, literally. And while I know the pump gun fans on other forums would invariably try to find a way disagree with me, I also have no doubt that as long as a shooter is using ammo with sufficient power to cycle it, a Saiga 12 is at least as tough and reliable as a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590 (or any other pump action shotgun for that matter). If any 870 or 590 fans reading this post want to accuse me of heresy, I would merely remind them that it's not heresy if it's true :angel:.

Pump-guns make fine hunting firearms. However, against 2-legged opposition, the S-12 is clearly superior to any other scattergun :killer:

I'm really glad to hear all this. I just got my Saiga 12 a few weeks ago, and have only ran about 50 rounds through it, but this makes me think I made the right choice.

I admit to some buyers remorse for a short time until the Saiga loosened up, started running right, and now I am considering a Saiga rifle, just not sure of the best caliber.

In reality, all I needed was some patience, and a some ammo to polish off the rough spots.

I'm really glad to hear all this. I just got my Saiga 12 a few weeks ago, and have only ran about 50 rounds through it, but this makes me think I made the right choice.

I admit to some buyers remorse for a short time until the Saiga loosened up, started running right, and now I am considering a Saiga rifle, just not sure of the best caliber...

If I were you, I'd consider buying a SGL21, (basically a semi-auto AK-103 without the folding stock), for $550 from K-Var while their very temporary sale lasts. They're Legion, (Izhmash custom rifle shop), Saigas.. and when you buy one of these.. basically you're "done". All the military features, (except selective fire), are already in place. When you buy a standard "sporter" Saiga 7.62x39 rifle, you're buying a project. That just doesn't make sense while SGL21's are only $550.

As for caliber, I prefer the 7.62x39 in any case, since it hits much harder and has better cover penetration than the 5.56 or 5.45. Also, this is the cartridge that the rifle was designed to fire.

Ymmv, but the way I look at it, if you have the disposable income, you should pick up a SGL21 now and if for some reason you didn't love it and make it one of your personal rifles, you could sell it for a profit in a few months.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I admit to some buyers remorse for a short time until the Saiga loosened up, started running right, and now I am considering a Saiga rifle, just not sure of the best caliber...

If I were you, I'd consider buying a SGL21, (basically a semi-auto AK-103 without the folding stock), for $550 from K-Var while their very temporary sale lasts. They're Legion, (Izhmash custom rifle shop), Saigas.. and when you buy one of these.. basically you're "done". All the military features, (except selective fire), are already in place. When you buy a standard "sporter" Saiga 7.62x39 rifle, you're buying a project. That just doesn't make sense while SGL21's are only $550.

As for caliber, I prefer the 7.62x39 in any case, since it hits much harder and has better cover penetration than the 5.56 or 5.45. Also, this is the cartridge that the rifle was designed to fire.

Ymmv, but the way I look at it, if you have the disposable income, you should pick up a SGL21 now and if for some reason you didn't love it and make it one of your personal rifles, you could sell it for a profit in a few months.

Interesting, Thanks.

I sort of favor larger caliber rifle, not a big fan of the 22 sized rounds, except in an actual .22 rifle.

As Woody said in "Natural Born Killers", "What are you going to do Wound me". :super: