Choosing your first handgun

Choosing your first handgun can be a daunting task. I remember my first handgun purchase, I bought it because I thought it looked cool....I really didn't have anyone to guide me through the process and went about it backwards and ended up being completely unhappy with my choice after I got over the excitement factor of just buying my first handgun.

The first question I've always asked when people say "I'm gonna get a pistol" is, what are you going to use it for? Maybe you want it for concealed carry, hunting or just home protection, or maybe you've even decided to get into competition. Whatever the choice the first decision you have to make is what caliber your going to shoot. This process alone is mind racking but there's a pretty easy way to find out. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up, don't just pick up something in .45ACP and say "this is a big round it will do".

The last person that I helped pick out a pistol literally thought we were going to the gun store that day to pick one out, he was hell bent on getting a 1911 in .45ACP. I took him to the range first and started with a .22lr to get him used to how you aim and the basic stances when firing a pistol. We then started to work our way up through the calibers, at no time did I tell him what caliber he was shooting. 9mm was easy for him, .357 wasn't to bad but he really came into his element with the .40S&W round. He could put a consistent string of shots in a decent pattern at 15 to 25 yards, at this time I figured that would be the round he was going to like at the end of our little "session". Next I had him shoot .45ACP and 10mm, it went horribly for him. His first shot would connect with the paper, but his follow up shot was no where near the first. after a 1 mag of each he asked to go back to "the other gun" (the .40S&W). If a new shooter gets a pistol that gives them to much felt recoil they will fall into bad habits quickly like bracing themselves for the recoil instead of focusing on shooting. I've watched numerous shooters close there eyes right before they shoot or wince before they even pull the trigger, this effectivley kills the whole point of shooting. When this happens you just became a liability instead of a solution.

The next part is selecting the gun that feels right in your hand, if it's uncomfortable for you to hold then how well do you think your going to shoot? People who have been shooting pistols for awhile always seem to think that there pistol is the best. Don't believe me? Just ask anyone with a pistol, they'll tell you!

Don't forget that you don't just shoot it and throw it back in the safe, you have to clean it to. If your lazy and don't like to clean then get something that is easy to break down (or stick with a revolver they are in my opinion the easiest to clean).

Spend time to take some classes before you buy your first pistol or learn from someone you know who has some experiance. There are alot of instructors out there that can and will provide pistols for you to shoot or go to a range where you can rent. This alone will save you from making a poor decision in the future.

The next question is usually autoloader or revolver? That is where learning how to reload comes in. For some throwing a moon clip in a revolver is easy, for others (like me) it's a major accomplishment to get the revolver reloaded in under half a day (kidding, but really though it's something I need to work on). Some people really like the feel and balance of a revolver as opposed to an autoloader. Again it's all personal preferance. Both kinds have there pluses and minuses, but both will get the job done.

Last but not least, don't make your decision over night. Go back through the process a few times before you make your decision, it'll end up saving you a ton of money. A super expensive gun does not mean quality, it just means you spent a lot. You also don't need to start off with all the bells and whistles, all those gadgets are just going to confuse a new shooter, those can come later when you perfect your skills with the basics. Hell give your self an incentive by purchasing after you've achieved a personal goal (whether that be after 1000rds or better range scores, etc...).

Oh yeah, one more hot tip, if your buying a pistol because it's cheap or because the pistol caliber is cheap you may want to rethink buying a pistol altogether. If your going to trust your life with something make sure it works and will actually stop what your shooting at. Practice with what your going to use so you don't end up surprised when you go from the range to real life.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

• Like 2

Hey there, lots of good info.

From chuck hawks site regarding reliable 9mm pistols...

First Class pistols are ultra-reliable and high-quality new guns than can feed any hollowpoint and tolerate +P loads with no problems: SIG/Sauer P220 series. Czech CZ75 and CZ85. Walther P5, P5C, and P88. Heckler and Koch USP and P7 series. All Glocks. All Ruger 9mm pistols. Taurus PT-99, PT-92 and PT-92C. Steyr GB. Beretta 92 series. Browning BDM and Hi-Power (if it says "Portugal" on the slide). All Smith & Wessons with a four-digit model number (e.g. 5906, 3913, 6904, 5903) and the Smith & Wesson 900 series. Star M28, M30, M31, and all Firestars, Megastars, and Ultrastars.

Most of the above are also as reliable in 40 s&w models. To the above list I'd add other pistols including springfield 1911's, springfield xd's, newer taurus millenium pistols, ruger revolvers, smith and wesson j frames, most taurus revolvers, taurus 1911's, sig 226, 229, 239. There are probably a few good ones missing, but if you can't find a good handgun you like from this selection then you've got some hang-ups.

Buck

I would recommend shooting friends' guns to try them out or if there is a local gun shop/shooting range where you can try shooting a variety of handguns before dropping the cash. Being comfortable with your weapon is paramount! I have sold perfectly good guns simply because they weren't "for me". I love my .44mag revolver and my Taurus 1911 equally, and I also really enjoy my .22 Ruger. Pick a purpose first, like plinking, hunting, self defense and go from there. A lot of good advise here, use it wisely and save money.

post-16191-12592030336315_thumb.jpg

post-16191-12592031220845_thumb.jpg

I would recommend shooting friends' guns to try them out or if there is a local gun shop/shooting range where you can try shooting a variety of handguns before dropping the cash. Being comfortable with your weapon is paramount! I have sold perfectly good guns simply because they weren't "for me". I love my .44mag revolver and my Taurus 1911 equally, and I also really enjoy my .22 Ruger. Pick a purpose first, like plinking, hunting, self defense and go from there. A lot of good advise here, use it wisely and save money.

Nice Taurus! How does it shoot? My stepson is wanting to get one.

reason everyone tells you their gun is the best is because of buyers remorse.. No one wants to admit the money they dropped was a waste, ask our goverment! :dollar:

But yeah, try a variety of guns.. My first reaction for my first handgun was to go for a .45 1911 or "The Judge".. Wanted a huge bullet in a nice looking gun and had no real experience.. After having a bit of common sense talked into me wound up getting a taurus .40 pt140 milenium pro instead, smaller bullet in a gun that isn't quite as good looking, but was a more appropriate 1st handgun. Nice sized load but still manageable and small enough to be convenient. It wasn't my first choice for a gun by a long shot, but it wound up being the more logical choice and I'm VERY happy with it...

heck, just saturday I was plinking with both my pop's pt 140, and my 357.

I cant hit the broadside of a barn with the pt140, but I was picking stuff off at 75+ yards with the 357.

at eight feet which would i prefer? whatever is closest....but id still reach for the 12 gauge first if it were an option....

as for carrying? id almost prefer a revolver over an autoloader just because if it dont go bang, you just pull the trigger again and the hammer drops on a new round.....the taurus carries a lot better than any revolver, but I still like the part about it going bang and only having to pull the trigger again to "chamber" a new round.

Nice Taurus! How does it shoot? My stepson is wanting to get one.

This Taurus shoots great!!! I have loved the way it handles from day one! Very accurate, Great trigger, Well balanced, Not expensive and FUN, FUN,FUN! I reccommend it to anyone 110%

This Taurus shoots great!!! I have loved the way it handles from day one! Very accurate, Great trigger, Well balanced, Not expensive and FUN, FUN,FUN! I reccommend it to anyone 110%

Cool! Academy still has 'em for under 6-hundred, I believe.