Alum-hyde, Gun-kote

I haven't used Gun Kote, no way to bake it without some serious shit to deal with.

Alumahyde2 is good shit. You should be able to get 2-3 rifles with one can. Make sure you buy extra nozzles and keep the can warm so it flows better.

i read on the forum that the Alum-hyde can get a bit sticky when heated up under firing? Does this occur after it has been fully cured?

Nope it's GTG when properly cured. Follow the directions. What's good is you don't need to blast and park, just sand everything down and spray the Alumahyde 2 per the directions.

One of my AK builds I did sand and I used K phose before I applied the alumahyde2, thats a good solid finish.

It does go on very thick, so don't get too happy on the inside of the receiver, I would tape off the rails and trunnion.

I use Metal cote, it's a clear single coat epoxy on the inside. Brownels carries that too.

yup Alumihyde II on at least 10 of my builds.......including Browning 1919.......only one drawback.....must use patience.....full cure takes a good couple weeks.....i found out the hard way....was dry to the touch so i said , hell, i'll put it together.....the selector on my ak gouged it a bit...but once fully cured its rock solid....good stuff!!!

• 7 months later...

post-25905-098057000 1280876123_thumb.jpg

Here is my 1st using Aluma-Hyde II done while I was in the High Desert turned out pretty good. Wish I had read more before I had started. I have used the firearm a bit harshly to include washing it off with a water hose after a couple of days on an ATV back in the wetter mountains in the East. Listen to thedave8.

If you go with Aluma Hyde II make sure you DEGREASE well. And when you thought you've degreased the gun, degrease some more! I had oil hiding underneath the gas block and FSB, as well as between trunion and receiver, inside the nub of the safety, etc. and during curing it seeped out and made the thing have "cow spots"

AHII and Gun Kote both work great. AHII works very, very well and is easy to spray. Gun Kote works best on a parked surface. That is what I have used it on and it is tough as nails. AHII worked on my Saiga and looks better then the original paint (not saying much there I guess). Just as Klassey said...degrease, degrease, and degrease again once you think it is done. That is the key. To me, Gun Kote was just as easy as AHII. I baked AHII at 185 for 1.5 hours and it came out dry enough to work with. It will harden even further. DO NOT use any lubricant on it until you are sure it is FULLY cured (I wait a week). Gun Kote has to sit for 30 minutes after applied, then baked at 300 degrees for 1 hour. After that, do want you want with it. Teflon Moly is good as well....but stinks like hell. Really was caught off guard by this and caught total hell from Mrs for it. When I refinished my AR lower, had to send it to my GS buddy to bead blast it. 3 days sitting in my witches brew of different paint removers didn't phase it a bit! Good luck and remember: if you think it is degreased enough....then do it again!