Maybe I missed a post, but what metal did you use? I ask, because you may be able to use common plumbing silver solder to pretty up the seams. Cut the end of a brass bar to look like the top of an obelisk (Washington Monument) and use a torch to heat till it melts solder freely. Use the smallest area of the tip possible and allow the heat to transfer to the work only enough to melt the solder. Do not put the solder on either the tip or the work, but the intersection of the two, and drag it back slightly on the work to ensure that the work is hot enough to melt it, and to fill the gap. If the work is too hot the solder will run off, but with a bit of practice you can get it to act like modeling clay and fill some rather large gaps. I have repaired some nasty cracks in radiators this way over the years.

Interesting, thanks! I used sheet pewter, and I also have some pewter wire left over. Can you think of any reason why I couldn't use that for solder?

Practice on some scraps, preferably left over from this project.