I was impressed by both rifles. Yes, the Colt significantly outscored the AK, but that was 100% expected. I was very impressed though by the fact that the SGL20 was still able to deliver shots in the kill zones. I only fired a total of eight shots at each target (3, then 2, then 3 again), while alternating rifles. I took 3 to 4 seconds between each shot and did my best to replicate the pace of shooting between both rifles. Both are great. In my book. I would also like to add that both rifles were sighted in at 20 yards before I conduced this exercise and were both shooting right on the money at that distance. This was not done for bashing (before that happens). I did this because I wanted to see for myself the accuracy differences between these two excellent platforms.

• Like 1

Yes, 100 yard range. I think I could have gotten more accuracy out of the SGL had I decided to adjust the sights, but I wanted to keep things the same way for both guns. I zero'd them both in at about 20 yards and then proceeded out to the bench.

• Like 1

What's snow? Guys, I'm in Deep South Texas. It snows down here once every 40 years or so. We have a freeze two days out of the year and that's about it. This year we have had only one night when the temp dropped below freezing for about two hours. Yesterday was great. About 70 degrees and no wind.

• Like 1

How deep is deep texas for you?

<<<Texan myself, just wondering If your talking mcallen texas deep or san antonio deep! lol.

Oh and you should have used the sight son the sgl like its ment to be used you woulda grouped better, just imo

Edited by chevyman097

Rio Grande Valley Deep. And I did use the sights, I just didn't adjust them after I sighted both rifles in at 20 yards. Believe it or not, the SGL seemed more accurate at 20 yards than the Colt did. I was very surprised to see my shots open up so much and over to the right at 100 yards. I'm sure that with a proper spotting scope and my sight adjustment tool, I could get the SGL hitting in the 9 and 10 circles consistently. But like I said, I didn't want to change a thing on either rifle to keep things as equal as possible. And yes, I also know that keeping things equal is also impossible due to the ammo used. Next time, I'll take out my Saiga 223 and compare that to the Colt.

• Like 1

Thanks for the range photos. Most people brag about how they shoot, but show nothing. You did well my friend! I didn't mean to give you a hard time about your review. It was well done. I just felt it was not fair to the AK platform. I think the Saiga in similar calibers would be a different outcome. I look forward to your Saiga .223 results.

Keep your Avtomat lubed!

Frosty

Edited by Fluid Power

FYI, the BT-5 targets used are for qualifying at 25 yards. The red sticker I placed in the 10 ring measure 3 inches in diameter. At 100 yards, the front posts of both rifles used completely covered the targets. I was basically placing the red smudge I could see directly over the post on every shot. I figured any sight adjustment made to the SGL without a spotter confirming my point of impact could have resulted in rounds moving several inches at a time. Next time, I will take a spotter and adjust after ever shot.