Winter Wonderland.... My Lord! What idiots!

. . .This reminds me of when we were learning how to march in step, on ice, with 1/2 of our division, 40 Texans who had never seen snow before, & most of African descent, while I was in bootcamp in Great Lakes Illinois!

It was the picture of a clusterfuck.

I can proudly say that when I was there December - February I only lost my footing a handful of times and fell on my ass once. :unsure: It was the -30 wind chill that really bothered me. I hope I never see Illinois again.

. . .This reminds me of when we were learning how to march in step, on ice, with 1/2 of our division, 40 Texans who had never seen snow before, & most of African descent, while I was in bootcamp in Great Lakes Illinois!

Whatever you guys.

I think what the OP wrote above was the most hillarious part.

:lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . . . . . . . :angel:

You should have seen it in person. It was a scene that would have made Charlie Chaplin & Jerry Lewis jealous!

I can proudly say that when I was there December - February I only lost my footing a handful of times and fell on my ass once. :unsure: It was the -30 wind chill that really bothered me. I hope I never see Illinois again.

So was I.

I left Feb 02 & it was -70 with windchill.

Guys were throwing salt 24-7 & the ice still kept forming. It was so cold that doubletime was secured most of the time & sometimes marching was also secured. We would put EVERYTHING we could get on us from our lockers on & get to the mess hall as fast as we could.

I left that frozen hell at -70 & arrived the next day in SanDiego as one of the last RM classes to go through NTC San Diego.

It was +70, palm trees were swaying & Kokamo was playing on the radio at the winchels in point loma where myself & a couple of guys who actually read our orders & knew we had 24 hours to chill before reporting to NTC were hanging out.

I felt like I had reached paradise. I'll never forget that.

Oh dear. Someone took something too seriously.

"Validation"? :rolleyes:

Nonsense!

You are still one of my favorite Yankees! :D

even when you are wrong... :lolol:

Yeah, I guess you're pretty cool for a Southerner, too! :D

......but I'm still right. :drevil:

I remember Great Lakes in Decembrrr - there was no gravity there, the whole place SUCKED! Went directly to Sub School in New London from there. That place was even worse the wind blew so hard nobody could walk upright.They have a party in January when the lake freezes solid to the bottom! And just to make life more interesting the chow hall is a mile from the barracks. What an 'invigorating' walk at -10 degrees and 40 mph winds!

We figured that there were places that God never created, and the Devil filled in those parts. The Navy seeks out those places and buys them up at premium prices!

Lol Minnesota. If I EVER had to drive there I would probably start shooting. People drive like slugs and have absolutely no regard/awareness of common sense road rules.

At least in Phoenix we all are very aware of our surroundings as we drive like 4ft Chinese women behind the wheel of a SUV.

It used to be in Arizona that when we crash we CRASH. When I moved out here 4 years ago there was a guaranteed death or two every day on the Loop 101 freeway.

Edited by camon

We figured that there were places that God never created, and the Devil filled in those parts. The Navy seeks out those places and buys them up at premium prices!

They do that to create difficulty for the recruits, since they don't actually exercise them like the Marines do theirs and they aren't allowed to beat us anymore. Then we are grateful to get to our lovely ships and sleep in our lovely coffins.

Guys I hear this all the time from folks that come from regions that receive a great deal of snow and ice of how the people of an area with a comparatively moderate winter, "can't drive." As a native son of the the Sunny South I heard it frequently from our snow birds when we have a state wide panic over a few inches of snow.

Well surprise surprise, practice makes perfect and having the right equipment to do something makes all the difference in the world. The lack of snow tires, snow plows, salt trucks, and even snow shovels in an area that receives on average less then 1" of snow annually makes it a whole different proposition then coming from the frozen North where such precipitation and equipment is in great supply.

All that coupled with the fact that we also have our share of very marginal drivers in the first place does make this a problem of a greater magnitude then a blizzard in the Northern climes.

Honesty, you come across as pretty desperate for validation if you spend to much time harping on this as evidence of your driving superiority. I mean, they didn't invent NASCAR up North, for some reason... :lolol:

LOL!!