Standard AK magazines

I haven't yet found a good guide on how to convert the saiga to accept standard AK magazines. I live in NY and the 10 round ak mags are hard enough to come by especially when they need to be saiga specialized. I basically want to end up being able buy a regular ak magazine and have it fit. any guides you guys might know of will be greatly appreciated.

i had a maadi ak and did the hi cap conversion myself. it's really simple, but i was apprehensive about cutting into a perfectly good ak. Basically i took masking tape and covered the magwell, then i traced around the outside of a double stack mag onto the masking tape and got to cuttin'. eventually after much filing and what not my circle 10's fit with no wobble at all. I'm very pleased. Here's a write up, but i suggest removing the bolt/spring/and top cover.

http://guncentral.net/Articles/LoCap-HiCap.html

it's really simple the filing just take's time. essentially you cut the area back so that the magwell is as wide as the magwell dimples. if you have further feel free to pm me and 'll help you out.

i had a maadi ak and did the hi cap conversion myself. it's really simple, but i was apprehensive about cutting into a perfectly good ak. Basically i took masking tape and covered the magwell, then i traced around the outside of a double stack mag onto the masking tape and got to cuttin'. eventually after much filing and what not my circle 10's fit with no wobble at all. I'm very pleased. Here's a write up, but i suggest removing the bolt/spring/and top cover.

it's really simple the filing just take's time. essentially you cut the area back so that the magwell is as wide as the magwell dimples. if you have further feel free to pm me and 'll help you out.

As theshopping1 says below, no cutting required during Saiga conversions.

If you do find a single stack WASR or MISR to convert, you DON'T "cut the area back so that the magwell is as wide as the magwell dimples". If you do so, you'll most likely have a mag well looser than a veteran prostitute's money-maker . . .

Whoa whoa whoa, no cutting required.

All you need to do is install a bullet guide and file the mag catch to fit the mags. It's really easy, go to Dinzags web sight, I think he has a write up on it.

Indeed. Please don't cut into your Saiga unnecessarily.

How is it even possible to have almost 400 posts on this forum and you give this ludicrous answer? Since when do you cut a Saiga mag well?

Please do not pm this poster and get info. You will ruin your rifle. Your Saiga already takes double stacked mags.

I haven't yet found a good guide on how to convert the saiga to accept standard AK magazines. I live in NY and the 10 round ak mags are hard enough to come by especially when they need to be saiga specialized. I basically want to end up being able buy a regular ak magazine and have it fit. any guides you guys might know of will be greatly appreciated.

Lol I had sworn I remembered you asking this before. And yup I was right. What is wrong with the good guides that others members supplied in the other thread you started about this? I would have to say that you have not found a good guide because you didnt read the other thread you started. The drum mag and standard AK mag make no difference. They fit the same way. Being a NY resident you cannot buy regular AK mags anyway. You must buy preban mags after you convert your Saiga.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=48730&st=0&p=452276entry452276

Being a NY resident you cannot buy regular AK mags anyway. You must buy preban mags after you convert your Saiga.

I don't even understand the first part of this statement.

Pre-ban AK mags are still "regular AK mags". What are you talking about?

Being a NY resident you cannot buy regular AK mags anyway. You must buy preban mags after you convert your Saiga.

I don't even understand the first part of this statement.

Pre-ban AK mags are still "regular AK mags". What are you talking about?

You know exactly what I am talking about. I am not saying there is a difference between the two is design. I am saying the OP needs to be aware that any mag over 10 rounds he buys needs to be preban. He cannot just go out and get any regular AK mag. It has to be preban. His state claims the two are different. For what idiotic reason? Who knows.

that's where my confusion was and i apologize. I thought he was referring to a single stack magazine to double stack on an ak. As you see i posted that around 4am and had been drinking heavily. I do apologize. I included plenty of info even a how so i'm sure no damage was done im sure he went to the how to and though wtf?

that's where my confusion was and i apologize. I thought he was referring to a single stack magazine to double stack on an ak. As you see i posted that around 4am and had been drinking heavily. I do apologize. I included plenty of info even a how so i'm sure no damage was done im sure he went to the how to and though wtf?

While I am not a drinker this made me laugh so hard. Thanks for the confession. Now you make total sense :haha: Good for you that I dont think he reads the threads he posts anyways. :eek:

• Like 1

Digger, you don't have to be a prick about stuff. People make mistakes, just try to productively help them.

258Troll_spray.jpg

:D

LOL I wasn't aware this was a jr. high forum. nice troll sign.

I did help. I point the OP back to his other thread he started where he basically asked the same question. There were excellent answers there. I do not know why he couldn't find them. The search feature is also an excellent tool to learn everything possible here. I also tried to strongly stop the OP from taking a saw to his Saiga and cutting it open and ruining the rifle as recommended by a drunk guy. I think those are both considered helping and have nothing to do with trolling. Great jr high graphic though.

BTW, if the mods here support freedom of speech and allow blatant profanity, a little sarcasm and whit can't compare. It doesnt take intelligence to curse, but sarcasm demands creativity.

• Like 2

I give up. I'm usually pretty helpful. Dropped the ball on this one and again i apologize.

Don't give up, I've seen you post helpfull stuff and good questions. It just sucks when people bash others for making a mistake, no matter how witty they think they may be. But what do I know, I'm in the 8th grade. :D

• Like 1

Threads like this make me wonder if just reading the forum or using the search feature is just that hard. Maybe even the conversion part of the forum would have some info. Ya think?

I did use the search feature and found alot of other threads asking about various magazines for either already modified guns or just questions about regular surefire mags. I thought it would be easier to ask.

Edited by jtstav

And this is why I hate forums. You get really nice people who help you and then someone being a prick about it. I asked about using a drum magazine before. Not about a conversion. I got linked to dinzag once and the help they had didn't help. Or at least the link I was given wasn't really a help. It was basically a list of 3 ways to have the saiga accept standard AK mags. 1. stick with the OG mag. 2. Modify the saiga and the standard magazine 3. modify the saiga completely. No instructions how. I just thought I'd ask more directly.

Lol Dinzag has the complete instructions on his site. You just have to look and read. I am not being a prick, but I just can't comprehend how hard it is to read. This is only my 84th post on this forum. I have owned a Saiga now for about 3 weeks. I am pretty much a newbie, but I figured out that most of the info I need to know about Saigas is written right here. All ya gotta do is read it. Im not special, an expert, or better than anyone. I just know how to read. There is a whole section on conversion and tons of threads forum wide about it. There is a feast of info here that you can fill yourself with. I am just inviting you to the banquet table. You are the one who has to choose to eat, or try to get people to spoon feed you and never be able to feed yourself.

The drum mag fits into the rifle the same way any other standard ak works. It just holds more. Install the bullet guide and file the mag catch and it will accept standard AK mags. This is a step is restoration or "conversion". That is exactly what you asked. Multiple people said that in the other thread as well.

• Like 1

And this is why I hate forums. You get really nice people who help you and then someone being a prick about it. I asked about using a drum magazine before. Not about a conversion. I got linked to dinzag once and the help they had didn't help. Or at least the link I was given wasn't really a help. It was basically a list of 3 ways to have the saiga accept standard AK mags. 1. stick with the OG mag. 2. Modify the saiga and the standard magazine 3. modify the saiga completely. No instructions how. I just thought I'd ask more directly.

Here's the link to the page that has the guide on it. Scroll down and click in "install instructions" and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I would suggest doing it with a drill press but it can be done with a hand drill if you are careful. If using a drill press, after drilling the hole don't move the gun and insert the tap into the drill press and spin it with your hand. Knowing the proper way to tap a hole helps too.

Here's the link to the page that has the guide on it. Scroll down and click in "install instructions" and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I would suggest doing it with a drill press but it can be done with a hand drill if you are careful. If using a drill press, after drilling the hole don't move the gun and insert the tap into the drill press and spin it with your hand. Knowing the proper way to tap a hole helps too.

Ok thanks. Before Someone sent me a link to a pdf about the different levels of conversion. The one you sent me is exactly what im looking for. Thanks