My wife wants an ak for her birthday and she's a petite thing. I know the 7.62 doesn't kick much, but is the 5.45 noticeably tamer? I already got her a .22 semi rifle, .22 mag bolt action, .410 pump, Walther p22. I'm leaning toward the 5.45 for her and 7.62 for me.

My wife wants an ak for her birthday and she's a petite thing. I know the 7.62 doesn't kick much, but is the 5.45 noticeably tamer? I already got her a .22 semi rifle, .22 mag bolt action, .410 pump, Walther p22. I'm leaning toward the 5.45 for her and 7.62 for me.

I had the same thought, and now my wife is the proud owner of a converted 5.45 Saiga. She loves it. She is a small woman, and had only ever fired a 22 LR rifle on one previous occasion. She left our range session with the 5.45 saying, "I like that rifle." She thought the recoil was negligible and much less than she expected, and toward the end of the session was hitting the target reliably.

I believe the Russians measured the 5.45 as having just under half the recoil of the 7.62x39. After firing them both side by side this last weekend, I'd say that that's about right.

My wife has expressed interest in some plum furniture for her AK. Will pick it up for her soon.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Noticeably less recoil, and more accurate too. Recoil is about the same as an AR if you've ever shot one of those.

Within ~200 yards, I don't know that 5.45x39 is significantly more accurate.. perhaps a little. It most certainly is flatter-shooting, giving it a longer maximum effective range. The recoil is noticably less than that of the 7.62x39. That'll probably be more important to a slight person, (like a woman), so it's most likely a better caliber for las chicas.

I much prefer the greater destructive power of the 7.62x39, (and that's the caliber the AK was designed for), so that's the caliber I heavily favor. Then again, I'm 6'1" and 200lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Noticeably less recoil, and more accurate too. Recoil is about the same as an AR if you've ever shot one of those.

Within ~200 yards, I don't know that 5.45x39 is significantly more accurate.. perhaps a little. It most certainly is flatter-shooting, giving it a longer maximum effective range. The recoil is noticably less than that of the 7.62x39. That'll probably be more important to a slight person, (like a woman), so it's most likely a better caliber for las chicas.

I much prefer the greater destructive power of the 7.62x39, (and that's the caliber the AK was designed for), so that's the caliber I heavily favor. Then again, I'm 6'1" and 200lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal. :smoke:

Thanks for the help fellas. She's gettin a 5.45 I'm gettin' the 7.62 to go with the s-12 and a psl to go with the mosin she got me last year. I'm with ya post. 6'-195# and I like destruction!

Hello

My wife is 5'-2" and about 115#-120# (OK, that ass may be spreading out a bit in her "golden years" more than that...) but I have to practically pry a S.308 out of her hands at the range. She'll shoot it all day long.

Don't get me wrong, I can stick a .39 in front of her and she's happy, but she has no problem with the .308 round. She sure doesn't mind the .39 round. (Does that caliber have recoil?)

I don't have anything smaller than the .39 to offer as a comparison.

Respectfully,

guido

Thanks for the help fellas. She's gettin a 5.45 I'm gettin' the 7.62 to go with the s-12 and a psl to go with the mosin she got me last year. I'm with ya post. 6'-195# and I like destruction!

That was going to be my next suggestion. One of each.