Can the original Saiga 12 5 Round Mag be loaded for long periods of ti

The feed lips can. That's why some people say not to. The magpull p mag has a clip that takes the strain off the feed lips when loaded. Its only a problem with plastic mags. All being said the saiga 12 mag is built to be used in an AK, ruff and tuff. Go for it.

Its only a problem with plastic mags.

I've had feed lip problems on cheap metal mags in a Ruger P95. The thin metal would bend opening up the lips allowing the round to feed too early in the cycle.

OP: Every box mag in my safe has been fully loaded since the day I've acquired them. Some of those mags are over 20 years old, and they all feed perfect.

I did a search for this question I'm about to ask and didn't find an answer, so I figured this would be the place to ask it:

Can I leave the MD20 loaded for long periods of time or is that not recommended?

I figure since we're on the topic of leaving mags loaded, I'd ask about leaving drums loaded!

Can I leave the MD20 loaded for long periods of time or is that not recommended?

From MD Arms' site:

"You can also leave a drum stored fully loaded with no harm done to the spring."

That won't hurt the drum at all. The only concern I could see is if you left the loaded drum in the Saiga with the bolt closed. That might deform the top shell a little over time and could cause a feeding issue. Other than that, you're good to go.

If it's a concern about wearing out the spring in the drum, MD Arms DOES sell replacement springs. They're good to have as a spare part, but I doubt mine will ever wear out. Click on the MD Arms quote for the link.

Corbin