Nato vs Warsaw Buttstock

Ok, I was on K-VAR's website looking at their SGL21 series and noticed they came with either the Nato length or the Warsaw length buttstock. Could someone enlighten me as to the difference, pro's and con's? Is one better than the other?

Thanks

Oops, misspelled Warsaw in title.

Edited by E'ville Gunner

Warsaw pact length is what is issued with the Kalashnkikov.

Nato length is only sold at K-Var, as we Americans tend to be larger than the average Russian conscript.

Which one you choose depends on how you tend to shoot.

I personally prefer the Warsaw length.

Ok, I was on K-VAR's website looking at their SGL21 series and noticed they came with either the Nato length or the Warsaw length buttstock. Could someone enlighten me as to the difference, pro's and con's? Is one better than the other?

The Warsaw and NATO AK buttstocks are identical except for their length, so there aren't really any pros or cons between them aside from whether you would prefer a longer or shorter buttstock. Personally I like slightly longer buttstocks, so when I restored my Saiga 12 I went with the NATO length K-Var buttstock. On a side-note, I also like the K-Var buttstocks for their look and their trapdoor compartment in the buttplate (for storing a standard AK cleaning kit like the one that comes with every Saiga 12) which makes them virtually identical to the original Russian buttstocks. The Tapco AK buttstocks cost a little less than the K-Vars, but they have a slightly different shape than the original Russian buttstocks, and they don't have the trap-door storage compartment either. One last thing, if you plan to put a recoil pad on your stock, then you might then prefer the Warsaw length buttstock since the total length of pull won't be increased as much after the recoil pad has been added. I use a recoil pad on the NATO length buttstock I have on my Saiga 12 and like it just fine, but again I prefer a bit longer feel on a buttstock. Of course someone with your height would probably prefer a longer stock no matter what anyway.

Edited by Frogfoot
  • 4 months later...

It's probably a little late to post this now, but shorter stocks can be useful to taller people also. A longer stock is more comfortable in a bladed rifle shooting stance, whereas a shorter stock can be made more comfortable in the perpendicular carbine shooting stance. Also, you must consider if you'll ever be wearing a thick jacket, body armor, etc. The warsaw is about the same length as a fully collapsed AR stock.. a little longer perhaps. There are many people who use the collapsed stock for increased handling during rapid fire and close quarters. If you're just going to be shooting from a bladed stance at the bench.. go for NATO. Longer stocks can accidently get stuck in your armpit when mounting a little easier too.

Warsaw pact length is what is issued with the Kalashnkikov.

Nato length is only sold at K-Var, as we Americans tend to be larger than the average Russian conscript.

Which one you choose depends on how you tend to shoot.

I personally prefer the Warsaw length.

+1 Nalioth. If you use a more squared-off stance, the Warsaw length stock is generally better. If you use a more bladed stance, the NATO length is generally better. I much prefer the Warsaw length, even though I am a bit above average in height.

I like to get my nose as close to the receiver as possible, due to how far forward the rear sight is placed. So it's Warsaw for me.

I have a few AKs with NATO stocks and they don't quite feel right, but my buddy who is well over 6' likes them.

I also prefer the Warsaw length stock. I find that it's only "too short", if you're shooting in a more traditional rifle stance. The AK is a carbine, so I practice shooting it that way. I'm not a small guy, (6'1" with orangutan arms), but I found that once I got used to the squared-shoulder carbine stance, I came to prefer it. With your shoulders squared, it's a lot easier to keep a reasonable sight picture while moving and maneuvering through cover/buildings etc. Obviously the weapon's overall length is ~1.25" shorter with the Warsaw stock as well, which makes it easier to transport/store.

Also, just mho, but AK's just look wrong with the longer NATO stock attached.

ymmv.

Good point PA I use the same stance i use on the long rifles since that's what Im comfortable with so a longer stock works better. In fact I prefer a telescoping stock on my 308 but its not even close to carbine length. There is one thing that may not really be an issue but you are presenting a wider target squaring off like that just as you do if you chicken wing the trigger arm, something Ive taught myself not to do any longer since bringing that arm in close reduces profile and protects the chest area. Otherwise the carbine stance taught today is find and may be easier.

Don't you love items without patents protecting them?

That "UTG Butt extender" is a copy of the Soviet grenade launcher butt pad. The original was issued to those troops lucky enough to have a grenade-launching-capable Kalashnikov.