installing receiver block internal stock adapter

I now have a SGL 31 and i want to replace the stock. does it require gunsmithing to install the internal stock adapter and then the folding mechanism then eventually the stock. Is this a lot better than one that bolts on to the back of the receiver?

thanks in advance for any input

You have to cut the tang (the part that bolts the stock to the receiver). You'll have to cut it off and file it down to flush with the back of the receiver. I would recommend the MSA internal receiver block (if you can locate one), vs the the ace block. The ace block you have to file down to fit past the rear trunnion. Also, more mounting spots on the MSA adapter, which will fill up the holes left over from the conversion.

You have to cut the tang (the part that bolts the stock to the receiver). You'll have to cut it off and file it down to flush with the back of the receiver. I would recommend the MSA internal receiver block (if you can locate one), vs the the ace block. The ace block you have to file down to fit past the rear trunnion. Also, more mounting spots on the MSA adapter, which will fill up the holes left over from the conversion.

We have 2 that you do not have to file down and bolts in place for Ace stocks.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-372/Saiga-AK47-Internal-Stock/Detail?sfs=9ccf7773

They are not hard to install.

post-9063-12646276289124_thumb.jpg

post-9063-12646278098158_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Carolina, thanks i was on your site and had everything picked out..... turns out the gunsmith I usually go to and trust is very busy with his job so i can not a hold of him........ do i need a gunsmith or gunsmithing tools. I wanted the DPH solid sketleton stock, the internal block and the push button folding mechanism..... any suggestions...my other option is to go with the kvar AK BFS which just screws in to the external block and is eaay to install i am just not sure on the look....

thanks for any help in advance

I have installed 3 of those blocks by now. They are farily easy to install. Do you have any experience with power tools? All one would need to do is cut the tang off with the dremmel. You then might have to file or grind it flat by test fitting the internal block and keep filing any part that keeps it from going all the way in and lining up with the holes. Then you just put the screws in and call it good.

On one rifle I had to elongate some of the holes because they did not line up with the block to well, I think it was a mistake on the part of the reciever.

Carolina, thanks i was on your site and had everything picked out..... turns out the gunsmith I usually go to and trust is very busy with his job so i can not a hold of him........ do i need a gunsmith or gunsmithing tools. I wanted the DPH solid sketleton stock, the internal block and the push button folding mechanism..... any suggestions...my other option is to go with the kvar AK BFS which just screws in to the external block and is eaay to install i am just not sure on the look....

I recently installed an Ace skeleton stock with a folding mechanism on my S12 and an AK-BFS on my SGL21. Check out the comparison pics.

You don't need to be a gunsmith of even have a lot of experience with tools to install an internal receiver block, an Ace folding mechanism (I chose the non push-button variety, because people said that it's a bit more solid) and an Ace/Tromix/DPH stock.

I field-stripped the weapon, wrapped in in tin foil and automotive masking tape, until only the back tang was sticking out and put in a table vise. I then used a dremel with a standard, brown cut-off wheel to carefully "amputate" the tang. I then used a cylindrical metal griding dremel bit to grind down the remains of the tang, until it was almost flush and then finished it off with a file.

I then degreased/cleaned the area with acetone and applied some paint from a Birchwood Casey's black touch-up pen and let it dry a bit. Then, I inserted the receiver block and bolted it into place. Bolted the folding mechanism to the back of the receiver block and then bolted the stock onto it. No biggie. It looks and feels great - huge improvement over that Tapco AK folding stock I had on there before.

I chose the AK-BFS for my SGL21, because I didn't want to amputate the tang and keep the ability to mount standard non Ace/Tromix/DPH stocks. The external block on this stock does look a little weird, but everything is very solid, sturdy and ergonomically sound.

Now, if you wanted to install an integrated Bulgarian folder like they have on AK-74Ms and Arsenal SLR's, there's definitely gunsmithing involved - receiver has to be cut in several places, etc.

post-10789-12657467363888_thumb.jpg

post-10789-12657467485746_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I recently installed an Ace skeleton stock with a folding mechanism on my S12 and an AK-BFS on my SGL21. Check out the comparison pics.

You don't need to be a gunsmith of even have a lot of experience with tools to install an internal receiver block, an Ace folding mechanism (I chose the non push-button variety, because people said that it's a bit more solid) and an Ace/Tromix/DPH stock.

I field-stripped the weapon, wrapped in in tin foil and automotive masking tape, until only the back tang was sticking out and put in a table vise. I then used a dremel with a standard, brown cut-off wheel to carefully "amputate" the tang. I then used a cylindrical metal griding dremel bit to grind down the remains of the tang, until it was almost flush and then finished it off with a file.

I then degreased/cleaned the area with acetone and applied some paint from a Birchwood Casey's black touch-up pen and let it dry a bit. Then, I inserted the receiver block and bolted it into place. Bolted the folding mechanism to the back of the receiver block and then bolted the stock onto it. No biggie. It looks and feels great - huge improvement over that Tapco AK folding stock I had on there before.

I chose the AK-BFS for my SGL21, because I didn't want to amputate the tang and keep the ability to mount standard non Ace/Tromix/DPH stocks. The external block on this stock does look a little weird, but everything is very solid, sturdy and ergonomically sound.

Now, if you wanted to install an integrated Bulgarian folder like they have on AK-74Ms and Arsenal SLR's, there's definitely gunsmithing involved - receiver has to be cut in several places, etc.

Nice work Spetznaz

Regarding the ACE folder and stock, is everything in line with the receiver, or is it off angle?

Also, would you mind measuring for me how much length the folder and internal block extend past the end of the receiver? It appears to be about an inch or so.

Thanks!