work in progress

What do you have planned for sights?

Sights are going to a burris fastfireII mounted on a Ultimak rail that is cut down to the rear 4 inches. Thought maybe I could get a flip up rear sght as well to work with a AK conventional front sight.

On second thought Ultimak more like 3.5 inches and probably not to the flip rear sight.

And what does it take to mount that type of hand guard

Fabricated retainers and a way for them to be held in place

stock to match

Stock is going to be the Skeleton Izhmash folding stock.

Edited by red_cedar

I've said it before, but Red's S12 is my favorite project of all the one's I've seen. I'm a sucker for SVD parts and to see them on an S12 similar to a few of the Russian S12 versions is really cool.

Can't wait to see the final product!

(and are those mounting brackets ever going to get painted? :sadam::) )

Z

I've actually consider asking Red to see if he would make me a set, but that would mean I'd have to get another S12. I'm actually trying not to get another because I'll end up spending alot of money to get it like this:

S12_SVD_Handguard_httpwww.exclusivegun.ru.gif

Z

This how it looks now, but a lot of work still ahead. Im trying to avoid going the Dinzag rear sight block route due to the cost and wanting something different to the russian version but also the intended optics use. Want to put a Burris fastfire II on.

I like the more sturdy optics mount then just useing the existing dovetail like I have seen.

The retainers I plan on haveing them milled from solid metal rather then what they are now. Now, the retainers are a combination of 2 gauges of steel sheet, 16 and 18, and sllver soldered.

The handguards are thicker and slightly larger then regular SVD handguards to allow for more of a hold towards the back and the barrel of the saiga 12 being thicker.

My next project after this one will be like what Tx-Zen has, the classic AK rifle look.

Lucky for me I have another saiga waiting for a its makeover.

The wood I thought came out nice,has a nice look to it in person and pretty time consumeing to do since its basicly hand carved with a dremel.

Just waiting on the Izhmash shipment due to arrive to have it look a bit differnt still.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

IMGP0244.jpg

Edited by red_cedar